Incident Report Season 6 Race 5 Melbourne

Nicholas, I was too much motivated on start. I thought I could close the gap to place 3 with accelerating as much as possible. In my view it looked like it was possible to accelerate that hard. That I took Alex space was not my aim.
The last races had been without any starting incidents for me. The end of this start was definetly not my plan but I think this is the characteristic of racing. People do mistakes, sometimes it hits yourself and sometimes you hit someone without intending it.
I am also real racing and in karting it is normal to try getting in front as fast as you can, with an additional "step by step overtaking" in race.
Perhaps I have to reduce my starting emotions to improve the safety of all of us. =)
Sorry again.

Your argumentation is ok for me :) I also made a mistake at Silverstone which destroyed your race. (But it shouldn't happen in the first lap)

I bet the real Karts won't spin so easy by a small contact, would they? :)

(start watching at 6.05min.)
If you are contacted unluckily you also spin easily. First of all after only 2 warm up laps with cold tires and cold breaks we have the same problem.
Thank you for your understanding =)

TS: 142, contact with Alex

I exited turn 2 behind Jim who was side by side with Sean, I could not see much of what was happing at the front more than the back of Jims car when suddenly I saw a yellow car going sideways then came back on me with big impact sending my car in the air, rolling over the fence, hitting the bridge and landing in the park..

I did not ask for a restart at first as I thought it was only 2 drivers retired me and Alex and that might not be enough to call for a restart, but then I saw many derivers going in the pit for repair and they were asking for a restart, so I was hoping the race director will restart the race but after couple of laps I lost the hope and left the game.

I am sorry for sending couple of messages right after the incident “not fair- I stopped racing” , I normally do not do that but today after the incident I was expressing my frustration and disappointment . for me It was clear in the e-mail send by the race director where he was stressing on the golden rule “safety before the competition “ and not taking big risks in this race , especially in the first lap or two, and for me to comply with the rules and to avoid any excuse from my side that I am driving with one arm I had to put lots and lots of practice to be able to drive my car as safe as possible and to keep it on track for the whole race without causing any trouble to anyone who worked hard for this race so we can all enjoy some decent racing , I even jumped on the server at 4:10 AM to start practicing, I was so excited for this moment to come to see my race ending couple of turns from the start.

All I can say that I was unlucky to be there like the rest of the guys who were caught up by that incident, but hopefully we learn something for the next race.

- I had big lagging today, Tim steam messaged me before the race that he had the same problem and this might have caused the sync issue for his incident with David.

Congratulations to Reik , Tim, Fabian and all survivors.

After watching the replay several times without any emotions from reading the incident reports I have to say that my driving isn´t nearly that bad as Nicholai describes it. ("This is in my view very poor driving of Fabian!") Why are you talking that bad about me? Look the replay in my onboard perspective and in zoomed outside perspective and you can see that I didn´t change my driving line and accelerated with (only!) a little spin of wheels and no big drift. Alex touched my side with trying to hold the 4th place. (100% normal behaviour in a RACE from both sides, no critique Alex). Please look the replay from different perspectives. With the first look it really could be understood wrong. Yesterday I was really shocked when I read Alex´s report because I didn´t even notice the crash. I was 100% sure that I stayed fair in lap one and in the rest of race.
It was a hard fight but no unfair try to get somebody offroad. Where will we end if we are always driving only 150% safely and 50% away from the limit? It will be that boring that you can´t concetrate and crash because of driving too safe. If an accident happens in front of you and the yellow flags are shown 5 seconds before you arrive the place you have to reduce your speed, stop overtaking and try to get safe out of the dangerous situation. I think many crashed that hard and the incident escalated to such a "massacre" because everybody tried to use the situation to improve places without driving more careful. It is only impossible to avoid if you are directly following and you can´t react because of only little view.
I don´t want to say with this post that we have to drive less safe or more risky. I wan´t that we all are racing with a HEALTHY amount of aggression, fairness and that we never lose the sense of motorsports.
Everybody of us wants to finnish the race. Everybody trained hard for it and alone with this feeling everybody is trying to get through turn one without an incident. Espescially with restarts and "safer" and "safer" driving we will destroy the online racing fun. If I want to restart with every bigger incident I can also play offline and click as often on escape until I can´t see the game anymore.
With online racing we want to realise racing virtually. In real life you cannot restart too.

I think we all are grown- up men who want to race a simulation and no children who are playing Mariokart.

grats reik tim and nice 3 place fabian :))!!!
on the start car avant me start slow so me too!! and i give street at many peaple for not caused any incident!!!
first than conctact with cristian i give too street at bob and andy,on my left andy , on my rigth bob so im in the centre can t see what happen avant cristian ... not can understant the gravity from incident i try brake but push cristian ,im sry !in replay i see what me and andy push in the same moment cristian !!
later anys corners i see what nicolas have unlachy with pc , and happen incident in this moment im rear bob 0.500 gap rear bob so when bob broken is inevitable conctact and can see in the raplay what i try broke!!!!! t 1473 i take my first reverse car!!is my fault inevitable crash sry david ;(((( t30902 corner first i take my 2 reverse car sosp problem so try go in pit for repair but my carblock in turn 5 many daungerous big big sryfor valter im very sry for it!!!! in ather situation i know what is correct ritired from race but , my season this year take a unlachy way so i be little frustating and not focus good!!! and i think only what want save my race !!! still big sry valter for destroy your race !!!

After watching the replay several times without any emotions from reading the incident reports I have to say that my driving isn´t nearly that bad as Nicholai describes it. ("This is in my view very poor driving of Fabian!") Why are you talking that bad about me?

I am sorry I worded myself that way. I understand it was provocative although it was not my intension. All I try to do is to focus 100% on the incident. It could be that your replay tells a different story than the server replay. But the server replay do clearly show that your car behaves somewhat different than the other cars (except one car further back that also makes a seemingly dangerous move).

