Illegal mods, steer clear of them. Simracing604, we stand with you too.

GP4 modder here who had plenty of stuff stolen by ScamDream. Found out a while back through a video showcasing "their" 2002 mod, which is something my partner and I had been working on in our free time over the last 8 years. The Jaguar and Sauber in there are still the F1C conversions, since our versions are both still WIP. Both put on hold in the meantime, not sure if we'll ever finish them.

Thanks @BigMike8 and @randomcallsign for calling them out, let's hope those pos get what they deserve.

I tell you something else I bet barely anyone here knows that Geoff had the ignominy to be the only person (or studio) to ever have CDs of illegal unofficial patches, mods along with NO-CD that where sold in retail outlets here namely video games shops and Harvey Norman for $20AU

Talk about kick a guy when he is down

I'm sorry to tell you, but a cover song by a tribute band played in a pub with no entry fee is still infringing on the rights of the copyright owner, unless the band was given explicit permission by the copyright owner.

I see little discussion about the legal side of things so I would like to comment on this. First of all, I love simracing and I also like to pay for good mods by people who put effort in creating it!

Your comparison makes little sense to me, perhaps you can explain further? To put your example next to Assetto Corsa, the music played in the pub, was already approved by the copyright owner. They said it was ok to edit the music (mods are approved by Kunos). and you can play it in this particular pub.

I am far from a legal expert though. But the way I see it: a modder has no legal ground for his work. So if another modding team steals your mods and sells them, you're pretty much screwed. No legal actions can be taken, right? Perhaps somebody with knowledge on the subject can explain a bit further. In the end it's all Kunos making their platform eligible for modding.

Again, I hate this whole situation and really hope SR604 get's back on his feet. But I have the feeling that the RD community is slightly missing the point here. Although these f*ckers did something we don't like, they most likely did it legally. And now they screwed over SR604 with a real copyright infringement (is it?) on YT and that is quite hilarious to me. Business is business. Don't cry when somebody is selling the water from your pond, when you have no right to claim the pond to yourself.

Last edited:
In Europe, as long as you create something (free or paid) and can prove it with a date (like a postal letter, email or post in forum/social media), you own the legal intellectual proprietary and you can pursue any person/group which uses your work. If you think you are abused then contact a lawyer.

If you want to attack in law this modder group which sells your work then the best is to join your forces : all members who were abused should join and contact the same lawyer, this way effect will be much stronger.

Last edited:
how about RD put in a sim dream mods downloads section where their mods could be downloaded for free? Just take Them out of business... I guess it would be pretty easy for RD to obtain the necessary proves of originality from all the modders who have been ripped?

Unfortunately this just makes the problem worse for two reasons:

1: RD would be giving away someone else's illegally converted work for free, which is exactly what they have said they won't do in the original post.
2: The mod team would go full steam after RD and we'd potentially be in a situation where they unleash their law on RD and we lose this site.

I say "their law" not "copyright law" because it's pretty clear they cannot observe copyright and ownership laws themselves, unless they are making money from it.

I've not heard about this drama before, but it's no surprise; I bought a game on Steam recently that had content from ToCA Race Driver 3 in it!

Anyway, they seem to sell a lot of F1 content, surely F1/Codemasters/now EA would be unhappy about that?

It's all well and good getting the pitchforks out but will it solve anything? They'll only rename themselves and do it again and again and again, what it needs is proper Legal Action but that's up to the Devs of the Sims in question, but can they be arsed with all the effort? The costs? The hassle?

I'm by no means saying stop the rage and attack on them, but don't expect any drastic change, if they do eventually stop someone else will come along and do it in their place.

Happening in the Flight Sim world too, unfortunately these arseholes exist.

It's all well and good getting the pitchforks out but will it solve anything? They'll only rename themselves and do it again and again and again, what it needs is proper Legal Action but that's up to the Devs of the Sims in question, but can they be arsed with all the effort? The costs? The hassle?

I'm by no means saying stop the rage and attack on them, but don't expect any drastic change, if they do eventually stop someone else will come along and do it in their place.

Happening in the Flight Sim world too, unfortunately these arseholes exist.
They'll have to rename themselves? Good. That's downtime they have. To rename, to get things up and running and work on their SEO to get anywhere close they have now.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%