Illegal Mods - How would I know?

This question was asked in the Porsche Payware thread but never answered.
How would the average simmer without any inside info know what is "legal' or 'illegal'?
When I download a mod, I have know idea where the objects came from or if permission was given by the original producer of the objects, or even who the original person is.

I wonder why everybody always spread this stereotype about ripped cars.
90% of ripped cars I have look almost as good as Kunos ones.
Most rips by "Smallblockhero"(mainly old cars too!!!) looks almost BETTER than Kunos cars.
"S3R1U5" rips look better than most mods on RD too... lol
And they handle better than recent legal mods on RD like the Honda NSX or Renault 5...
Try them!

The only ones I found which were uber s*** were from Assetto Garage.
And strangely everybody talk about them. lol:O_o:
I tried them, multiple times already. I know what cars you are talking about. My opinion?
Most of S3R1U5 conversions handle like broken go karts IMO, or a car that has been badly repaired from a collision. Take the Renault Alpine as an example, no body roll, as stiff as a kart, wrong kind of tyres, and almost no force feedback as a result.
You don't even know how accurate the NSX is to it's real counterpart. I've never driven it, but i know they actually had a guy involved in the project who owns a NSX to test it. I don't think S3R1U5 owns the cars he did.
Then you mention Smallblockhero's cars look just as good as Kunos'.
No way. To me they look like generic Forza ports with some texture remapping, and fall short on all the little details Kunos put in it's models (correct lights, shaders, lods, etc.
I don't want to link ripped content here but I know x4fab did some good ports, aside from his great scratch Peugeot.

I know not all ripped cars are very bad, but you did not point out the best ones. And sorry, they don't match cars like the NSX or Kunos content.

Last edited:
Most rips by "Smallblockhero"(mainly old cars too!!!) looks almost BETTER than Kunos cars.
look im a good friend of donnies but you are out of your mind if you think smallblocks cars can match that of kunos cars. same for that other guy, s3rious or whatever his name is always get thes contrast and white balance wrong so its its two dark, increasing the brightness makes the exterior environment look horrid.

Well I have been waiting for a year for someone to fix the Ferrari 312 by smallblockhero and now it looks, sounds, and handles great to me.
I know what you guys mean though.
I have been downloading lots of bad cars with interiors so dark that we couldn't see a thing.
I usually delete these ones and keep only the good ones.

Edit : I just checked that "x4fab" guy you mentioned...
Wow so he's the one who did the Mazda RX7 Time Attack?..
Well you don't mention the best cars either then! lol
Cos the interior of this car is completely BLACK. We can't see a thing inside.
Also the car is insanely fast...

Last edited:
So basically - it's not like a guy - "Bob - car enthusiast/gamer" did it for another game, and someone ripped it off him and released it for AC. It's illegal because "Bob gamer" did not officially license the car by the company who made it, and/or doesn't own the copyrights, etc. Not to mention ripping it from say, a Forza game owned/created by Turn 10.

I don't know if anyone of you recognize these websites for paid AC mods are legit or not, such as the ********************* and RTM Mod Shop because I'm itching to get some of their mods. So whoever purchased mods on those websites can anyone tell me do you really get it's worth?

I don't know if anyone of you recognize these websites for paid AC mods are legit or not, such as the ********************* and RTM Mod Shop because I'm itching to get some of their mods. So whoever purchased mods on those websites can anyone tell me do you really get it's worth?
both are ripped, ive made the mistake of buying from them in the past, they never update the mods, well rtm did a few times but they have the guts to ask for more money for the update. Dont make the mistake, you will regret it as i did a long time ago.

both are ripped, ive made the mistake of buying from them in the past, they never update the mods, well rtm did a few times but they have the guts to ask for more money for the update. Dont make the mistake, you will regret it as i did a long time ago.

I was about to make the jump of buying some but hey thanks, I won't buy anything from those sites. If there are free ones then I can do it here.

I love most of the "illegal" mods I downloaded, but I sure would never have paid for them, especially when I know that for example, most S3RIUS cars are ripped from Forza.
On the other hand, I consider that URD mods are worth every penny.:)
I think that URD is the only one worth paying for.

I love most of the "illegal" mods I downloaded, but I sure would never have paid for them, especially when I know that for example, most S3RIUS cars are ripped from Forza.
On the other hand, I consider that URD mods are worth every penny.:)
I think that URD is the only one worth paying for.

Yes - and you have the added assurance that Kunos outsource some of their cars to them, so if anyone's going to be aware of physics updates, and is likely to release updates for previous content, it's URD.

And they gave the Indy Lights away for free to previous customers, which made me like them even more.

