If Button decides to move on, who will replace him at McLaren?

magnussen vandoorne.jpg

Speculation has been rife that Jenson Button would announce his retirement from F1 at the end of this season, after a dismal campaign with the McLaren team.

The team's new partnership with engine suppliers Honda has failed to bear fruit so far, with a noticeably underpowered engine also the cause of several reliability problems for both Button and teammate Fernando Alonso.

Last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix might have been the last straw for Button, in which the possibility of points was lost due to slow pitstops, a collision with Pastor Maldonado and finally gearbox issues.

The British driver has only gained 6 points from the 13 races so far, with a best finish of 8th at Monaco. In terms of championship standings he is only ahead of the three non-scoring Manor drivers.

Yet the 35 year-old remains a very popular personality amongst fans and the F1 paddock, most of whom would be sad to see him leave F1. Similar discussions were had only last year when McLaren struggled to decide whether to retain him or not, and the consensus seemed to be that the team had done a disservice to a great driver still hungry to race.

But any struggles he had in 2014 definitely weren't as bad as this year, and when asked about the recent rumours in Suzuka today, including a move to the World Endurance Championship, he cryptically replied "I'll be happy next year."

Should Button decide to move on, there are a couple of drivers most likely to replace him at McLaren:

Kevin Magnussen: The 22 year-old Dane was Button's teammate in 2014 and had highlights including 2nd in his first race in Australia and 5th in Russia, but otherwise Magnussen fought for the lower points behind the Briton. It'd be a shame if someone so young was stuck in testing duty for the rest of his time at McLaren, having already a year's racing experience in the cockpit (his last race was Australia this year, subbing for Alonso, and he didn't even start it!).

Stoffel Vandoorne: Magnussen's problem might be that McLaren already have another junior driver making a big impression in GP2. With top squad ART, the Belgian already finished 2nd in 2014 and so far in 2015 is crushing the competition, 108 points ahead of new Manor driver Alexander Rossi after 16 races, finishing outside the podium in only three of them.
Image: bt.dk

I feel bad for K-Mag as he's very quick, and was not given anywhere near enough time, but you cannot look past the utter domination that Stoffel has dished out in GP2 this season.

They will make a fool of themselves if they don't put Stoffel in that car or arrange a F1 seat for him. What's the point then in having a young drivers program?

Another year outside F1 will be killing for Stoffel,.... let alone Kevin. However Kevin is not having the X-factor in my opinion, I don't think we will see him back on the grid to be honest.

To be quite honest I would not mind Button moving on to WEC as long as a new young driver is introduced to the grid who brings talent to the party, not sacks of money. Need another fast Belgian in F1 since Jacky Ickx and Vandoorne has proven himself to be quite the powerhouse and he is into sim racing like Max so my approval rates for him gets doubled :p . As far as Magnussen is concerned, I'm not a big fan but it would indeed be sad if he didn't get a seat in the next two years.

It'll be Vandoorne. Magnussen has made it a thinly-veiled secret that he's willing to break off from McLaren to get another shot at F1. And I wouldn't blame him, since he's been stuck in the worst possible spot in McLaren's driver logjam.

Kevin was way faster than Stoffel when they both raced Renault 3.5 in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Formula_Renault_3.5_Series_season#Drivers.27_Championship

:thumbsup:
You are talking about something that happend 2+ years ago in "low" powerd Single seaters.
VanDoorne is way more talented then MAG in my opinion

He had his first season of GP2 last year and he became 2nd In the Drivers championship.
He's like The new 2011 Vettel in GP2 2015 if you ask me.

#BelgiumF1Drivers

I'd like Vandoorne, not Kevin. Of course, after his incidents with Alonso in Belgium last year I am not a fan, which is why I'd not like him there.
But a more reasonable reason is that Magnussen was off the pace of Button last year, and Vandoorne has the potential. He is ahead of Rossi in the GP2 standings, and Rossi got an F1 seat in Manor, already beating his teammate. Would like to see how Vandoorne could do, even if it means beating Fernando.

Maybe I should give a reason as well.

Vandoorne have had a piss poor attitude online, he is a simracer, but has been banned from many places due to said attitude. He might be a fantastic driver, and he might've changed a lot the last 2 years, but I don't like the guy.

Please expand

I think it will be Stoffel, too.

I mean, for instance, who gives a crap if you were competitive in karting (reference to the fact Magnussen was fast in F3.5), when Stoffel has dominated the second-last ladder on the way to F1?

Sad for Kevin, he was impressive right from the start of 2014, but F1 does not have enough room for all talented drivers. Some people have to be kicked out, like Kobayashi and di Resta.

He will hopefully get another chance someday. Stoffel would deserve his.

On a side note but relevant, Verstappen, only 17 years of age has proved the critics he belongs in F1. I'm cheering for him every race, he's got balls and determination, and already almost snatched his first podium, in his debut season, with a mediocre car.

