I'm thinking of upgrading to ATI Radeon, need some help?

Can anybody tell me what the ATI Radeon cards are like with Race On / GTR Evolution, I've read about stuttering problems.

I currently have an Nvidia 8800GTS 320Mb so limited to low AA settings but have to use nHancer to get them to work anyway. I want to upgrade and seeing as the GTX275's and GTX285's are being discontinued and difficult to get I am thinking about a Radeon 5850.

So my questions are:
1. Are there any stuttering issues
2. Never used ATI before so can I set all the settings in its Control Panel for use in game (AA, AF etc), unlike my nvidia where i needed a third party program (nHancer)

Thanks.

I've been using ATIs since GTR1 and had no problems at all but I know one that had on both GTRs with the AA & FSAA settings cardwise.
Early this year most nVidia users had bad freezes on Steam's Race based games but didn't experienced anything since mid year anymore.

So you see there's no pure yes or no, both got its pros n cons, but isn't ATI a bit cheaper with same performance as they don't do that much advertising which is payed by consumers?

edit: 4870 / 1680x1050 / full

I think it is not the GPU, maybe the RAM on the card.

I used to have a 1950PRO, the GPU was powerful enough, but the 256MB RAM was not enough to run full details.

I am not into Nvidia, but I also thought that the 8800 is actually a quite powerful GPU.

I have AA on 4x at the moment and even then with a full grid it's slow and juddery at the start with all the cars. Any higher than 4xAA and its unplayable.

I know its a limitation with only 320Mb RAM on board as I play at 1920x1080 so I do need a more powerful GFX card.

Im using a Ati Radeon Hd4870 1024Mb and im able to run it to the max on 1900x1200.
Everything at full detail without any stutters.
Since the 4870 is quite old im sure any newer ati card will be able to give at least the same performance but most likely even (a lot) better.
Make sure that your power supply meets the required performance.
500w is minimum i think.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 97 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 352 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing