Impressions on driving after 1.3

Matheus Machado

Talking Door Racing
AC just gone wrong with what made it stand out in the crowd: FFB.
All the details are gone, now it just feels like a slightly improvement on GSCE ffb.
Also, they mentioned the new tire model would cause LESS understeer on GT cars. Well, at least for me it works, until the car hits 100 kph where at some point it just magically starts to go straight, without a single tip or notice that it's going to happen.
At least to me, it is a huge stepback from what they have done so far.

PS: I would like to know if anyone is able to match GT2 pace around spa, where in WEC qualy this year, drivers were putting high 2:16s to low 2:17s

Cars communicate much more detail now, it's easier because of that extra detail. Understeer and oversteer is more of a linear process, it's like there are more steps between the states,so there's more I can do to affect the car while it's transitioning.

I used to think the cars at high speed felt like a plane just before it takes off, they would float along nearly out of control, I don't know what that they fixed but they don't feel that way anymore, like you say they are much more in control and actually give you feedback. It's like a whole new game IMHO.

I was disappointed after the last update with the driving model it felt very Forza like in its transitions of understeer and oversteer and as such after a few laps I was kind of bored. So with the latest update I thought I should give it a try. The latest tyre model is revelation. The numbness and lack of detail is gone, it is now on a par with RF2 in terms of communication.

I am back on board the AC hype train.

You can change when the tyre noise kicks in (under the audio options) so the squealing starts the moment you start to lose grip, or earlier/later. Set properly it'll provide an extra queue to grip levels and could improve lap-times by allowing you to corner at the optimum slip-angle.

A setting of around 130/140% gets rid of the sensation of driving around a multi-storey car park - I have it set to 110% as I like to hear my tyres talk.

so far so good. i like the update,
but my most favourite car, the z4 gt3 is now a shame, feels completely powerless and boring.
and the tire noises in gt cars are way to loud.
in real gt cars you dont hear them at all as far as i know
yep set tyre sound lower and also you can adjust the treshold to 170-200% so it sqeek when understeerin, not all the time when under optimal load ..

Really enjoying this update so far, good work KS. The updated tyre model seems to make the cars feel much more active and alive and the FFB on my G27 at least seems a bit more informative and useful. Also, seeing a lot less stuttering which is great. The AI seem a bit too wild now compared to reality but personally I think that is more entertaining than just following a train of perfect drivers anyway.

It's funny some people say it's now an arcade game (are you out of your mind? lol) and some say it's super realistic.
It does feel almost like a new game, the feeling is incredible.
It was already better than GTR2 and rFactor... Well now it blows them out of the water.
(I won't insult it by comparing it to Pcars)
Also, I don't know if they did something else on the lotus 49, but it became my new favorite recently.
Can't wait to see ALL cars getting that tyre update. he he
The bad thing is, modded cars are really bad now compared to Kunos ones. lol;)
Oh yeah, and Barcelona track is incredible.
I deleted the old user-made Barcelona, it's obsolete now.:thumbsup:
I compared them thorougly and definitely, nothing compares to laser-scanned.

It's funny some people say it's now an arcade game (are you out of your mind? lol) and some say it's super realistic.
It does feel almost like a new game, the feeling is incredible.
It was already better than GTR2 and rFactor... Well now it blows them out of the water.
(I won't insult it by comparing it to Pcars)
Also, I don't know if they did something else on the lotus 49, but it became my new favorite recently.
Can't wait to see ALL cars getting that tyre update. he he
The bad thing is, modded cars are really bad now compared to Kunos ones. lol;)
Oh yeah, and Barcelona track is incredible.
I deleted the old user-made Barcelona, it's obsolete now.:thumbsup:
I compared them thorougly and definitely, nothing compares to laser-scanned.
Lotus 49 is still on old tyre model ;) .. but yep .. best car in game .. even on V4 tyres

The 49 is nice, even with v4 tires, but if you want to be blown away just jump in the Ferrari 458. Best car so far IMO.
drove it today with la ferarri .. and it is ok, but little bit meh .. even some Lotuses with H-stick, 2Eleven are more fun .. could be that AC doesn`t have that nice rF2s "yeeey i`m sliding" FFB but there is nothing really appealing on 458 for me ;) maybe visual and real life sounds ..

Need to give this a go, finally got my man cave put back together after a house move, so just have to find the time now! I was at Brands Hatch this Monday driving an M4 so I'm very interested to see how real life and AC compare.

On a side note, I want an M4 sooooooo much :inlove:

Need to give this a go, finally got my man cave put back together after a house move, so just have to find the time now! I was at Brands Hatch this Monday driving an M4 so I'm very interested to see how real life and AC compare.

On a side note, I want an M4 sooooooo much :inlove:

I really want to hear your impressions of the M4 in A/C. The car seems heavy at times and doesn't always brake the way I would want. I compared it to some of the other road cars and the handling of the M4 is certainly distinctive. It would be nice to have someone that could compare real life to virtual.

Bits of the next update from Stefano

I am sure you'll be happy to read the changelog so far.. it still doesn't contain Aris' changes because he's still on it:

- Fixed wrong timing in brake disc glow effect
- Improved AI spline road sides at Spa
- AI spline sides now accept CSV with both "," or " " as delimiters
- Fixed tyre collision not using rims at super low tyre pressure
- Added downshift protection parameters to drivetrain.ini to allow individual car tune up
- Tuned up Nissan GTR GT3 downshift protection
- Force Feedback frequency is now controlled using a more precise setting in assetto_corsa.ini (FF_SKIP_STEPS instead of the old MAX_FF_RATE_HZ)
- Direct Input devices are not initialized with a BACKGROUND flag instead of FOREGROUND
- Set audio channels to 128 instead of 64 in audio.ini
- Added turbo boost information to shared memory
- Fixed tyre vertical stiffness pressure dependency wrongly using ideal pressure instead of reference pressure
- Fixed upshift audio sample not correctly triggered
- Fixed Ruf RT12R limiter audio clicks
- Minor EQ tweaks
- Rebalanced heat distribution as function of camber

Maybe it's all in my head, but after 1.3.3 I seem to have a much better feeling for the road and the tyre behaviour. As a result the FFB also feels better.

The RUF definitely feels like it has more grip now, especially at low speed which is good because it really didn't feel right before as it was more akin to that of a cross channel ferry than a sports car.

The vertical stiffness should make a good difference, it was running so low in 1.3.2 that it was softer than the springs with some tire pressures.

As always though, most of the changes version to version are placebo... I'm pretty sure the 'new tire model' wasn't responsible for the 1.2-1.3 changes at all, it was fixes to suspension->ffb physics and the speedup of physics with multithreading. Tire model changes just make it handle corner cases better (fastest corners have more reasonable grip)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 121 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 94 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 90 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 64 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 128 13.6%