When the rookie of the year poll will be up, my vote will go to Max, no questions. :p

Please expand
He for instance got banned from RD, because he forwarded server password to already banned drivers.
He drove in FSR and joined practice server with a mismatch (cheated physics) to set a very good lap and then "share" setups with other teams, so he made them believe he probably found something and of course the other theams happily offered there (most likely better setup as he was cheating) in return. That got him a ban from FSR as well.

Despite that he has been impressive in GP2 this year, but I can understand that most simracers dont like him because of his unfair behaviour, but he was not the only real racer that acted like a .... in the simracing world.

Huh, I never knew he was that dirty in simracing! When I was around in 2012 I only heard about the mismatch thing and setting the lap...but not about the password sharing or anything. Geez. O.o

You are talking about something that happend 2+ years ago in "low" powerd Single seaters.

He had his first season of GP2 last year and he became 2nd In the Drivers championship.

#BelgiumF1Drivers
2 years ago. A eon of time in formula racing?
Nowadays I believe most are simracers to some extent. Kimi is perhaps the last generation of non simracing racing drivers? Even if you don´t learn how to drive the car you do learn how to race :
I think it will be Stoffel, too.

I mean, for instance, who gives a crap if you were competitive in karting (reference to the fact Magnussen was fast in F3.5), when Stoffel has dominated the second-last ladder on the way to F1?

Sad for Kevin, he was impressive right from the start of 2014, but F1 does not have enough room for all talented drivers. Some people have to be kicked out, like Kobayashi and di Resta.

He will hopefully get another chance someday. Stoffel would deserve his.

On a side note but relevant, Verstappen, only 17 years of age has proved the critics he belongs in F1. I'm cheering for him every race, he's got balls and determination, and already almost snatched his first podium, in his debut season, with a mediocre car.

When the rookie of the year poll will be up, my vote will go to Max, no questions. :p

However Max is getting beaten by his team mate more often then not :). I think that is the only way to really compare. I assume the cars are more identical in f3.5 and carting then they are in GP2. Pastor Maldonado is a GP2 champion ;)

Lets hope stoffel don´t get the seat if what said is true he surely don´t deserve it.

2 years ago. A eon of time in formula racing?
Nowadays I believe most are simracers to some extent. Kimi is perhaps the last generation of non simracing racing drivers? Even if you don´t learn how to drive the car you do learn how to race :

However Max is getting beaten by his team mate more often then not :). I think that is the only way to really compare. I assume the cars are more identical in f3.5 and carting then they are in GP2. Pastor Maldonado is a GP2 champion ;)

Lets hope stoffel don´t get the seat if what said is true he surely don´t deserve it.

I think you hit it directly on the nail regarding GP2 and 3.5. In 3.5 all the cars are a like, and here you can do the direct comparison. Kevin Vs Stoffel in 2013, Kevin fastest. Give the seat to Kevin, I think he will do great things.

#BelgiumF1Drivers
You are misinformed as to the relevance of Formula Renault 3.5. In pure performance they are close to a GP2 car. 530 hp vs 610 hp. They also run DRS.
The claim to fame of GP2 is that they run on the F1 weekends and run the F1 tyre. Since it's created and owned by Bernie and Flavio the cost is more than double that of FR 3.5.

As a test of skill it is no less relevant and possibly more relevant as more talented drivers can afford to race there. If you win FR 3.5 you deserve an F1 seat. Carlos Sainz won it last year. Have a read who won it in previous years but it includes Kubica, Kovalienen, Sainz as well at Magnussen. Ricciardo did several races and was not dominant. Will Stevens for example won 2 races and was 6th overall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_by_Renault#Champions

Where in my view GP2 kicks in is that the well backed drivers are put there as a finishing school to learn the current tyres and be with the sponsor team on the weekends.

Several outstanding drivers have won in FR 3.5 and it was just the money and the politics that prevented them joining F1. Oliver Rowland is a fine example as is Sam Bird. It's the same money and politics that sees Carmen Jorda with a PB of 13th pace arrive as a development driver at Lotus.
None of that denudes the credibility of winning it.
So I am sorry to disagree but I disagree strongly.

Magnussen beat Van Doorne in a fair fight in 2013. Therefore he is the better driver.

Maldonado is a pay-driver. :D

I still can't believe he's a grand prix winner/pole sitter. He should be reduced to the test driver role in the very least so he could damage his car to his desires. Sadly they extended his contract...

The pay driver thing has always been there. Lauda bought his first drive, Alan Jones the same in the leftovers from the Hesketh team. But it belongs down the back. The sad thing is when it creeps further and further up the grid. When say only 3 teams (M/B, Ferrari, Red Bull) are without a pay driver something is amiss.
If you could run a team with less than 200 million less pay drivers and more pure talent would be present as well as more teams.
For example a FR 3.5 team has (I guess) a total budget of 1million. Does it have to cost 200 times that? In one golden era of F1 the Ford DFV engine was about 20,000. Now an engine deal is circa 10,000,000 or more.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years