Improving FOV

Shovas

Premium
Is there some difference between GTL vs GTR2 FOV because my GTR2 FOV parameters don't produce the same result in GTL?

I ended up with Fov=(112,130) in GTL but the dash and steering wheel still appear "smaller", I feel, than the dash and steering wheel in GTR2 when maintaining the rearview mirror and side mirrors half in view.

Hard to explain but I hope somebody gets it.

Is there something different about GTL? How to get the best FOV?

Thanks

Speaking about the hq fov tweaks by bjarne and I, fov settings are exactly the same in both gtr2/gtl.
As engine is different you can see differences of course.
By the way the first number is not used in simbin titles so you can put a 0 :)

Is there some difference between GTL vs GTR2 FOV because my GTR2 FOV parameters don't produce the same result in GTL?

I ended up with Fov=(112,130) in GTL but the dash and steering wheel still appear "smaller", I feel, than the dash and steering wheel in GTR2 when maintaining the rearview mirror and side mirrors half in view.

Hard to explain but I hope somebody gets it.

Is there something different about GTL? How to get the best FOV?

As Paul said the first figure gets calculated by the aspect ratio so only the second figure get used.
got a 21:9 aspect monitor and even there I also feel there are a difference between Gtr2 and GTL.
But can't put a finger on it.
The FOV, Seat position and Radius is a lot more complex than just a figure in defview.
If you select a narrow Fov the eyepoint/ seat pos gets moved (relative) forward and likewise a large Fov moves the eye point back .
I do agree with Shovas when the FOV gets +80-90 it looks different between gtl and gtr2 and Race 07 for that matter.
May to some extend be the larger windscreens and steering wheels in GTL vs Gtr2?
In VR I use around 100 degrees FOV but always ahve to change between different cars as it is newer the same viewpoint.

I always thought that the mouse use for FOV and seat movement was the best in any sim.

It does feels strange if you come from another sim but then as you say why do they not all do it.
Always struggle in other sims which key combinations they use.

Second time I edited this I was right at the start lol

Lower FOV in GTR2 the less FPS you get :O_o:

18 FOV = 68

84 FOV = 84 FPS

rFactor2 is the opposite, which I thought was normal
Narrow FOV means less differing things to calculate in scene saves resources
Gap in rFactor2 was just as big lowest to Highest FOV
I have posted this oinks ago in rF2 and got ignored

I did exact same thing 10 times
Let AI drive my car from garage in Private session
No cars no variable influence

4K on AMD3200G still amazes me

So anyone wants to run a bit higher settings without fps loss try a larger FOV :O_o:

Last edited:
Do recall somebody writing to set the FOV to 130 degrees and then lower it with the crtl-mouse for higher FPS!

But newer tried.

in the above case I could see the narrow Fov got a lot more moving landscape while the wide Fov got 40-50% stationary cockpit.

If it works in hood or bumber view I would be convinced and very surprised! ;)

Thanks, I will try that out including GTL and report back
Good thing is the majority don't have a problem with fps in GTL, GTR2, PnG

P.S.
Never noticed before :redface: ...the higher FOV brings everything outside the car closer
Can hardly see the marshals @ 18 FOV

Last edited:
Never noticed before :redface: ...the higher FOV brings everything outside the car closer
Can hardly see the marshals @ 18 FOV

Believe that is the fish eye effect of the (software) lens you can compensate with the radius but that again also changes the Fov and camera position.
Fiddling with that feel like a dog chasing it's own tail :roflmao:
Spend days on it and achieved nothing.
There are a perspective shader for Reshade you can use to compensate the effect.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back