I think the only thing Alex could have done differently is to leave more room on his inside. Then again, if he was unsure if somebody could be on his outside he did right in leaving room on both sides and going in a "straight" line. Either way it is hard to blame Alex, because he did leave sufficient room.

I have made a video clip that I'll upload that demonstrates my point. I think this is important for everybody, it is important in regards of predictable driving etc.

The arrow in the start of the video points to Alex and Fabian, who is just about to sneak up on Alex's inside. In regards to the other cars, pay particular attention to those that go side by side.

EDIT: And yes Fabian, I agree that many contributed to making the accident much larger than it needed to be.

http://blip.tv/file/4960122

grats reik tim and nice 3 place fabian :))!!!
on the start car avant me start slow so me too!! and i give street at many peaple for not caused any incident!!!
first than conctact with cristian i give too street at bob and andy,on my left andy , on my rigth bob so im in the centre can t see what happen avant cristian ... not can understant the gravity from incident i try brake but push cristian ,im sry !in replay i see what me and andy push in the same moment cristian !!
later anys corners i see what nicolas have unlachy with pc , and happen incident in this moment im rear bob 0.500 gap rear bob so when bob broken is inevitable conctact and can see in the raplay what i try broke!!!!! t 1473 i take my first reverse car!!is my fault inevitable crash sry david ;(((( t30902 corner first i take my 2 reverse car sosp problem so try go in pit for repair but my carblock in turn 5 many daungerous big big sryfor valter im very sry for it!!!! in ather situation i know what is correct ritired from race but , my season this year take a unlachy way so i be little frustating and not focus good!!! and i think only what want save my race !!! still big sry valter for destroy your race !!!
Don't worry mate, we might get another chance on Wednesday.

Fabian, I completely agree with you in terms of fighting in a race. The most fun developes out of great fights. :)

BUT the first lap is a different story! And the only way to avoid huge accidents is to reduce agressivnes for the first turns.

An experienced driver should have known, that cold and harder tires (in difference to qualy setup) can easily cause oversteer if you accelerate 100% through this long left hander (turn 2). The fact that you didn't take it into account is judged as "poor" driving, I think.

This has nothing to do with driving 150% safe through the whole race!

And you had a very good alternative in this situation: Just lift the throttle a little, dive into Alex' slip stream on the straight and make an outbreaking maneuver in the following sharp right hander.

PS: I know that it's easy to say such things afterwards, but we should do so. Because we show our best respect to Nicos hard work, if we learn from such situations. Be sure that I don't mean only you, but all of us (me included!).

We shouldn't forgett, that this event causes much, much more work for Nico than a normal event, because there's definately much more things to handle.

An experienced driver should have known, that cold and harder tires (in difference to qualy setup) can easily cause oversteer if you accelerate 100% through this long left hander (turn 2). The fact that you didn't take it into account is judged as "poor" driving, I think.

Yes, something like that... or, it is not easy to know exactly what happened, that is where I hoped you (Fabian) could help us out. For me it could look like you lost a little control over your car when going on Alex' inside. It looks like you turn a bit too much to the left (so you are about to drive on the inside curb) then you over-compansate to the right and end up leaving the safe inside lane and make contact with Alex.

Here is a link to a video taken from above:
http://blip.tv/file/4960122

Hello Nicholas,

when I am at home I will upload the original replay video, cutted with every perspective.
In your view it changes the circumstances. Why do you simulate the video complexly instead of copying the original easily?

I don´t know what I have to say anymore. I will post the original later, and I think it will show the facts and everybody can build his opinion.

In your view it changes the circumstances. Why do you simulate the video complexly instead of copying the original easily?

I do not understand what this mean? The video is a helicopter view of the server (official) replay. But please, post a video from your own replay, it will be very helpful in understanding the whole picture.

And please stop thinking/suggesting that I am not objective. This incident alone is taking a lot of my spear time. The drivers themselves are supposed to do this, but I prefere (for the time being) to help them out instead of disqualifying them from the league from failing to do so.

Let's wait with further discussion until you have posted your video.

I am sorry I want to apologize for my false accusation. I didn´t see the crash in the video and have never seen such a perspective in this game yet. It really looks different in the helicopter perspective and I really didn´t believe that it was the original replay from above.
Here is my video:
It really looks different. It was only a minimal contact which is even hard to see in Alex´s view.

I hope you can see that I tried to hold my line.

This is my last post for this incident and hope that we wont have such big problems in Sepang.

See you on track!

Fabian

Right then i have just watched it again on my laptop and i would have to say that was just racing> you cant say that there was not much room as in racing theer was room on your right to move not much but it was there.

Also by looking at that it looks like both of you came of the turn with the same speed but Alex got a little wheel spin and the car moved.

Like I said put that down to racing its just a pitty it was at the start and so many people out of the race but that is how it is some times.

So maybe some points to remember.

At the start go a little bit easy As they say you cant win a race in T1 you can only lose.

Give a little bit more room then you think you need they are games and some times game mess up aswell.

And remember to finish first, first you must finish.

Here is my summary on the incident with Fabian.

1) I could (not HAD TO) move to the right side of that curve to leave more space for Fabian.
2) Fabian had to (not simply COULD) be easy on accelerating.

P.S. Wayne, I did not get any wheel spin until Fabian (who had that little wheel spin) touched my car.

1) I could (not HAD TO) move to the right side of that curve to leave more space for Fabian.

Just wondering, at what point did you know he was on your inside? I assume you left the room open as you couldn't know if your inside was clear or not, but did you at any point see/know that Fabian was there before the contact? And, what did you know about your "outside" if you know what I mean.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back