If i where on the Liberty Media Board of directors i would ?

I have been a fan of F1 for many years but some rules i find stupid. So i ask you if you could be on the Liberty Media board of directors what would you want to change. Or what would you introduce.

1.I think teams should be allowed to change setups in sessions before the race. espeshaly if rain occurs in a session. You should never fight a dry setup in wet conditions. Its to dangerous.

2.I would overhaul points system to accommodate full field. If you come outside top 10 you get 0 points. If you retire you get 0 points. So if your at the back and struggling wheres the incentive to finish, you will pull over and park it and make up a mechanical problem because you gave up driving the car.

3.Introduce a budget cap, this will be hard with the big teams. And accountants will have to do through investigations into financial dealing's making shore nothing is done under the table. So it will be hard to control.

4. Start season with short no championship events like NASCAR. to get the drivers acclimatized to the cars after spending winter in a simulator.

5.That is a new one don't use simulators to test cars. Testing should be a physical drive on a track.

6.Eliminate electronics like Kers or DRS. They do nothing to aid driver safety.

7.No more vacuum cleaner V6 turbos. at least a V8. V10 or V12 for bigger teams.

8.Fix airo there is to much at the back hence its impossible to slipstream. Make the back end square and block'y to raise vacuum and help cars behind follow.

Reactions: DND
.Eliminate electronics like Kers or DRS. They do nothing to aid driver safety.

---

Uhm... DRS is more a mechanical thing and KERS already has been replaced in 2014.

And neither had the target to aid driver safety. There are there for easier overtakes, something that was inteoduced to compensate for the slistream issue you mentioned in bullet point 8.

I gave up on F1 after the 2017 season and have not missed it at all in it's current state (past 10+ years). Won't go on a rant by going to all the reasons why but my changes address most of them.

Not so much as if I were on the BOD...more like I was King of F1 :)

1. Basic requirements are to Ride Height, Length, Width, Weight to mins and max. Max fuel per weekend.
1.a Fuel cell size, engine choice, transmission, energy recovery, turbos etc.. up to teams.
2. No pit stop requirements and allow refueling
3. No engine restriction ...want to run an hybrid or V12 fine.
4. Open tire choices. Have a soft, medium, hard, inter and wet. You get an allowance for the year on drys, how you want to use them is up to the teams
5. Eliminate street circuits...period. The hypocrisy of saying tracks like Imola or Road America are too dangerous while tracks like Monaco and Azerbaijan are fine is a bit ridiculous.
6. Tell the stewards to relax, if contact was result of hard racing opposed to being an idiot. Let it go.
7. Eliminate penalties for mechanical failures
8. Penalties for infractions are applied per race and do not carry forward
8. Distribute funds to teams in a more sensible way
9. Restructure fees, TV rights, executive salaries etc to make it more accessible to fans and tracks
10. Get rid of the aero micro bits of wings and weather vanes

Last edited:
Well, we all have our wishlists. Mine would be to update the safety requirements of the 1988 rule book and go for it. For me, F1 doesn’t need to be the cutting edge of technology. It needs to be exciting to watch and difficult to drive fast.

However, budget cap / better distribution of money among teams, is something LM needs to tackle so I’ll address only this point.

It’s not impossible to monitor R&D spending by the teams. A standard accounting firm could oversee this in behalf of LM quite easily.

My idea is that, once a cap is defined, teams must operate below that cap or, if they decide to go over the cap, each one dollar over the cap requires a one dollar (or two dollar) deposit into an account that can be accessed by teams operating below the cap. So, if Ferrari wants to spend US$ 100 million over the cap, they can do so if they deposit another US$ 100 million in that other account, which would complement other teams’ budget to get them closer to the cap. Naturally, teams would be very diligent with any spending above the cap and there would be an evident compromise in going over the cap. Not to mention that it would be extremely difficult to convince the CFO to agree on such spending.

And, within that cap, the teams can do whatever they want. If they want to spend it on track testing instead of CFD, so be it.

