Improvement Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
I don't know everything so if you have thought of a brilliant idea, then let me here about it.

I value everyone's opinion but please don't feel too bad if your idea doesn't make it into BTB. Ease of design, speed, development time, priorities and game engine abilities all need to be considered when I mark out what's in the next release. I already have over seven pages of features I want to add to BTB so perhaps yours is already on there. ;) I won't be listing it here as I don't want to influence your fresh thoughts, and nor do I wish to raise false hope. I only like to list things I know I can deliver.

Please don't post your same idea over and over again. No ones opinion is more important than anyone elses. ;)

In the case of Piddy read that:

Is there some additional issue which blocks to apply same blend technique used in terrain in road as well? It would be pretty nice to blend some "dirty" and "rubbery" textures on the tarmacs. :)

HI, ok , I miss, when placing objects, right click open window, to make changes numerically, for size, rotation... I spend a lot of time because when i ve placed a lot of objects, the computer goes slower, and to place acurately a object become difficult.

In versions after 0.6, I could add new objects to a Xpack that is currently be used in BTB, but now it seems to be impossible, someone can check this?

Join 2 track pieces automatically.

I miss starting lights placemente :(

mmm, anything else.

Sobjets is a great tool and the new way of adding terrain

Cheers

• 42Cliff

satangoss, for physics reasons you will have to make your own blended texture with appropriate material properties.

only one material at a time is workable for the physics

as for purely visual things that won't effect physics, use the walls trick:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCKzxFeeNzE[/ame]

----------------------------------------

as for another suggestion, how about automagikly downloading background imagery from the same free servers as topofusion uses? this would be super handy for working on gps based/Real world tracks

• 42Cliff

Oh, and Cut, Copy, Paste for track parts (nodes), surface cross sections, and wall cross sections.

the ability to make a library of cross sections so they can be easily selected and reused. (handy for real world stuff where engineering specs and drawings for various road and ditch profiles and properties are available)

here are some of the handy cross-section cad files I'm talking about..
http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/Roads/EngineeringServices/RoadStandards2007.aspx

it would be nice if the terrain texture could be 'aligned to track' as it is if you make verges within the track profile. so you could select trackside terrain polygons and have the mapping follow the line of the track for good mown lawn effects etc

Many of the suggestions already mentioned above are great ideas.
From my experience I offer the following ideas for future features that will speed up the process:

1. I would find it useful if the track surface was created in such a way as to have two corridors either side. What I invisage is a central main section like we have already, then two outer corridors, one where you can add or not add the white line to the track edge. The seccond corridor would be the Track/Grass/Drainage area. In this bit you could add that eliment of realism where the track meets the terrain. the corridors could then be stopped when you want the line to end, etc...

2. The abillity to add patches of different colour tarmac to track sections. What I invisage is being able to select the polly's that make up the track and then being able to change the material. At the moment you can change a whole cross section of track, which is useful, but doesnt give the surface the lived-in feel.

Thats my 2 cents as it were.
Rock on,
Steven

In the terrain feature I would like to be able to set the randomness to the individual panel. IE I would like the first panels shape to be flat but the other panels further out to be be upwards/downwards.

This would make creating terrain with mountains/hills a little easier. Without haveing the hills start at the side of the track.

editable skybox & skyboxi in rfactor , scale wise. has some of the objects are appearing transparent(z buffering bug).

objects: transprancey switching mode.from simple to multiple or vice vesa (z buffering bug)

Personally I'd like to see "duplicate" feature for walls and sobjects. Like with walls for example if I have few basic shapes I'd like to use consistantly I have to recreate the same form from scratch everytime. Same with sobjects. Many times I would just like to right-click an object or wall and just select duplicate and it would create a duplicate with same textures, texture settings and geometries which I could drag on the screen to the new location. That or to be able to create and save different "wall types".

Also for terrain I'd like to see some kind of tool to align the terrain to match the track elevations. Like if there is a hill on the track made after the terrain the track at the top has steep hills on both side. With the align feature the track would have flat terrain on both sides as the curvature of the terrain would match the curvature of the track.

Also one nice feature might be some kind of measuring tool that you could simply click on track or on terrain and it would show the x/y/z coordinates and angles of that face/point/line. Maybe even option to measure distances and angles between two points. As for coordinates, maybe offer two sets of coordinates, one for absolute and another in relation to the centerline of the track.

Another thing just came to mind is a dummy car that you could move around the track. The dummy car would be a nice tool to check the proportions, angles and such of the track. This way it would be really easy for example to just check the track visibility from "inside" the car.

Plus one "little" feature for walls. For tree walls especially I'd like to have an option to have maybe 2 or 3 textures to be used randomly one next to another. Like with kerbs you can have blue-red-white-etc.. with a tree wall similar would be appreactiated. Naturally with randomness.

That's all. Keep u the good work piddy :worship:

Another thing just came to mind is a dummy car that you could move around the track. The dummy car would be a nice tool to check the proportions, angles and such of the track. This way it would be really easy for example to just check the track visibility from "inside" the car.

This is a great idea, I personally support it and think it would not be difficult to implement.

• 42Cliff

I want the option to set the grid smaller. 10m is a huge distance and makes judging small elevation changes quite difficult.

preferably as a subgrid that shows up when you zoom in.

also want grids for the surfaces and walls tools, with options to set the grid from 10cm -1m

edit:
It would also be nice to have a BobsTrackBuilder.ini or something with all the keymappings and color and grid options .. for people who want custom keymaps and such.

One feature I would like to see in Xpacker would be the possibility to create smooth vertex normals (with adjustable threshold), since it seems that 3ds format does not carry on that information (as collada does).

Another suggestion for track heights, you can already have points that alter track width along the track. Why not do this for heights too? Instead of heights for each node (which can make the track quite bumpy), have like the track widths where you can place them along the track and it would make height changes much smoother.

• 42Cliff

so is that three or four votes now for 3d view visible/editable surfaces?

seriously, it would save so much time ... solve many problems with one solution...

A simple box "rotate by degree" for the objects...sometimes on large objects is quite tricky to rotate them. The only way is to use "allign to track" with rotation and then move wherever you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%