I'm looking for tripples...

I currently have 4 screens but the 3 important ones are mismatched. I'm thinking of getting 1080p g sync 27inch screens but all I can find is 1440 with g sync. I run an i7 6700k & 1070 which handles my current trips quite well, however I think if I went to 1440 resolution it would be too much for my gpu.

Would I have to downgrade my resolution to 1080p to run titles effectively?

I'm in the UK and tried scan and overclockers looking for 3 screens that'll be perfect for me.

Is it better to go 1440 or even 4k and wait for the gpu's to catch up?

Thoughts?

Cheers, AL

In theory you could get triple 4k monitors and run them as if they were 1080p (so each 1080p pixel is made from four 4k pixels). In practice, however, you'd probably be limited to 60 Hz refresh.

Upvote 0
Ive run triple 32" 1080's and although it's great visually, I'd recommend going VR (if you haven't already) the cost of 1440 triples will likely be more than an Oculus setup, and your PC has whats needed to run VR anyway. VR will be far more immersive too :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I really thought the OP said "I'm looking for Tribbles".:notworthy::whistling::D

Qv120bI.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm running 27" gsync at 7680x1440, i7-7700k, 2x1080 TI (aorus extreme) and an MB with 2xPCIx16, these are 144hz but surround limits them to 120hz. My motherboard also has an 80mm PCI spacing that is almost mandatory running the 1080 TI cards in SLI.

With an minor adjustment I can run solid 100fps with AC, rF2 and AMS together with 20 AI's.

Internal AC benchmarks (show higher fps than is possible when actually playing)
AC VERSION: 1.15.2 (x64)
FPS: AVG=185 MIN=22 MAX=296 VARIANCE=35 CPU=77%

LOADING TIME: 12s
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (7680x1440)
OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x100-0x1
CPU CORES: 8
FULLSCREEN: ON
AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:4096 BLUR:0
WORLD DETAIL: 4 SMOKE:3
PP: QLT:4 HDR:1 FXAA:1 GLR:4 DOF:4 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

Same using 2x1070 and my previous 2xPCIx8 MB (same cpu)
AC VERSION: 1.13.2 (x64)
FPS: AVG=86 MIN=58 MAX=177 VARIANCE=0 CPU=37%

LOADING TIME: 11s
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (7680x1440)
OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x100-0x1
CPU CORES: 8
FULLSCREEN: ON
AA:2X AF:8X SHDW:4096 BLUR:0
WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:3
PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:1 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

Edit, if you don't have plans to upgrade your PC in the near future stay with 3x1980x1080. Even with 1070 SLI the performance was not up to what I expected or wanted.

Upvote 0
Wow so £1500 on monitors and the same again on gpu's. I'd probably have to upgrade psu too.

I'm not that keen to try VR just yet, I don't really like wearing hats let alone a whole headset. I haven't entirely ruled it out though. I just like to relax at my computer and i don't think vr would do that for me.

My 1070 runs the tripple 1080's just about okay the extra pixels would definitely be too much. The problem is I can't find 1080 screens with g sync.

Upvote 0
The problem is I can't find 1080 screens with g sync.

You just about have to go with used g-sync monitors these days for 1080p. Since G-Sync adds to the cost of the monitor, manufacturers are only going to give G-Sync to their current top end models and those are all higher res than 1080p.

Alternatively, skip the G-Sync and just target the higher refresh rate.

Upvote 0
You can skip G-Sync but I would not recommend this. Your GTX-1070 will need all the help it can get to run triples, and G-Sync will allow games to remain playable at sub-60fps.

My 1070 runs the tripples well but not enough to hit 144fps unless I drop the bling. I was hoping gysnc would help until / if I upgrade

Upvote 0
My 1070 runs the tripples well but not enough to hit 144fps unless I drop the bling. I was hoping gysnc would help until / if I upgrade
Gsync is freaking expensive but just awesome. 50 fps are smooth, 90 fps are smooth. If you can see the difference between locked fps and vsync then you really should get gsync!
If you don't see a difference between let's say 80 fps locked with a limiter and 60 fps vsync on a 60 Hz screen then you don't need it.

