IMSA | Rolex 24 Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2020 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona.

The first major race of the 2020 season is here! Everyone's favourite season starter, the 2020 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona once again opens up the major league racing campaign for another year, and as has been the case in the last few occasions, this seasons edition is set to be another classic multiclass endurance racing spectacular...

The opening round of the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, 2020 will see the 58th running of the famous event take place on January 25th - 26th, once again containing a healthy mix of Prototype and GT endurance racing machines.

Over 40 cars across four classes are set to take to the part oval, part roadcourse circuit at Daytona this weekend - with the impressive DPi category heading the field in terms of outright speed, followed by LMP2, GTLM and GT Daytona (GTD).

In terms of driving strength, once again the grid offers up a fine mix of former Formula One drivers, IndyCar stars, NASCAR racers and some of the top level GT drivers anywhere in the world - almost certainly guarenteeing a fantastic 24 hours of racing once the green flag drops on Saturday afternoon!

Want to chat about the big race with your fellow racing fans? Leave a comment in the comments section below!

Useful links

Event Schedule
Entry List
Spotters Guide

Last edited:
Fingers crossed Joest Mazda can pull it off this time.

Car is good, drivers are good. That weak point is still that high revving four pot turbo but I know it's had a re-design (again) and so far not a single issue.

The "lazy" engine in the Caddies though are made for these events. Lots of low down grunt, low stress. They are always a factor in the longer races.

The factor could again be the weather. It's been very unsettled (the IMSA prototype challenge race was a washout for most of it) and I can almost see lots of safety car, red flag scenarios if it gets really poor.

I'm a little concerned about the revised kerbing into the Bus Stop which caused the huge accident to the Acura during qualifying and I think has just caused another huge shunt to a LMP2. The drivers clip it as they run wide and it's launching the cars.

LMP2, GTE and GTD are really close too and it's nice to see a solid LMP2 field again.

Although the field is on the smaller side this year, everyone is looking quick so I can see some great battles come Saturday.

Really looking forward to it, as well as Bathurst soon as well. Good start to 2020 :)

Don't forget IMSA.TV for free coverage outside the United States.

*looks up*

@Paul Jeffrey IMSA.tv is usually excellent but I'm not sure about their schedule for this year's Rolex 24.

Looks like they are showing most of the support races, and normally the whole of the race is shown live on IMSA.tv

Starts on Saturday at 1330 ET which I think is 1830 GMT. Which sounds about right as I'm usually racing home from work to see the start! lol :)

Looks like they are showing most of the support races, and normally the whole of the race is shown live on IMSA.tv

Starts on Saturday at 1330 ET which I think is 1830 GMT. Which sounds about right as I'm usually racing home from work to see the start! lol :)

correct 18:30 it should be for GMT, for anybody interested from CET thats 19:30 btw ;)

Related to our discussion in the announced W Series Im looking forward to how it goes for the full female car #19 GEAR Racing in this IMSA series.
Looks like Calderon will get a hard time living up to the 2 full time pros Christina Nielsen and Katherine Legge:)

christina-nielsen-1.jpg

I'll be supporting the Brits and the two Aussies that i think are racing, Chaz Moster(t) (see IMSA app line up they forgot the t!) and Shane Van Gisbergen.

Hopefully watch as much as i can.

Exciting all the same but would have liked the Ford GT's around to go head to head with the new C8.R and RSR.
I do believe that IMSA.TV is available with IMSA radio for all outside the US. Lucky you don't have to endure the non-stop pit lane shots of drivers and crew chiefs as you hear the action in the back ground as it is presented on local broadcast TV.
IMSA's John Hindhaugh, Jeremy Shaw, Shea Adam and company are top notch as I feel like I'm sitting around with race fans when listening to them.

Over the years, I’ve become a big fan of the Daytona 24 hrs. I love the mix of drivers from different series. And it feels like the start of the racing year, in many ways.

As I wrote elsewhere, if you live in Canada, you can catch the entire race on Discovery Velocity.

Very much looking forward to this. Particularly keen to see the new C8R race - I’ve read about it but haven’t seen the thing yet, so wonder how it will be. There’s some thing quite exciting about the prospect of a mid engined corvette. Bring it on!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 416 39.8%