Paul Jeffrey

Premium
LA Canyons 1.jpg LA Canyons 2.jpg LA Canyons 3.jpg LA Canyons 5.jpg LA Canyons 6.jpg LA Canyons 7.jpg
Take a video tour of one of the biggest (and best) tracks in sim racing.

LA Canyons for Assetto Corsa is an incredible creation by community member @Phoenix77. Spanning a ridiculous 42km in length for the standard version (with a further 73km available by way of donation), the mod is by far and away one of the largest and most impressive pieces of road anywhere within the sim racing genre.

You can download LA Canyons V0.81 here.

LA Canyons 4.jpg

Developed as a labour of love, the mod has grown beyond measure in the months since it initially surfaced here at RaceDepartment back in April 2017. What started out as an ambitions dream to build a large scale recreation of some incredible Californian road has turned into something of a masterpiece by Phoenix 77 and friends. Featuring tight and twisty sections joined together by super fast curves through the scenic backdrop of California, LA Canyons is a visual as well as a driving treat for simulation racers.

Covering an incredible 900km² of California mountains and canyons, this is a seriously massive mod for AC that easily ramps up the scale initially thought possible in AC. Main roads, side roads, service stations... it's all in this track! If ever you fancied something a little different to the traditional Grand Prix style circuit, then LA Canyons is for you!

@Phoenix77 said of the development of LA Canyons:

Well the inspiration for the canyons came from seeing a video on 'The Smoking Tire' YouTube channel... Specifically this 488GTB video was the trigger...

There were many, many hurdles to overcome with this build, mostly due to knowing what a certain command or feature in Max was called... and what menu to find it hiding in! Also there has been a lot of work organising the scenery and roads into small enough pieces to get it into the Kunos editor, naming road meshes to get different surfaces.

Another hurdle was using 110 million polys (at one stage) when getting the high resolution road meshes (optimised back to a more reasonable 1.8 million polys).... My PC only really liked working up to 10 million polys at a time... so there was plenty of dividing and organising.

I'm pretty proud of spending approximately a month or so getting the roads lined up to the stupidly high res satellite photo... And to hear the people local to the area say it's very accurate... I was extremely pleased to hear that...

I've lost track now (no pun intended)... but I think 6 or 7 people local to the area have said the roads are very accurate to the real roads. Maybe not perfectly accurate... but using a starting satellite image with 5.6 billion pixels certainly helped!

Version 0.5's total rework was started around January 2018, so approximately 9 - 10 months work for the rebuild... until where it's at now. Hundreds of hours.

That's not including the hundreds of hours Ben O' Bro (Caterham author) has put into the foliage and lots and lots of the detailing. Not to mention all the help he's provided me for 3DS Max. He's been an absolute star!

I can't state enough just how helpful Ben has been to this project... One of the coolest dudes on Race Department... and has supported this crazy project almost since day one... By recommending plugins and scripts that would prove useful.

Also the guy who recorded the AI lines... went to the trouble of learning Blender just so he could help out with the track edge boundaries... And is a really awesome, consistent driver to record a 42km AI line... It takes an hour just waiting for an AI line to save around the canyons!

LA Canyons 10.jpg

Available to download HERE, LA Canyons is not only the largest track mod currently available for Assetto Corsa, but arguably one of the best. Out of the very top drawer in terms of quality and performance, nothing you see within this mod has been done quickly or without the due care and attention a project of this scale deserves.

The level of foliage density, the track road mesh, the seemingly endless number of offshoots and viewing points to enjoy are all designed to take the breath away and give the player yet more reason to sit back and marvel at what has been achieved here with this track.

If you like to go fast, sideways, slowly or in pursuit of others or on your own, LA Canyons feels like it can cater for just about any taste you might have.

Let's put it this way, the track is as awesome as it is large.. and it's one large track.

LA Canyons 9.jpg
LA Canyons 8.jpg

Finishing of a with a few final words from the author, if people thought LA Canyons was near completion, think again!

What is left to do...The same detail on the extra roads... around the same amount of work again, maybe even a little more. I have some template elements made up, road signs, barrier sections... so some of the work is already done. Oh, and a large chunk of the terrain is already done.

Some more road edge smoothing, checking on google street view where barriers / road signs are placed. I've adjusted the road signs a little as cars will be obviously driving a lot faster than in real life... and also moved some a little earlier to server as braking markers more effectively.

Terrain textures have plenty of room for further improvement... mainly work on the mask... and diffuse (colourmap), then blending all the textures better when it's setup 100%. I will also be making some Helicopter cameras for it...

So all in all, a pretty exceptional mod looks like it will be getting better still in the months to come. I can't wait..

Please, if you download a mod here at RaceDepartment, spare a thought for the modders who put in such incredible work for us to enjoy. Leave a comment and rating for the mod, and let those responsible for continuing to bring us such entertainment know how you feel about their work.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

So then, what do you think of it? Leave a comment below!

Last edited:
question, do you get that vibrating ffb when you get really far out near the edges? you know, that thing ac physics does when you get really far from the center point of the map? my csw has been known to react pretty harshly to it, the worst i remember being on the isle of man mod with an f1 car. i wanna donate for the extra roads, but id hate to not be able to enjoy them for this reason.

question, do you get that vibrating ffb when you get really far out near the edges? you know, that thing ac physics does when you get really far from the center point of the map? my csw has been known to react pretty harshly to it, the worst i remember being on the isle of man mod with an f1 car. i wanna donate for the extra roads, but id hate to not be able to enjoy them for this reason.
I have extra content becouse i donated after first drives this track when it was 0.3 version. I think what we get for free deserves our support. There are hundreds hours of hard work and passion and we get hundreds hours of fun. Since then this track has not stopped improving quality and immersion.

Extra content needs work to get the level of free content but i assure you it's worth it. I drive from one end to the other and on my G25 i have no serious vibration problems.

Nobody here will need help installing this mod but for those who do or if you want to learn how to install it easier using the Content Manager perhaps check our my AC guide (timestamps included so you can jump to relevant section) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It's such an amazing track, and the VIP roads up the mountains are great for drifting. Driving in the canyon with my Oculus Rift in free roam is just relaxing, and in VR you really see how steep some roads are and how high the mountains are. my favorite mod in AC :)

Yes, there's vibration at far away points on the just a few of the extra roads. It's only for a couple of km, but surely not F1 friendly. Not a huge issue with GT cars and certainly is not worth crying over if you donated.

But to Paul, yeah definitely the to-go to road mod of them all and it's a blast in VR.

Oh hell yeah!

If anyone can help me get a decent result with VR and OBS I'm all for it :)

I've had a small attempt with very bad results, will be trying again at some stage soon... (VR/OBS experts reading this, please PM me :) )
Isn't ac creating a window on your desktop you could capture and use? Going to be hell on your 980Ti tho

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 256 13.4%