For me personally everything other than vsync stutters massively. It's better on the 144hz screens of some friends but the freesync of another friend makes me puking rainbows, really.
I don't have the money for gsync though but I thought about this:
Maybe you should think about selling the nvidia, get an AMD and then freesync triples? Probably a lot cheaper in the end.

Upvote 0
Gsync is freaking expensive but just awesome. 50 fps are smooth, 90 fps are smooth. If you can see the difference between locked fps and vsync then you really should get gsync!
If you don't see a difference between let's say 80 fps locked with a limiter and 60 fps vsync on a 60 Hz screen then you don't need it.

For me personally everything other than vsync stutters massively. It's better on the 144hz screens of some friends but the freesync of another friend makes me puking rainbows, really.
I don't have the money for gsync though but I thought about this:
Maybe you should think about selling the nvidia, get an AMD and then freesync triples? Probably a lot cheaper in the end.

yeah maybe, there are a ton of freesync 1080 screens out there. The worst thing is, my middle screen is pretty decent, and i just bought 2 cheap 1080's for the sides. They are doing the job... Maybe just bite the bullet and buy a VR.

Upvote 0
So the triples for gaming aren't completely mismatched but just "symmetric mismatched"? Depending on how much it annoys you I'd think you would be able to arrange yourself to it after some time.

I think gsync triples would be so freaking expensive...
My recommendation is VR or watch out for an AMD GPU and the moment one is on the way to you just sell the 1070 and the 3 screens for FreeSync monitors.

Offtopic:
I LOVED nvidia for my whole life as they always provided absolute brilliant tweaks through their drivers but over the last years they cut that off more and more while AMD did an awesome job catching up (and overtaking in some areas).

So I think, in general, we gamers shouldn't support that stupid gsync licensing and show nvidia that they need to do something to keep their customers.

BTW why I'll move to FreeSync + AMD: with 1440p you don't need custom Anti Aliasing anymore and no fancy vsync modes too. Also the next generation of games all have a great TAA (AC:Origins, For Honor, BF1). NOT F1 2017 somehow...

Upvote 0
So the triples for gaming aren't completely mismatched but just "symmetric mismatched"? Depending on how much it annoys you I'd think you would be able to arrange yourself to it after some time.

I think gsync triples would be so freaking expensive...
My recommendation is VR or watch out for an AMD GPU and the moment one is on the way to you just sell the 1070 and the 3 screens for FreeSync monitors.

Offtopic:
I LOVED nvidia for my whole life as they always provided absolute brilliant tweaks through their drivers but over the last years they cut that off more and more while AMD did an awesome job catching up (and overtaking in some areas).

So I think, in general, we gamers shouldn't support that stupid gsync licensing and show nvidia that they need to do something to keep their customers.

BTW why I'll move to FreeSync + AMD: with 1440p you don't need custom Anti Aliasing anymore and no fancy vsync modes too. Also the next generation of games all have a great TAA (AC:Origins, For Honor, BF1). NOT F1 2017 somehow...

Yeah, I have 2 iiyama prolite 27inchers, and 1 acer predator xb270h (non G sync) screen. It's not a massive deal, but it would be nice to have 3 of the same. So i started looking at g-sync etc and everyone raves about it, I guess I just missed the boat a little. I could probably get 3x 1440's and sit tight until the new crop of cards come out a little later in the year. hell it would give me time to save...

You are right though, the difference in price and availability is substantial, for 3 freesync 27inch screens 1080p (75hz) I could barely get one 1440 gysnc screen. The offset difference in graphics card cost would help fund it too.

Upvote 0
I think it's worth a try. I can always flog it on the ebay if I don't like it.
Agreed, but the best advice I can give you is, give yourself time to adjust to the change, there's some aspects of VR that can take some time to get used too, your 1070 will cope but unfortunately you will need to run most sims at medium settings. There are plenty of tutorials on getting the best from Oculus and an app which helps by putting all the necessary tweaks in one app called Oculus tray tool. heres a link to a tutorial on how to use the app, there are links on the page to take you to the tool itself as well. Do some research before you go for VR, having it setup correctly is the difference between enjoying it or loathing it.

If you have any questions I'm happy to assist and I'm sure there are plenty of VR users on RD that can provide answers too.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years