Improvement Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
I don't know everything so if you have thought of a brilliant idea, then let me here about it.

I value everyone's opinion but please don't feel too bad if your idea doesn't make it into BTB. Ease of design, speed, development time, priorities and game engine abilities all need to be considered when I mark out what's in the next release. I already have over seven pages of features I want to add to BTB so perhaps yours is already on there. ;) I won't be listing it here as I don't want to influence your fresh thoughts, and nor do I wish to raise false hope. I only like to list things I know I can deliver.

Please don't post your same idea over and over again. No ones opinion is more important than anyone elses. ;)

so the undo feature reloads the whole project as of before your last change? that's why it takes so long i'm guessing. i'd love a faster undo.

you make a big accidental edit and it takes, well... maybe 10secs doesn't sound like that long out of a lifetime, but it seems like punishment for your mistake. in 3dmax if i make a mistake i think "oops, undo". in btb i think, "oh no, i'm about to waste ages while it reloads my project". obviously this is related to project size, mine is getting biggish.

the way i see it, if you're about to do some heavy duty re-modeling of something, you back it up first. then if it goes wrong after however many steps, you can just reload. if i'm just doing small things where it would be easier to undo than reload, i'd much prefer to have an undo that took the same amount of time as the mistaken edit. so maybe a quick undo option could be added for people who work like that?

it is a bit picky of me, but it's only cause i want to spend more time moving forward with my track than backwards. its a good program to use for moving forwards, even more-so since v0.6, but not so good for moving backwards a small distance quickly.

summary = faster undo option

TRACK SURFACE EDITING...

ok i gotta be honest piddy....

take a look at ''improvement sugestions'' and youll see what users are really strugelling with before spending a tons of time on things that are not that necsasery at the moment...

so you thought that people are more struglling with trees than like

connecting tracks with a single click

editing shape of track (rbr)

and others...

im sure some tree guys will be jumping up and down (the ones with powerfull pc's) but at the end of the day i would recomend you to consider ''sugestion improvements'' more seriously....

especially track surface editing improvements couse this hasent been improved since i remember btb but thats what we drive on all the time!

(i know rf users probabbly dont have any complains couse the tracks are more or less smooth,

but to create rbr track (with a lot of oval jumps and crests) from kml file - thats the real pain!!!

all the respect for sobjects and terrain editing tools you got those write just 100%!!!

i think surface editing has to be the top priority couse thats what we drive on (rbr) everything else are secondary things....

let me give you an example...
when rally drivers in real life drive to some rally ...they dont think about how nice the trees are gonna look there...
but what they think about is how interesting the roads are gonna be...(rbr)

with no improvements in surface editing --i havent seen any interesting rbr stage created with btb...

chika ramba amigo...

marque ... could you be more specific about what improvment you want to be implemented ? I don't see any suggestion in your post. But, I know it's very possible to create good RBR track shape with the tool we have now, it mainly depends on your level of creativity you put on, I can't see how it could be improved... so maybe you can share your idea with us ? I made a track using btb and for now, I have done everything i wanted with the current tool and exported to game and thoses roads are a charm to drive on. Honestly, what BTB is missing the most is a mapping tool.

- Support of square polygons on terrain for better compatibility with wallaby to create shadows later on, etc.

I think the implementation of something slightly more mathematical for creating tracks would be great. Like instead of having to constantly tweak control points in corners to get exactly what you want, being able to say that I want a corner which is 200m long, with a radius of 50m. Having this would make track building easier and quicker (which would allow for more focus on details around and on the track).

You can do that throug calculating radius and lenghts of track and (per example, using Excel), and import resulting points as GPS data and eventually build a track exactly as you want.

There's plenty points listed here that is already possible to do using a bit of imagination. BTB is not the final answer for everything in track building.

What is impossible to do currently with reasonable results is to merge tracks. This requires lots of time usage and the final product is not compatible with the rest of the track.

I think the implementation of something slightly more mathematical for creating tracks would be great. Like instead of having to constantly tweak control points in corners to get exactly what you want, being able to say that I want a corner which is 200m long, with a radius of 50m. Having this would make track building easier and quicker (which would allow for more focus on details around and on the track).

how about the ability to blend track textures in the same way you can blend terrain textures. or even being able to blend between more than two two textures? this might be a game engine limited issue, but it would be pretty flash.

I have same view as Marque, I think the track and terrain needs to be finalized, complete and debugged first, before objects and other details are worked on.
And yes I was amazed too by genius work on trees by Brendon.

Regards

Angle on terrain

Add angle parameter on terrain creation like example

Attachments

• example.JPG
    example.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 260
Road:
- seamless tracks stitching, any angle, camber, or side by side. (very important)
- using secondary texture like on the ground, with spray tool. (would be cool but not too important)

Terrain
I'm pretty much fine with terrain creation now, so nothing very important, except TerrainAreas not showing in Materials and lasso not working.

- I would still prefer a tool to create terrain for the whole circuit. Not a narrow swatch, but whole rectangle of grass with track in the middle. It's much easier to cut and edit, then constant stretching and stitching.

Walls

- when going back to wall created some time ago, the material used is not showing, and also other perimeters like random numbers. It would be nice to learn "what the hell I did there", or to have Get Material tool like in Terrain.

Start/pit lights - a must, (I've seen one post, and I know they are coming, thanks a bunch.)

Thanks

• _brawler_

have not tried the new version but it may be in it. i would like to see you be able to add and edit pitroad values without having to do it outside of btb. also adding lights and light beams in btb.

Road:
-As already mentioned track stitching is very important
-Texture blending on the track
-A tool for creating small bumps and holes on the road, important in RBR

Interface:
-When I'm editing and tuning the terrain I find it pretty annoying when the tool window always is on top of the views. I would rather have more toolbars. For example, you could select the tool from the side and then edit tool specific parameters in the top bar.

Objects:
-Objects should show up in top and side views.
-Object grouping(trees,grass,buildings etc.) + filtering for these

Xpacker:
-The ability to reload a texture or a object with just one button click. It's alot faster when you are testing new objects.

- Road and terrain not only as editable mesh, but also as an editable poly and ability to switch between thoses two for better compatibility with RBR and wallaby.

- Export to X format with the right object name rather than numbers...or export as .3ds format.

- Ability to see in 3d view the track nodes when we edit them. When I make bumps, etc I use 3d view as reference, but never knows if I selected the right node..

- Switch between texture display/wireframe not only in 3dview, but also on topview when hitting W key and the mouse is in that window. Sometimes, would be very useful when making modification to track to see texture and objects in that window...

- Faster undo, and also generating terrain sometimes is very slow even if the track is not long,.. so better prog stability overall.

- Road and terrain not only as editable mesh, but also as an editable poly and ability to switch between thoses two for better compatibility with RBR and wallaby.

- Ability to see in 3d view the track nodes when we edit them. When I make bumps, etc I use 3d view as reference, but never knows if I selected the right node..

- Switch between texture display/wireframe not only in 3dview, but also on topview when hitting W key and the mouse is in that window. Sometimes, would be very useful when making modification to track to see texture and objects in that window...

I completely agree with these requests. I'm making a Wales stage for RBR and, to make ditches and banks, I even tried to add materials to the sides of the track itself, but it takes ages to model even a single ditch. So I abandoned the idea, until the editable mesh is available (with texture mapping), even if it were a non reversible process (you would loose the track nodes). Conversion to editable mesh could be done when you are happy with the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 287 27.5%