im back after almost 10 years

thats right im back im using 8.44 atm on my laptop whats new every one is ruud still around i have a few old file like 0.5.0f and some old tracks and cars. where is my old buddy djgizmo id like to catch up with some old friends

I remember downloading Racer at 049 ish, one Christmas in 2001 ish... I think I was about 21 then, so I'm about to become 36!

Wow, how time flies.

Ruud really needs to get the new sound system finally finished, he's been at it almost 14 years now I think :D ;)

Dave

I remember downloading Racer at 049 ish, one Christmas in 2001 ish... I think I was about 21 then, so I'm about to become 36!

Wow, how time flies.

Ruud really needs to get the new sound system finally finished, he's been at it almost 14 years now I think :D ;)

Dave
I remember when I first got into Racer you had Carlswood and the Alpine A110. I want to say it was in 2004, but can't remember for sure.

I'll send Ruud another pestering email in the next few days I think :) ;)

I've been thinking a lot recently about releasing my own packages that sit alongside Ruud's official ones, that basically correct what I think are wrong where possible.

OK 'wrong' is all about perspective, but the default packages can just be so bad they put newbies off Racer.
I have a friend who pays for iRacing and enjoys it, but also loved playing Racer on my machine with my own content, but didn't get on at all downloading the vanilla Racer and playing it.

Since so many of us have been around so long now it shows Racer still holds a great deal of potential. If we can make it the best it can be and put in hard work I think Ruud can't ignore it.
I'm not sure we've ever made a stand alongside package before in the community, but maybe it'd work to re-invigorate Ruud to finish up a few areas of Free Racer?

Dave

hmm...i'm starting racer, if i remember it right, in 2000 with 0.49(?) or 050f...i was 30y, now it's 2016 and i'm 46 in june....wow time went by...but i'm always a member of racer comunity!

Ruud, if you have a little spare time, please work on racer!

THX

regards
Alex

I've been thinking a lot recently about releasing my own packages that sit alongside Ruud's official ones, that basically correct what I think are wrong where possible.

OK 'wrong' is all about perspective, but the default packages can just be so bad they put newbies off Racer.
I have a friend who pays for iRacing and enjoys it, but also loved playing Racer on my machine with my own content, but didn't get on at all downloading the vanilla Racer and playing it.

Since so many of us have been around so long now it shows Racer still holds a great deal of potential. If we can make it the best it can be and put in hard work I think Ruud can't ignore it.
I'm not sure we've ever made a stand alongside package before in the community, but maybe it'd work to re-invigorate Ruud to finish up a few areas of Free Racer?

Dave
That sounds like a good plan to me. And maybe something to help first time users with an easier setup?

I don't think a stand alongside package has ever been made but there was that D1GP "total mod" that was made some time ago, that might count.

Man.... I was 13.... now i'm 21 HAHAHA Thats crazy.

Same here man... it's terrifying. :p

Dave

Hey Dave, I think this is a fantastic idea. A more "user-friendly" version for those who don't want to tinker for ages to get it working just right ;)

I was talking with a friend yesterday about doing a 'Racer' in UDK.

Since the new AC is in UDK, and I know a succesful F1 team uses UDK for their sim, and other people are using it for simmy stuff, it seems like it can't be too far from being do-able as a free thing either.

Even the basic UDK SDK comes with a basic car sim with tyre model plugins and basic kinematics packages etc.

My main concern is that ultimately if you fly too close to the sun you get burnt, and having something succesful that allows side-stepping lisenced content games/sims will get you a lot of attention.

Ideally I'd want to see something that is mod friendly and is a platform that is maintained over a decade so content made tomorrow could/should be used/enjoyed in 2030 on the same base platform.

But that isn't free... but then making it free makes a lot of headaches go away.

I think with a small ish investment to just get something made and enough interest going you could then just get free help and go from there?

I just look at all the amazing games that have come and gone, when they could have stayed or all been part of the same ecosystem.

TDU1, amazing, but bugs never fixed, updated to TDU2 which was pants really.
PDs GT series, great, but just rinse/repeat buying same models/tracks again and again.
NFS, slowly become arcade and rice... but nice road racing etc.
Racer, just great but no longer maintained/developed.
AC, amazing example of how modders will come together and make great content, then the devs just abandon it.

Why it can't all just be done for free and maintained by like minded enthusiasts and all be part of one thing is beyond me.
We've been making games and stuff on computers for decades. Is this really beyond the ability of mankind to achieve? Nope.
It just needs to be in the hands of many people, and done without money/greed as the motivator.

Dave

Cool thread. "AC, amazing example of how modders will come together and make great content, then the devs just abandon it." Yeah, Seems like that's what's happened. Not many people would've guessed.

My only experience with Racer was with the D1GP mod years back.. good mod. The Panthera Free (?) system should be good

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%