IL-2: Battle of _____ , flight sims

how was yo racing in flying sims? someting like map mods or someting?
i remember sms studio (pCARS makers) was makin red bull air race game but abandoned it i dont know why.
as there are no plane racing sims out there an i was so hyped at tis game, when physics would be good an yo have good stick why not fly as tey do in red bull air race world championship

Hi Dario and All,

the race-tracks were integrated into mainly interested land-scapes in all available maps at that time
which were in the IL-2 series. I believe we had somewhere between 60 and 80 different tracks.
The boundaries of the tracks were marked with high smoke stacks and pylons on the sides and their height also defined the max. altitude which could not be exceeded with more than 1 wingspan.
We had a lot of of different tracks from short slow ones in 8-shape up to 60 - 70- km long endurance tracks which went through valleys, canyons, up the mountain-sides and steep down again along rivers and sometimes through the main streets of a village or city...;-D and so on.
The participants were a mix of sim-racers and RL-Airline and air-force -pilots.
Each weekend 1 track was chosen and 6 races with different planes had to be flown.
At this time there were 300+ flyable planes in the sim and each 1 required a different motor-management over the distance as you could change the view for safety purposes but everything else was full real.
This means a proper cooling strategy had to be developed for each plane on each track.
For example: A BF-109 G 2 shows the overheat warning after 4:25 at max. speed and will die 25 secs
later if not cooled down by opening the cooling inlets. Over a race which lasts 25 mins up and down
the country-side this requires a lot of calculation. As it is possible to pre-cool with different settings or to cool all-open downhill with prop-pitch low all depends on the shape of the track.
Every racer had their favorite planes.
The above mentioned Messerschmidt was my favorite for prop-air-warfare as it had an excellent power-to-weight-ratio and could out-climb all planes of it´s era and in good hands easily match the Spit´s, , Laggs, early Yaks and La´s.etc.
In Air Racing I had no real favorite, but if I had to choose it would be 1 of the P-38´s.
In all races over the years I participated with 1 of these babies I won all.
I need to check whether I find some recordings which I can upload..

All the best.

Manfred

-85%
I *FINALLY* got Flying Circus because of that sale. But with MSFS2020 on my computer, I haven't really messed around with those old canvas kites yet. Will get around to it later. :p

Hi Dario and All,

the race-tracks were integrated into mainly interested land-scapes in all available maps at that time
which were in the IL-2 series. I believe we had somewhere between 60 and 80 different tracks.
The boundaries of the tracks were marked with high smoke stacks and pylons on the sides and their height also defined the max. altitude which could not be exceeded with more than 1 wingspan.
We had a lot of of different tracks from short slow ones in 8-shape up to 60 - 70- km long endurance tracks which went through valleys, canyons, up the mountain-sides and steep down again along rivers and sometimes through the main streets of a village or city...;-D and so on.
The participants were a mix of sim-racers and RL-Airline and air-force -pilots.
Each weekend 1 track was chosen and 6 races with different planes had to be flown.
At this time there were 300+ flyable planes in the sim and each 1 required a different motor-management over the distance as you could change the view for safety purposes but everything else was full real.
This means a proper cooling strategy had to be developed for each plane on each track.
For example: A BF-109 G 2 shows the overheat warning after 4:25 at max. speed and will die 25 secs
later if not cooled down by opening the cooling inlets. Over a race which lasts 25 mins up and down
the country-side this requires a lot of calculation. As it is possible to pre-cool with different settings or to cool all-open downhill with prop-pitch low all depends on the shape of the track.
Every racer had their favorite planes.
The above mentioned Messerschmidt was my favorite for prop-air-warfare as it had an excellent power-to-weight-ratio and could out-climb all planes of it´s era and in good hands easily match the Spit´s, , Laggs, early Yaks and La´s.etc.
In Air Racing I had no real favorite, but if I had to choose it would be 1 of the P-38´s.
In all races over the years I participated with 1 of these babies I won all.
I need to check whether I find some recordings which I can upload..

All the best.

Manfred

I hope someone will resurrect the air race courses!

