I'm new - some questions

I've read a few threads, and seen recommendations to search for a topic. I'd like to search for "Teamspeak", but I don't see where to initiate a search. The reason I want to learn about that is that I wish to try some casual multiplayer racing, and I found this in a thread about club racing:
"As long as written chat isn't available the use of Teamspeak is mandatory. If you can't join our Teamspeak channel and stay in it for this event please sign out in time."
How can I find out what this involves?

Technically, chat has been implemented in Assetto Corsa already, however we still comply with the requirement of being on teamspeak during a race (-club, league) event.

/que_female_voice_mellow

Teamspeak is a third party voice communication tool that allows for an easy, lag free and fully customizable voice experience. No, I don't sell it, its free:
http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

/end_voice

Teamspeak install guide:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/teamspeak-3-setup-guide.11675/

TS Server password after you become a licensed member:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/racing-club-teamspeak-passwords.10977/

Last edited:
Thanks. Now I need a microphone. How do most accomplish that? By using headphones with a built-in mic? So far, I'm listening through my speakers; if I use headphones with a mic, will the mic pick up the sound coming from the speakers? If I configure TS3 to do push-to-talk, then I wouldn't be able to push a button while I'm racing... what do people do?

Most guys assign a push to talk button on there wheel, or a mute mike button somewhere such as on a button box.I use voice recognition but i have a fairly hi end headset (G35) that don't pick up much unwanted background noise,plus i usually just mute my mike most of the time and just un-mute it when i need to talk.

[...]if I use headphones with a mic, will the mic pick up the sound coming from the speakers? [...]
Not the case with the vast majority of headphones.

You can do what Ryan and Matt mentioned - either push to talk or you may activate voice recognition and adjust its level of sensitivity in the TS options menu.
I agree with Ryan, in that I'd too recommend not to go for a $/€10 headset, plan 30 or if you want to be fancy 50 or more for it. Headset or a stand alone mic, that's your choice.
Personally I've used a Sennheiser PC 151: link
and currently using a Snowball: link
Remember, to give sound quality and wear comfort considerable weight in your purchasing decision.

Thanks, guys. I've just ordered a Logitech G35. I'm wondering why it's required to use Teamspeak; do you necessarily have to converse by voice during a race?
No, if you don't want to talk, we respect that. The organisational reason is that, whenever the staff or some members have something important so say, for instance that you can choose the Turbo power on the BMW 1M with the number keys on your keyboard, you are able to hear us in TS. That said, we encourage you to speak with us, teamspeak and the club races are the space to share and have a sense of community.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I get that, and I like the idea. I just think it would distract me while I'm actually trying to be fast!
Yes, your concern is valid. One or two members did have gripe with the noise on ts on some occasions. Most races are actually quiet, tho. A simple remedy would be to disable incoming voice (speakers in ts options) in teamspeak and /or mute your mic. So no one will distract you during qualli, race (just before racestart).

Oh yes, I get that, and I like the idea. I just think it would distract me while I'm actually trying to be fast!
I'm quite new to club-racing and I don't find the chatter to be overly distracting - except in certain cases where things are said that can cause me to ROFL! :D

I think the voice in race is something you can get used to pretty quickly.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 288 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%