F1 2012 Illegal overtaking? Getting a penalty? Fair Play will work in 2012!

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
GREAT NEWS, EVERYONE!

It's all about the details...I personally gave the spot back to the AI even when I didn't get a penalty (I almost never get one in F1 2011 anyway, too clean, uh?) but that's great. Now you can even avoid penalties by giving the place back.

Question: Speaking of Xbox #F1 - now we've met @AndyGray_ is there any option to appeal to stewards on bogus penalties in F12012? :p (@F1inPubs)

Answer: @F1inPubs no but you have the opportunity to give the place back after an illegal overtake

A really nice addition, also i hope for an option to disable penalties %100 when playing off-line. Why doesn't CM let me ram into AI! :p

Seriously, when i just play for fun, some penalties are extremely annoying.

Unless there is a prompt from the game to let you know you need to give the spot back this will be useless to some people.
Sometimes the driver doesn't know they've overtaken another driver illegally. In those cases the driver would benefit from a notice from the game that they need to give the position back.... something like the drive through penalty warning that lets you know if you don't drive through the pits in the next lap you will be black flagged.

Reactions: Tom
from what I have been reading, if you pass someone off track, when you get back on track you will have a little clock thing or something saying you have a certain amount of time to let someone back through or a penalty will be handed

hmmmm.. a timer eh? Could be crazy online if the guy you overtook wants to be a jerk about it....and just sits behind you till the timer runs out :O_o:
But i guess there are always going to be people who want to take advantage of the rules. I'd rather have this in the game than out of the game.

I suppose it's possible NOT to tell the driver that he can take his place back, and just let him think he is performing a great overtake, or be happy thinking that the other driver is having a technical problem .... :)

I think they need to do a complete overhaul of the penalty system. It's a great idea in order to keep people from using the car as a battering ram but it really needs to look at the situation and THEN make a decision on who gets a penalty. That's what happens in F1 for real: drivers make contact with each, stewards review the situation, then they make a decision on who gets penalized. I've had several races online where people make contact with each other right in front of me and I get a drive through, wtf. And the "illegal overtake" penalty is a bit outa whack. I get giving it to someone when they pass off track, but I got one at Spa going through the bus stop chicane and there was NO ONE in front of me, unless the car I supposedly passed was parked off track somewhere I didn't see it. It's a bit frustrating when your having a good race and it's ruined by a bs penalty.

Wasn't the pit exit line penalty removed in 2011 to stop the online abusers stopping on the pitexit lane causing folk to choose to crash into them or get a penalty for going over the line to avoid abusers? I hope that this time as the line penalty is back, that the abusers who stop are ghosted on the pit exit.
Or even better no abusers at all and people that actually play to race not grief!

Yeah, and I got a 10 second penalty for causing a collision on the Parabolica @ Monza.

I was understeering like hell and squeezed Maldonado off into the gravel.

Of all people ....... he deserved it, team mate or not ;)

It's the 1st time I had ever seen Karthikeyan in front of me ...... and I wasn't lapping him, saying "oh **** Karthikeyan, I hope he gets out of my way"

Well. There are still some serious shortcomings, Ascari for example. You can go completely off the track turning into it.

And why aren't there more intense kerbs in the chicanes, it encourages people to just drive over them like idiots as it is. (no penalty btw)

we wouldn't need as many penalties if the kerbs were right, going over one would be penalty enough.

Well. There are still some serious shortcomings, Ascari for example. You can go completely off the track turning into it.

And why aren't there more intense kerbs in the chicanes, it encourages people to just drive over them like idiots as it is. (no penalty btw)

we wouldn't need as many penalties if the kerbs were right, going over one would be penalty enough.
This is because the penalties are set to "reduced" in the demo. I don't know actually but probably because this is a very early build and it hasn't been ready for release.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 250 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%