Skins in game steering wheel skin modding.

Content Manager. It has a paint shop to paint car interiors, though the usefulness of that (or whether you can even paint steering wheel with that) varies a lot from car to car.

For more advanced skinning you will need Photoshop some other image editing software with .dds plugin to work on the textures. Open the car in CM Showroom, select steering wheel. I took the default leather.dds texture and added a red hue to it, result is nice red steering wheel that keeps the leather texture. For this car (Lotus 3-Eleven) it could have been done with CM paint shop as well

xBBaCtj.png

Note that with many cars painting the leather.dds (or whatever is the name for that particular car, it changes per car) will result in other parts of the interior getting painted as well. So if you want to paint just the steering wheel, use txDiffuse (often but not always called INT_Cockpit_OCC.dds) and then use alpha channel to determine which parts are painted (white alpha) or default (black alpha)

Last edited:
Content Manager. It has a paint shop to paint car interiors, though the usefulness of that (or whether you can even paint steering wheel with that) varies a lot from car to car.

For more advanced skinning you will need Photoshop some other image editing software with .dds plugin to work on the textures. Open the car in CM Showroom, select steering wheel. I took the default leather.dds texture and added a red hue to it, result is nice red steering wheel that keeps the leather texture. For this car (Lotus 3-Eleven) it could have been done with CM paint shop as well

Note that with many cars painting the leather.dds (or whatever is the name for that particular car, it changes per car) will result in other parts of the interior getting painted as well. So if you want to paint just the steering wheel, use txDiffuse (often but not always called INT_Cockpit_OCC.dds) and then use alpha channel to determine which parts are painted (white alpha) or default (black alpha)

thanks to share I know this content stuff but only exteriorial things all I found then I found 3dsimed3 that's exactly what I need but keep in mind that content customization too :) actually I'm not a pro modder just minor detail what I want make so I using photoshop quite bit.yeah all I need dds files and I found it with 3dsimed3 which make adjustments on texture of dds. but modeling is larger than life is another world and I'm not good at it.

xBBaCtj.png

Hello! Can i ask how i can replace the default steering wheel with a custom one? I saw many videos and none of them show it its just rims and other useless stuff for me. So it would be very appreciated if you would show/tell me that.

I am fairly new to modding and learning my bits as I move along slowly.

Here are a few pitfalls you want to try to avoid that have cost me a lot of time and frustration:

Don't Ever Use 3Dsimed Ever … except for file conversions where it is the only choice in some obscure file formats.
3Dsimed is a great app for what it is and Dave does a great job supporting it and he deserves the modes money he asks for a license but it is NOT the easy to use all in one tool it often is understood for beginners.
If you try to do things in 3Dsimed you should normally be doing in a proper 3D app or KSeditor you will find quickly that 3Dsimed messes up your data and causes you a big amount of work and dirty files which are a mess to work with.
Avoid 3Dsimed if you can.

Best app to assign and work with shader: still good old KSeditor - it may not look as fancy as some of the more advanced tools but it does indeed produce the cleanest data without issues.

2D texture files use your favorite (I like photoshop best but Gimp should be just as capable with a slightly different UI)

UV mapping - Blender is open source and free to use and is incredibly powerful (and just as complex with an immensely steep learning curve).
I have banged my head many times on the desk in frustration of its incredibly over complicated UI and its illogical ways of operation. Learning Blender is the equivalent of having to learn Russian to read Russian to Chinese language text books and then to UNLEARN Russian completely in order to make space to finally be able to read the Chinese -> Blender manual to learn about Blender.
Forget everything you have ever learned about 3D applications and start from scratch with Blender.
It can do pretty much anything it is just incredibly difficult to learn from scratch.

There are no short cuts. Ever.

I thought I could get by with Content Manager + 3Dsimed + my 3D application of choice and I had to quickly learn that this "easy way" does not net results.

3D design in whatever app you like -> sort your 3D project in Blender -> do the UV mapping in Blender -> create your textures in Photoshop / Gimp -> assign shaders, textures in KSeditor -> check everything in Content Manager -> run the same loop to make adjustments.
Make sure you have this workflow streamlined and clean and make sure to use your Blender project as the main hub for all changes you do and have it in sync with your KSeditor persistence and your final KN5 file (so do NOT make shader adjustments in Content Manager but do them in KSeditor and save to persistence file)

If you just want to replace a given texture of an individual skin on an object all you need is Content Manager + Photoshop/Gimp.

If you want to change a skin on an object permanently (not just for an individual skin) you need:
Content Manager + KSEditor + Photoshop/Gimp.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%