• Deleted member 963434

i get back into il2 bttle of stalingrad yesterday, played it today also i bought battle of boddenplatte to fly spitfires and mustangs. finally went to expert servers when yo must manage engines cooling, mixtured, rpms etc. such good gameplay yo flying 10 minutes sippin beer then you look at enemys, such chilling game but when you find enemy plane so stressfull experience and i like it, for past two days i didnt destroy any plane and died like 10 times, but earlier i was playing at normal servers and there sometimes i shoot something

• Deleted member 963434

dcs free period and sale
i have dcs too but not steam, but standalone, not installed right now but i have keys,
now i uprgraded my pc maybe i giv it a trie, xD
but i find il2 more easy to learn, hard to master and more noob friendly, i mean i had first il 2 sturmoviks at 2000s on my old pc i was like 13- 16 y.o. then il 2 1946 i spend so much time in it, then i get dcs and play it more than current il2 battle of stalingrad etc, but i never fly anything in multiplayer, its too hard yo must know every button to press to even start, in il2 BOS yo just press button for start procedure and yo pilot start plane itselft, thats easier and yo can fly. in dcs every server i enter i think i must spend 3 hours on reading plane instruction.
but i feel dcs very good. i have dcs FC3, MIG-15 bis, nevada, budaj dlcs etc, i may reinstall it someday now i have new PC wit ryzen cpu and it would run better , i agree flying in dlc feels more real and maps and cities bigger and planes feel more real

• Deleted member 963434

and funy thing why i spent money on mig - 15 bis? cause tis plane is monument in my city, we have exact plane, but without engine and weapons i think as monument, whole plane is high on big rod and yo can see whole real plane

Well, thats exactly the point of both sims, DCS aims to be the study one :p Keep in mind that there are "cheat" keys and one for example is for automatic start procedure. While DCS shines as this super hardcore, crazy study sim, there are some assists and simplifications are can be enabled and used. There's also game mode and other stuff, but i didnt rly dive into it too much.
Make sure to take advantage of f2p period and see how the game runs. Vulkan and multithreading updates are in the works, we probablygonna see some in 2021 :whistling:
Im hyped for Hind, check out multicrew for Huey aswell, looks cool

Modern Air Combat would be the best, but they didnt share any news about it in a long time

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

i think latest il2s are more casuel friendly, hop in and learn everything in 1 hours, and dcs is 1 hour to learn one plane xD
but i dont tell its not good simulation, i mean im not ww2 fighter pilot and never been (OF COURSE XD) but to play dcs yo must sacrifice a little of yo life to even learn

• Deleted member 963434

Well, thats exactly the point of both sims, DCS aims to be the study one :p Keep in mind that there are "cheat" keys and one for example is for automatic start procedure. While DCS shines as this super hardcore, crazy study sim, there are some assists and simplifications are can be enabled and used. There's also game mode and other stuff, but i didnt rly dive into it too much.
Make sure to take advantage of f2p period and see how the game runs. Vulkan and multithreading updates are in the works, we probablygonna see some in 2021 :whistling:
Im hyped for Hind, check out multicrew for Huey aswell, looks cool

Modern Air Combat would be the best, but they didnt share any news about it in a long time
last time i played dcs was more than year ago, i tried to teach myselft a-10 campaign and i learn how to lock and destroy tanks etc , ,cant count f-15 or su25 missions such good adventure.i think i may re download dcs again as my disk space incereased i swap my ssd 256 gb to 1000 gb ssd xd

It will also be good as a benchmark for DCS and your new PC and to have some reference point, when encountered with any future improvement. DCS in VR will for sure be my benchmark for my next PC :D

For those of you for whom DCS and or IL2 is just too clunky in VR then you need to take a look at this:

Once you get over the graphics being a generation behind (good for VR) and that your hands are really your hands (no HOTAS support, everything is done with the VR controllers*) then this is absolutely mindblowing, and well worth the 25 bucks.

*The VR controller implementation is stunning, so much so that I wonder why I bothered to buy a Warthog setup. Honestly you won't believe how good it is until you try it.

*Rudder pedals are supported so not quite everything needs VR controllers, and it works great with my cheapy TM pedals.

Last edited:
IL sale

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back