Incredibly poor VR performance

I know this game is not the best optimized for VR. And I know this game is very CPU bound, but i feel that im having some sort of issue.. No matter what settings I choose, I cant pass 60 fps. Im talking everything on the absolute lowest or off to the point where it looks like a PS1 game. No matter what i choose the performance is in the 50s maybe hitting a little above 60 sometimes. and this is with no other cars on track either. I also have afterburner and rivastuner off. Verified game files and everything. Any suggestions? My system specs are in my sig.

That wasnt the issue. But thank you anyway
That would be because vsync doesn't actually do anything when running a game in VR.

What headset are you using and what are your specs? Are you actually seeing any stuttering, or are you more concerned with an FPS counter? Note that hitting the "magic" 90fps is going to be very difficult even with newer hardware. You'll probably have to enable ASW to get smooth performance. I know some are automatically against doing so, especially if they suffer motion sickness, but it is what it is. Personally I don't have a problem with it (and thankfully never really get VR sickness) and R3E runs butter-smooth on medium/high settings for me.

• Deleted member 197115

That would be because vsync doesn't actually do anything when running a game in VR.

What headset are you using and what are your specs? Are you actually seeing any stuttering, or are you more concerned with an FPS counter? Note that hitting the "magic" 90fps is going to be very difficult even with newer hardware. You'll probably have to enable ASW to get smooth performance. I know some are automatically against doing so, especially if they suffer motion sickness, but it is what it is. Personally I don't have a problem with it (and thankfully never really get VR sickness) and R3E runs butter-smooth on medium/high settings for me.
It's mirror screen, R3E VR seems to sync framerates to mirror, at least in my experience with WMR headsets on 60hz monitor as I couldn't get over 60fps no matter what until explicitly disabled VSync in NVidia game profile.
And @Greg Latty, in general with GSync the recommendation is actually force VSync to On in driver and disable in games.
But as you have it disabled perhaps there is some other issue in your case, I had big performance drop with time progression enabled, check that, otherwise just follow this guide.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Currently running a HP Reverb g2. PC specs are in my signature. It doesnt feel too stuttery but it doesnt feel smooth either. It actually makes me feel a little ill after a while. Not sure if its motion sickness but it comes to a point where i have to take a break sooner than other sims.
It's mirror screen, R3E VR seems to sync framerates to mirror, at least in my experience with WMR headsets on 60hz monitor as I couldn't get over 60fps no matter what until explicitly disabled VSync in NVidia game profile.
And @Greg Latty, in general with GSync the recommendation is actually force VSync to On in driver and disable in games.
But as you have it disabled perhaps there is some other issue in your case, I had big performance drop with time progression enabled, check that, otherwise just follow this guide.
Good luck.
my screen isnt mirrored when playing this. I just get a black screen . My monitor is 144hz as well. Also i noticed time progression was set to 10x yesterday. I turned that off. Didnt help with performance but that might have helped a little with the uneasiness i was feeling . Havent played long enough yet to test after i switched it.

PC specs are in my signature.
I don't have signatures enabled.

It actually makes me feel a little ill after a while. Not sure if its motion sickness...
It almost certainly is. It can vary a lot between different people, if they get it at all, and it doesn't necessarily take a super-choppy game running at 10fps to cause it. Personally it takes a constant sub-30fps before I feel anything at all, yet a friend of mine suffers the moment ASW kicks in for more than a few seconds (45fps on their CV1).

As well as the in-game settings, I assume you've already tried dropping the pixel density / supersampling to lower levels?

Currently running a HP Reverb g2. PC specs are in my signature. It doesnt feel too stuttery but it doesnt feel smooth either. It actually makes me feel a little ill after a while. Not sure if its motion sickness but it comes to a point where i have to take a break sooner than other sims.

Yep, I could never get RaceRoom to run well with the G2 at all - Frame drops all over the place. I went back to my G1 and it was as smooth as silk - constant 90FPS, bar the very odd drop every now and then.

To be truthful I really couldn't get the G2 to run right at all, which is weird as it's the same resolution and frame rate as the G1 which runs absolutely fine on pretty much anything I throw at it. My specs are 9900k 32gb, 2080 Ti ASUS factory overclocked.

So the G2 is back in it's box while I wonder what the hell to do with it.

• Deleted member 197115

I could get 90fps with G2 at around 75-80% SS, but in the end just opted for 100% SS @60hz and higher graphics settings. To my eyes it's a better compromise.
This is with 3080/i9-9900K.

BTW, did you opt out of WMR beta, it had issues with R3E.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have signatures enabled.

It almost certainly is. It can vary a lot between different people, if they get it at all, and it doesn't necessarily take a super-choppy game running at 10fps to cause it. Personally it takes a constant sub-30fps before I feel anything at all, yet a friend of mine suffers the moment ASW kicks in for more than a few seconds (45fps on their CV1).

As well as the in-game settings, I assume you've already tried dropping the pixel density / supersampling to lower levels?
O ok Sorry. My rig is a 3090 ftw3 ultra., 9700k, 32gb 3200 ddr4. Windows 10 , ssd. And yes i tried lowering the SS to 70?
Yep, I could never get RaceRoom to run well with the G2 at all - Frame drops all over the place. I went back to my G1 and it was as smooth as silk - constant 90FPS, bar the very odd drop every now and then.

To be truthful I really couldn't get the G2 to run right at all, which is weird as it's the same resolution and frame rate as the G1 which runs absolutely fine on pretty much anything I throw at it. My specs are 9900k 32gb, 2080 Ti ASUS factory overclocked.

So the G2 is back in it's box while I wonder what the hell to do with it.
thats a bummer. This remains one of my favorite sims and I cant really enjoy it currently because I only race if VR. I have no choice. Theres no monitor in front of my Wheel.
I could get 90fps with G2 at around 75-80% SS, but in the end just opted for 100% SS @60hz and higher graphics settings. To my eyes it's a better compromise.
This is with 3080/i9-9900K.

BTW, did you opt out of WMR beta, it had issues with R3E.
yah I couldnt even start the game without opting out of WMR for steam beta.

CV1 with 1080ti here, no issue in VR with any SIM, it works good even with ACC, but in R3E, I have super bad stuttering very often, only in VR, in pancake, no issue. I do not have high settings, which I use with all other SIM and only 11 opponents.
Any help appreciated, as I am enjoying the FFB but not going to use my game with the stuttering.

CV1 with 1080ti here, no issue in VR with any SIM, it works good even with ACC, but in R3E, I have super bad stuttering very often, only in VR, in pancake, no issue. I do not have high settings, which I use with all other SIM and only 11 opponents.
Any help appreciated, as I am enjoying the FFB but not going to use my game with the stuttering.
Same here, CV1 and 1080ti. Solved many problems with "open composite". Now its play smooth.

Sucks that open composite is only for oculus. Ive actually started playing raceroom on my reverb g2 buttery smooth maxed out with wmr motion smoothing enabled. I was always completely against this because in other games it gave a weird ghosting effect and made me feel a little sick. But for whatever reason it works fantastic in raceroom and i can have everything cranked up. And 100% ss in steam vr as well as 2x aa. Looks just about as sharp as on a monitor. Im in love. I did have to turn down reflections a notch to get some start line stutters out.

Here you have the instructions:

It's seem complicated, but is easy.
Thank you, you saved the day, no more stuttering, runs very smooth. and you are also right that it is super easy to download and install, 5 minutes affair. :):thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 436 39.5%