Improving ai performance / aiw files

As someone who races exclusively offline ai performance is important to me. I often find that there is always one corner on every track that ai are dreadful on.

I would like to learn how to edit the ai performance / aiw files. Is there anyone out there who can help me get set up and take me through the basics?

Thanks,
Vern

Vern....all this info is what got me started in AIW creation for rF1 (2005) and now into the present rF2, enjoy!

AIW (AI Path) Creation Tutorial - PDF
http://imagespaceinc.com/downloads/rf2/modsresources/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf

The definitive AI Settings Thread:
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/the-definitive-ai-settings-thread.38584/

Note: These videos were originally for rF1 but are also very helpful for rF2 since the editing is very similar!

Madcowie's AIW video tutorial

Keeper's AIW video tutorial to smooth pit/track transitions, garage areas, etc.

Last edited:
Vern....all this info is what got me started in AIW creation for rF1 (2005) and now into the present rF2, enjoy!

http://imagespaceinc.com/downloads/rf2/modsresources/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/the-definitive-ai-settings-thread.38584/

Note: These videos were originally for rF1 but are also very helpful for rF2 since the editing is very similar!

Nice one thanks guys. I will look at all of that.

One side note, if I was to update an aiw file could I then share that for other to enjoy or would that require a modification to the original file/track download?

I share my aiw updates with friends as a add-on track update which has the advantage that it doesn't affect the original track files and the update is a very small file. Then if you plan to race online it's an easy step to temporary uninstall your aiw update otherwise you won't be able to race their track with your updated aiw unless they also have the update!

You will need to learn how to pack the mas file containing your aiw update for sharing.

Last edited:

OK I have failed at the first hurdle.

In the ISI guide it states "CTRL + \ = enter AIW edit mode" but nothing happens when I do that.

Any ideas?

All i do after starting up rf2 is choose the DEV mode located directly under the single player icon. Be sure only "Practice" is selected and then load up your track which needs to have been previously installed in your rFactor2/ModDEV/Locations folder.

After your track is loaded up then choose "Race" to enter track. Now choose "Enter AIW Editor" or use your shortcut "Ctrl + \" to enter the editor.

Last edited:
All i do after starting up rf2 is choose the DEV mode located directly under the single player icon. Be sure only "Practice" is selected and then load up your track which needs to have been previously installed in your rFactor2/ModDEV/Locations folder.

After your track is loaded up then choose "Race" to enter track. Now choose "Enter AIW Editor" or use your shortcut "Ctrl + \" to enter the editor.
Sorry to be a pain.

How do you install tracks to mod dev? I just tried copying the track package over to the mod dev locations folder but that didn't work.

I can see a Joesville folder where it looks like the package the contents of a tack package has been extracted. Do I need to do something like that?

You need to copy the track you want from your rF/Installed/locations directory into the ModDev/locations directory. There is no need to extract the files from their MAS directories!

When you work with the editor and save your AIW then you will see your new AIW file plus a AIW backup. When all is finished then you add your new AIW file to the MAS directory which contains the old AIW and let it over write the old AIW, then save it.

Some great info/tutorials and videos you might be interested in:
https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/

Last edited:
This isn't needed anymore. Dev Mode comes with the steam install. Just click on the dev mode icon in the launcher. :)

(rFactor2 SDK (Dev Mode) Build 1098):
Maybe it's best that @Marcel Offermans removes the old SDK dev mode Installer from that page.
It's outdated and might cause confusion, conflicts and false bug reports with current version.

Thanks for the heads-up. I removed it from the page.

I also keep my AIW to myself, mainly because I only use them for personal Offline use and simply can't be bothered to explain for the 100th time how to package an AIW file to someone!
Also editing the AIW can be highly dependant on the Car/Mod you're using, I've found what works great for the Nissan GT at Bathurst is rubbish for Open Wheelers for example. Seeing as as I mainly edit AIW purely for one series and not tweak them for all then that's another reason to to publicly release anything.

MarcG.......exactly! You must have read my mind. :D I been doing this same approach since 2005 for rF1 and made track packs which contained specifically tuned AIW's for a few favorite car mods!

Last edited:
I started around 2006/07 I think, dived into rf1 AI then carried on into RF2 :)
Hi mate I know this is an old old thread but I was wondering what car you would use to create an AIW for the GTE's? I've tried to recreate the fastest line for my own use at Lester 2.0 and what seems like a smooth line doesn't look that way when they drive it. They do some odd braking at points that are smooth and there shouldn't be any braking and I have normalised the curves as well.

Hi mate I know this is an old old thread but I was wondering what car you would use to create an AIW for the GTE's? I've tried to recreate the fastest line for my own use at Lester 2.0 and what seems like a smooth line doesn't look that way when they drive it. They do some odd braking at points that are smooth and there shouldn't be any braking and I have normalised the curves as well.

I used the Megane or Skip Barber from memory, any car will do though. I'm not at my pc now but when you select an individual waypoint you can adjust the AI Speed (or Speed, it's in one of the options somewhere in devmode), this has helped cure odd braking points of AI cars.
Alternatively though try using the in-game Learning features first, they may overcome those braking issues. :)

I used the Megane or Skip Barber from memory, any car will do though. I'm not at my pc now but when you select an individual waypoint you can adjust the AI Speed (or Speed, it's in one of the options somewhere in devmode), this has helped cure odd braking points of AI cars.
Alternatively though try using the in-game Learning features first, they may overcome those braking issues. :)
Thanks for the quick response mate, I didn't even think of the Megane! Ok I didn't know you could adjust based on individual waypoints I'll have a go at that tonight, I've managed to stop the GTE's hitting the walls through the first S's and also across the rail track chicane but wierd braking was confusing me as I didn't brake when creating the line. When you say learning I take it you mean the options within devmode?
Thanks again mate I'll have a play around tonight.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 79 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 58 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 38 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.4%