In game anti aliasing improvements wanted

Hi All

Now that we have AMS2 and ACC, what used to be great graphics are now average due to us being spoilt by the rather lovely rendering of the tracks in the later games.

Generally I think the quality of the AC tracks is really nice and some of the aftermarket tracks are truly great, but one thing that I have not been able to tame that lets it down are the jaggies. I was thrashing round the Kyalami circuit yesterday in the great F312T4 mod, but I kept on being distracted by the jagged lines of the power cables and the kerbs. Subjectively they are a bit worse on this track than some others, but they are noticeable on most tracks.

I have everything turned up to max (or at least I think I have) on the graphics card, framerate is not an issue so I want to know what else I can do to improve it. The monitor resolution is 2560 x 1080, which as stated above gives really nice graphics with ACC and AMS2, so while I accept that a higher resolution monitor will help, clearly there is posible improvement.

So, what can be done to help this?

By the way, I have the SOL mod running as well

Cheers

Les

Last edited:
CSP adds some better post processing anti aliasing options. Have a look in the options for CSP in content manager and you will find a bunch of possibilities like CMAA which on high quality can do a lot for the jaggies. I still utulise MSAA 4x om VR since its one of the better methods for a game like AC but as CSP adds more and more lighting features more artifacts appear so it is worth checking out the extent of the post processed AA. CSP really is just modernising the entire engine and what you can do with it.

Sometimes higher is not better, especially as shadow quality is concerned. You need it to be set matching your resolution+fov, not just the highest available option. Although for power cables it's more likely just plain not enough AA/AF.

Last edited:
Downsampling can help here a lot if you can handle the fps loss (you said you can).
Earlier with my old Full HD Res. Monitor i downsampled AC @ 2k.
It looked superb and helped a lot with Aliasing.

After the change to 21:9 AC is the only game which was really looking better before.

Another thing is - within the graphics driver activate in Transparency Antialiasing 2xSSAA or even 4x SSAA. This will kill some fps too, but give another big visual upgrade.

Last edited:
I had been using forced SGSSAA via nvidia inspector until CSP implemented TAA.
Hands down one of the best TAA's I've ever seen in any game!

With 4x SGSSAA I still had jaggies on shadows, kerbs and other thin things.
The pixel crawling of the shadows in front of you on the tarmac were the most annoying.

There's also "Cable Antialiasing" now.

Here are the settings:
CSP Version: 0.1.71 (0.1.72 has new interior reflections and I really don't like that look!)

Extra FX: active (not by default)
-> Temporal anti-aliasing: active

Track Adjustments: active
-> Cables AA

Here's a quick comparison with only 2x MSAA vs 2x MSAA+TAA. As you know, standstill pictures look 1000x better than in motion. I can tell you, without TAA the cobblestone-reflection-shimmering is killing my eyes!
But actually, you can see it best with the Cables:
1612912873610.png

Full pictures:

With TAA:
AC_2xMSAA+TAA.jpg

Without TAA (but Cable AA):
AC_2xMSAA+CableAA.jpg

Without TAA and without Cable AA:
AC_2xMSAA.jpg

Last edited:
I just use the standard AAx8 and AFx16 in the AC video options. Turn off FXAA.

Turn off the CM AA variants in CM Graphics Options. All blurry.

Enable ExtraFX and enable TAA. Mess around with the settings of this for best effect for you.

Didn't know about the Cable AA.

Never had to use the Nvidia Control Panel settings as I am happy with in game settings.

Resolution can play a big part especially if you have Nvidia and can run some DSR resolutions higher than native monitor. You just need to balance resolution against performance.

Sadly triple screen users cant enjoy this

as it is only available for single screen users :(
Since you have a 30xx card iirc?
You can download the latest driver and use "dldssr" or whatever that new stuff is called!
I didn't test it yet but it's a combo of dlss and dsr.
It works for any game!

Dlss renders your image to a higher resolution via the tensor cores on your gpu and then scales it down with the old dsr algorithm (maybe optimized or some AI magic on top) to give you a supersampling effect.

Since you have a 30xx card iirc?
You can download the latest driver and use "dldssr" or whatever that new stuff is called!
I didn't test it yet but it's a combo of dlss and dsr.
It works for any game!

Dlss renders your image to a higher resolution via the tensor cores on your gpu and then scales it down with the old dsr algorithm (maybe optimized or some AI magic on top) to give you a supersampling effect.
I have downloaded the latest driver in hope to test it but there is nothing in the driver once I enabled surround. Even NIS disappears with surround.

One thing that does help clean up the image is high fps (massive surprise to me) but still AC could use better AA and I do recall TAA did look good on a single.

I have downloaded the latest driver in hope to test it but there is nothing in the driver once I enabled surround. Even NIS disappears with surround.

One thing that does help clean up the image is high fps (massive surprise to me) but still AC could use better AA and I do recall TAA did look good on a single.
Ah crap...
What monitors are you using?
I've read that with gsync compatible monitors, sometimes surround isn't even possible or some settings become inactive.
Only with true gsync monitors, everything works for sure.
But maybe this doesn't matter at all and surround in general, gsync or not, will deactivate dsr and some other things :(

About high fps = better anti aliasing:
At high fps, the pixel crawling / flickering edges simply become "invisible" to your eye because they flicker too fast.
It's like on old crt monitors/TV when going from 60 to 85-100 Hz.
Flat screens don't flicker anymore, but pixel crawling on edges flickers in a similar way old crt's do.

Ah crap...
What monitors are you using?
I've read that with gsync compatible monitors, sometimes surround isn't even possible or some settings become inactive.
Only with true gsync monitors, everything works for sure.
But maybe this doesn't matter at all and surround in general, gsync or not, will deactivate dsr and some other things :(

About high fps = better anti aliasing:
At high fps, the pixel crawling / flickering edges simply become "invisible" to your eye because they flicker too fast.
It's like on old crt monitors/TV when going from 60 to 85-100 Hz.
Flat screens don't flicker anymore, but pixel crawling on edges flickers in a similar way old crt's do.
Im running 3 AOC 27G2 1080p 144Hz G-Sync compatible screens. Surround works flawlessly, as does G-Sync, its just these newer features and even the og DSR isnt even there to activate. Here is my NVCP.

Screenshot (85).png
Screenshot (84).png

Do the settings become available if you switch from surround to 3 "separate" monitors?
NIS does but I haven't tried again with surround off on the latest driver to see the DLSR thingy. I tested NIS on the previous driver, it worked but looked bad. I only tried it on Days Gone, not because I needed more frames, rather just to test.

The security fence displays maximum aliasing. This weekend I will try to adjust the parameters as advised in this post
My computer is 8x4,9 GHz (i7-9700K), 12GB (3x4 2666 MHz,
one is burned), 3Gb VRAM (MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X)
Screenshoot before next settings up

Assetto Corsa v1.16.4 graphics setting (low-mid range pc)
1680796401262.png

1680797183331.png

nvidia geforce control panel
1680796420280.png

custom shaders patch v1.79
CPU and GPU optimization
1680796444439.png

ExtraFX with TAA ou TXAA
1680796465347.png

Graphic adjustements AMD FSR with CMAA2
1680796484109.png

Last edited: