If Alonso were to have Perez as a teammate next year...

How intense would the contempt and rivalry be between the two?

With Massa, he wouldn't be complaining like he would back with McLaren in '07.

I have a feeling Massa may stay yet again. I am just projecting a scenario.

Then again, aside from Jenson and Lewis, I think most teammates are at each others' throats.

I think alonso has matured since the mcclaren days. I think alonso would like a teammate with some decent pace, it would give him motivation. However, if Ferrari started to build the car around perez i think alonso would certainly not be happy.

In my view Alonso is never happy if his team mate has great pace. He needs to feel he has undisputed #1 status.
One commentator said on the weekend "the slower your team mate the faster you look" and its very true. Last thing Alonso wants is a fast team mate to spoil "his kingdom".

I reckon Montezemolos comments re Prez readiness were a smokescreen to cover the fact that Alonso has right of veto as to his #2. Ferrari have done this for years along with others.
Warwick lost his drive with Lotus when Senna signed with them due to Sennas wish for the team to throw all resources behind their only potential race winner. They took instead Johnny Dumfries aka the Earl of Bute.
Ferrari gave Schumacher the same right of veto and he acepted Eddie Irvine as a compliant and respectful #2. Problems started when he wasn't really that compliant or respectful.
Ferrari #2 is a poison challice and a career wrecker. