if you could rank the physics......

Msportdan

@Simberia
in rre among the top sim games at this point where would you put it.
heres mine:-
1.GScE
2.RF2
3.Iracing
4.AC
5.RRexperience
6.Pcars (havent played so cant judge)

Just to note, i think gsce and rf2 are very close but, as i think the ffb in Gsc is better i prefer the feeling and handling.
Please rank your thoughts

I think we can even once and for all finally put this argument to bed.

Pretty much all the top sims of the current generation base their "physics" on real-world data.

Obviously there's only so much real world data our PC's can handle, so the rest comes down to how you feel Sim X has creatively bridged that gap between real physics and what is possible on a PC, and how that is PRESENTED to the user.

(Even the worlds most powerful Supercomputer couldn't handle all the variables involved in real world physics, as you'd need to get down to the quantum level of each molecule of rubber interacting with each grain of road tarmac for true 100% accuracy).

So what's left is how each user interprets that creative part of each respective Sim.

Any good psychologist will tell you that we are each biased more or less towards one or other of our senses.

Simracer A might be very VISUALLY biased and so to them whichever Sim does the best job of giving good visual representation of what it's underlying physics is doing is the one that will come out on top - even here there is divergence - some might be drawn to the car-body movement: how it rolls and pitches as it moves around - someone else might be drawn to how the car appears to slip and slide according to grip levels.

Simracer B might be TOUCH biased and so base their preference solely on FFB and pick whichever Sim matches their idea of how a real car steering wheel would feel - and again there is divergence here - some might prefer absolute real FFB that lacks any of the "added" effects that in a real car you'd only get through the chassis and seat not necessarily the steering wheel, whereas someone else might prefer those added chassis effects to the FFB as that is what feels more "real" to them.

Others might be heavily AUDIO biased and whichever Sim sounds right to them is going to come out on top because that audio experience is so powerful to them, the other factors of interpreted physics are secondary to that person.

And of course, there are as many mixes of those different types of sense bias as there are people.

It's been said many times, but worth repeating - we really are in a Golden time for Sims, we're all spoiled for choice really, with something for everyone on the table, (and hopefully enough of us to keep all the titles in profit and healthy!).

And as I said at the beginning of this meaningless prattle, pretty much all of them now base their underlying physics on real world data as much as possible so the choice is yours, you are free to pick whatever FEELS, LOOKS, SOUNDS, (smells?) right to you.

So maybe we can put finally end this "Sim A has better physics than Sim B" nonsense.
They're all good, just in different ways that appeal to different people because that's just how we're wired.

But we all know Simracers better than that, so can all happily ignore everything I've written and carry on with many more years of haters vs fanboys. :)

I haven't played all the sims, but of the ones I have played:
  • rFactor 2
  • Game Stock Car Extreme
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Race 07
  • Raceroom Racing Experience (I haven't played since the latest update though, so it might be better now)
Sorry S3, I know this is your forum and don't want to be too belittling of your efforts, but the cars feel a wee bit too "heavy" to me... rFactor just seems more believable. ;)

I think we can even once and for all finally put this argument to bed.

Pretty much all the top sims of the current generation base their "physics" on real-world data.

Obviously there's only so much real world data our PC's can handle, so the rest comes down to how you feel Sim X has creatively bridged that gap between real physics and what is possible on a PC, and how that is PRESENTED to the user.

(Even the worlds most powerful Supercomputer couldn't handle all the variables involved in real world physics, as you'd need to get down to the quantum level of each molecule of rubber interacting with each grain of road tarmac for true 100% accuracy).

So what's left is how each user interprets that creative part of each respective Sim.

Any good psychologist will tell you that we are each biased more or less towards one or other of our senses.

Simracer A might be very VISUALLY biased and so to them whichever Sim does the best job of giving good visual representation of what it's underlying physics is doing is the one that will come out on top - even here there is divergence - some might be drawn to the car-body movement: how it rolls and pitches as it moves around - someone else might be drawn to how the car appears to slip and slide according to grip levels.

Simracer B might be TOUCH biased and so base their preference solely on FFB and pick whichever Sim matches their idea of how a real car steering wheel would feel - and again there is divergence here - some might prefer absolute real FFB that lacks any of the "added" effects that in a real car you'd only get through the chassis and seat not necessarily the steering wheel, whereas someone else might prefer those added chassis effects to the FFB as that is what feels more "real" to them.

Others might be heavily AUDIO biased and whichever Sim sounds right to them is going to come out on top because that audio experience is so powerful to them, the other factors of interpreted physics are secondary to that person.

And of course, there are as many mixes of those different types of sense bias as there are people.

It's been said many times, but worth repeating - we really are in a Golden time for Sims, we're all spoiled for choice really, with something for everyone on the table, (and hopefully enough of us to keep all the titles in profit and healthy!).

And as I said at the beginning of this meaningless prattle, pretty much all of them now base their underlying physics on real world data as much as possible so the choice is yours, you are free to pick whatever FEELS, LOOKS, SOUNDS, (smells?) right to you.

So maybe we can put finally end this "Sim A has better physics than Sim B" nonsense.
They're all good, just in different ways that appeal to different people because that's just how we're wired.

But we all know Simracers better than that, so can all happily ignore everything I've written and carry on with many more years of haters vs fanboys. :)

Sorry, what was that ;)

It is defo still iceRacing. Tested during the weekend.
I joined in the spring of this year and I can definitely see how somebody could call it iceRacing but I had never heard that name so at that time I kept going and once you 'get' how to drive each car it doesn't feel all that different from other sims.

It takes a while but you can drive those cars hard (MX-5, Lotus 79, Ruf are my current favourites) and it doesn't feel like there' s a lack of grip at all.

i created a points table comparing my sims..
2vvtd34.png

That's a really good idea. I may try doing that one day with mine and see which one I really like the best... :D

It doesn't though, that's the problem. I think many rF2 users have just adapted to using visible clues with minimal FFB at the wheel for slip-angle. Ask the ISI devs, they will tell you that it is not provided like it was in all the previous games based on the last ISI engine (rF1, Race 07, GSCE, etc.)

It's just not there, they changed the FFB method from friction to steering torque so it feels more like an actual car, but without the artificial forces to replace the inner ear/buttock feedback which the slip-angle provides.

I guess it all depends on how advanced your setup is then... From what you said, it sounds like a top notch sim rig with buttkickers and hydraulic actuators would benefit from the new ISI engine. Maybe that's the way ISI wants to go with their sims now?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back