I also do not understand the benefit of not allowing setup changes before the race, unless it is safety related; can't see how.
Hitting the struggling teams with ridiculous 4000 place grid penalties is absurd. Again, I do not know what purpose this serves.

However, the changes to the front aero should make the racing better in a year or two. Ross Brawn knows a thing or two about it.

I gave up on F1 after the 2017 season and have not missed it at all in it's current state (past 10+ years). Won't go on a rant by going to all the reasons why but my changes address most of them.

Not so much as if I were on the BOD...more like I was King of F1 :)

1. Basic requirements are to Ride Height, Length, Width, Weight to mins and max. Max fuel per weekend.
1.a Fuel cell size, engine choice, transmission, energy recovery, turbos etc.. up to teams.
2. No pit stop requirements and allow refueling
3. No engine restriction ...want to run an hybrid or V12 fine.
4. Open tire choices. Have a soft, medium, hard, inter and wet. You get an allowance for the year on drys, how you want to use them is up to the teams
5. Eliminate street circuits...period. The hypocrisy of saying tracks like Imola or Road America are too dangerous while tracks like Monaco and Azerbaijan are fine is a bit ridiculous.
6. Tell the stewards to relax, if contact was result of hard racing opposed to being an idiot. Let it go.
7. Eliminate penalties for mechanical failures
8. Penalties for infractions are applied per race and do not carry forward
8. Distribute funds to teams in a more sensible way
9. Restructure fees, TV rights, executive salaries etc to make it more accessible to fans and tracks
10. Get rid of the aero micro bits of wings and weather vanes
Yes i think the richer teams should donate to charity extra money rather than develop parts sent to track. There has to be a restriction on how much development work can be done in one season. For aerodynamics. The cars of the big 3 teams AMG-Mercedes, Scuderia-Ferrari and Red Bull-Renault evolve a lot. At a rate that the rest cant keep up due to lack of money.

Well, we all have our wishlists. Mine would be to update the safety requirements of the 1988 rule book and go for it. For me, F1 doesn’t need to be the cutting edge of technology. It needs to be exciting to watch and difficult to drive fast.

However, budget cap / better distribution of money among teams, is something LM needs to tackle so I’ll address only this point.

It’s not impossible to monitor R&D spending by the teams. A standard accounting firm could oversee this in behalf of LM quite easily.

My idea is that, once a cap is defined, teams must operate below that cap or, if they decide to go over the cap, each one dollar over the cap requires a one dollar (or two dollar) deposit into an account that can be accessed by teams operating below the cap. So, if Ferrari wants to spend US$ 100 million over the cap, they can do so if they deposit another US$ 100 million in that other account, which would complement other teams’ budget to get them closer to the cap. Naturally, teams would be very diligent with any spending above the cap and there would be an evident compromise in going over the cap. Not to mention that it would be extremely difficult to convince the CFO to agree on such spending.

And, within that cap, the teams can do whatever they want. If they want to spend it on track testing instead of CFD, so be it.
This makes sense. Evey dollar over goes into other teams to move the mid and back of the pack forward. And encourage new power-plants like Audi/Volswagen (Same company) who chose not to go into F1 because its a nightmare starting out. Remember US GP the team fell apart and did not come up with a complete car.

I also do not understand the benefit of not allowing setup changes before the race, unless it is safety related; can't see how.
Hitting the struggling teams with ridiculous 4000 place grid penalties is absurd. Again, I do not know what purpose this serves.

However, the changes to the front aero should make the racing better in a year or two. Ross Brawn knows a thing or two about it.
How do you get a 4000 place grid penalty

/thread[/QU
The bug with the H shifter is ih had a meatal pole that slid to gearbox and snaped a lot. Better meatal could be used but it would be to heavy. Pluss the driver has better control of the car with 2 hands on wheel and not one. But there is a chance they could mess up a gear change.

@Antony Snook I don't see what issue there would be with weight, all teams would be in the same position. They'd just look to save it elsewhere or choose potential unreliability and saving over durability. It's the same kind of design decision they make all over the cars already.

As for helping the drivers control the car, they are the best there is, so they will deal with it. Indeed they could mess up a gear change but that's kinda the point...

