IMSA looking pretty good these days.

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
Europe, UK and Asia have always seemed to me to be appreciative of their sports car racing.

Over the decades I have watched many types of racing both on broadcast and live. Sports car racing has gone from a premier form in the 80's and 90's, here in the US, to taking not only a backseat to other forms of racing but perhaps even further to the box trailer being towed behind.

This weekend I was streaming qualifying of the IMSA series at Mid Ohio and what I witnessed may not seem like an event that single handily marked a change in the pecking order for viewership but it did trip something in my brain that brought hope.

Helio Castroneves took the maiden pole position for Penske Acura DPi, and although that feat was impressive, it that wasn't it. It was the in car shot of Helio smiling so large you could see it his eyes as he read the display on his wheel. Now anyone that has seen Heilo climb a fence, smile for the cameras or give a great interview could argue what is the big deal? And I wouldn't disagree, but what made it special for me was it looked to be genuine and not necessarily for anyone or anything other than him.

I have admired many a driver over the years, some more successful than others, and the ones that always get my respect are the ones who show how much fun they have, and how fortunate they are to apply their craft and appreciative of the fans whom support it. I hope some more like Helio, Alonso, Button and Montoya will follow suit and make their way to sports car racing. They seem to be enjoying themselves.

With Acura, Mazda, Nissan, Gibson and Cadillac in DPi and Aston Martin recently announcing plans to join the GTLM class, and the GTD with a terrific mix I hope other world class drivers will want to participate in more than a one off race.

With a new TV deal next year with NBC coverage should improve dramatically.:D

So what do you think of sports car racing in your part of the world?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back