"S3R1U5" rips look better than most mods on RD too... lol
And they handle better than recent legal mods on RD like the Honda NSX or Renault 5...
Try them!

The only ones I found which were uber s*** were from Assetto Garage.
And strangely everybody talk about them. lol:O_o:
Same for me! I LOVE the mods from "Smallblockhero" - the AC_LEGENDS - they look awsome and I prefere the handling to most of the "original" classic cars :)
I have to add an example: The original GT40 - great looking - but just a sad experience to drive, I´ll NEVER do it again (no brakes! no grip! just sad!) - just compare it with the "Shelby Daytona" - great sound! great brakes! great handling! (it may not be leagal it may not be really realistic - but man it´s a blast to drive!!! You may hate me for telling the truth - but that is not my problem!

Last edited:
Hey i want to ask something. I installed f1al2015_mp4_30 car for example and when i click start the engine it the screen turns black and i go back to the main menu, i want to ask why this is happening is the mod illegal and banned ?

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I would like to get opinions on a page I found on a mod website, to make an idea if it appears legal to you.
As you can see at this link Mod Edit: link removed
the seller gives instructions on how to pay for his mods, BUT he precisely states that the buyer must indicate that the transfer of money isn't for a commercial transaction, but "sending funds to friends and family".
In this way he not only asks money for some of the mods (no idea if ripped, no idea about quality, no idea if they infringe any copyright) but he also tries to don't pay the fees that PayPal imposes to sellers.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I would like to get opinions on a page I found on a mod website, to make an idea if it appears legal to you.
As you can see at this link removed
the seller gives instructions on how to pay for his mods, BUT he precisely states that the buyer must indicate that the transfer of money isn't for a commercial transaction, but "sending funds to friends and family".
In this way he not only asks money for some of the mods (no idea if ripped, no idea about quality, no idea if they infringe any copyright) but he also tries to don't pay the fees that PayPal imposes to sellers.
What do you guys think?
RTM is probably the most infamous sim racing scammer, guy is like a hydra, cut down one paypal account or website or whatever but they pop up again. He preys on people that dont know much about realism or quality.

To explain why they make you pay via "donation" is that you cant seek a refund, lets say you send them £20. But a week later your car hasn't arrived, you ask and they have deemed you suspicious so you cant get the car. You ask for a refund, but you didnt pay, you donated, paypal will do nothing, you cant chargeback, you cant open a case, you are out £20. Theres a dozens of stories over the past 5 years of this guy stealing mods, reselling mods and in general being really shady. Even if you are the type of person that doesnt care about ethics of where the car model came from its not worth the risk of dealing with them after consistent negative feedback.

I want to make this as clear as possible, stay well away from rtm, they a stain in the name of this fantastic modding community.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still want to bump this but to my opinion where is the line in the sand.

So Imagine you made a real life Porsche recreation and call it a Borsh. There is always in the end the designer that designed the car ideas, visuals, looks and all the other things people do not even get. I'm pretty sure if this would happen in real life Porsche would file a lawsuit against Borsh.

I have a cool own made recreation from Spa-Francorchamps 2020 like it is in real life (huge upgrade on the Kunos AC model + many new 3D work and upgrades on original model) for RF2/AC soon (Free) and building my own Porsche GT4 recreation pack for AC/RF2 (Thinking to sell it..)

But in the end I cannot sell this GT4 pack I think.. Take in mind how many months of hard work that I want to earn back a little bit as freelancer to pay back my licenses for Adobe and Autodesk. I think it's fair to ask a little 3$ for a mod that is actually worth a lot more. Let's assume you worked 1920 hours like I did on Spa alone. Take 1$ per hour... I cannot even pay back my licenses with this small money per hour. I think many modders use illegal software as well, I'm not blaming but you get my point.

In the end doing it for fun and because I miss the
real track experience
which has a lot little bump curbs, F1 grade curbs, asphalt parts, wider green curb zones on the chicane (Astroturf looking but green painted asphalt) and the nature, digiflags, new concrete walls on pits and double left.

I know because I had a trackday once in a gt4 Cayman a year ago that I hired, so don't shoot at me pointing out that to my sim experience I talk about RF2 here. ACC is visually nice but the feeling is really not close to the real stuff in a GT4 (there is like a blind spot in slippage you miss out)

If we could have the feeling in steering like RF2 with the looks of the AC engine + Shader patch by Ilja Ilja's work to have a dynamic weather that looks above many game engines... (2020 rain mod is so dope) + my model of SPA with a cool GT4 mod that feels like I experienced it. We made gold.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years