Who knows maybe a carbon fiber shiftier pole would be the solution. You have to understand the shiftier is on one side and the car's weight is balanced left and right. Or you could put a lead weight on the opposite side the so weight of the H shiftier. But We need technology that's relevant to cars on the road and paddle shifts are. I live in Canada and i cant remember the last time i saw someone use a stick shift, probably about 15-20 years ago. Its mostly all automatic here. The stick shift is more coummoun in Europe where most of the drivers are from.

I wouldn't be able to say what particular feature should or shouldn't be used to make F1 more competitive, I don't care how they power the cars, so I'm not hung up on them having louder engines or anything.

For me what would be most important is that the sport is maintained. That would mean making it fair to all participants. There are all kinds of budgeting caps you could put on teams but I think it would be very difficult to police with big teams like Mercedes who just have everything they need at their disposal.

I think one way they could quickly limit larger teams is by putting a caps on how much background staff they can use. Limit the amount of engineers they can use in every part of production, that puts a real hard limit on what can be achieved by giving everyone a level playing field when it comes to workable hours and talent behind the scenes. Having big teams with thousands of people working in the background when smaller teams may only have hundreds isn't fair, if everyone had the same background staff numbers, big teams wouldn't have as much of an advantage.

• Allow for proper engines again
  • Bring back the clutch and h-shifter :inlove:

H shifter! Total agreee!!!
More the driver skills... and bring back the V10/12

We need also back to school tracks.. pitt girls... and a new James Hunt
F1 drivers mix in the season in
sportscar racing... again no hybrid but flames and sound
And we need more people like Max.. not the same corect blah...blah :thumbsup:

Take off half of the downforce. Remove all those little winglets (that turn in to carbon litter sooner or later), what's not there does not need to be developed. Develop better tires to make up for the loss. If the tires are the main thing keeping that car on track, speed differences between cars will be much less. As all cars have the same tires to work with.

• Reduce downforce to make cars able to follow again. Overtaking should be half car, half skill. Like Enzo Ferrari said, "Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines."
  • Open inspections. Reduce significantly the secrecy in the sport.
  • Less asphalt, more grass and gravel. True consequences to going off-track need to include the possibility of retirement.
  • Do something to attract more teams. The races can be more exciting when more cars are out there. When is the last time we saw a car listed as DNQ because the grid was limited on number of cars?
  • More variety in the calendar. Remember when the German GP was held in two different locations, alternating years? Many countries could do the same. UK, USA, Australia, Spain, France, Russia, China, Japan.
  • Kill the Pay TV branding. You want more audience? Make it easier, not more expensive.
  • Three tyre types (plus wets) for the whole season. Not six. And all three are available for all races. Right now it just seems like Pirelli is making stuff up to keep getting paid for work that doesn't really need to be done.
  • Allow the top tier teams to have true B-Team cars. To a certain extent, allow them to share parts, serve as a proving ground for rookie drivers and engineers alike.

A more radical change could be to prohibit ANY artificial downforce from wings and underbody.
Very easy to control via mandatory windtunnel test of cars.:p
And when aero because of this became reduced to drag reducing then a lot of the research in optimizing grip and suspension could be transfered to road cars (again).:thumbsup:
Getting rid of the artificial wings and venturis would again make overtaking dependent of driver skills - and not any laughable artificial KERS and DRS buttons.

Anybody who have seen Frankenheimers Grand Prix or otherwise have been watching F1 cars before they were spoiled by wings and stuff from the airline industry will probably acknowledge that there was actually a time when F1/Grand Prix racing were worth watching.:whistling:
More the driver skills... and bring back the V10/12
We need also back to school tracks.. pitt girls... and a new James Hunt
And we need more people like Max.. not the same corect blah...blah :thumbsup:
Reading this I instantly reflect on the impact ‎controversial statements from Kevin Magnussen about how he ‎longs after the risk of driving the F1 cars before they became so safe and boring as today.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs playing with F1´s risk element is analogue to something James Hunt also expressed several times.:laugh:

EDIT: Nice ass @rubaru in your avatar:sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%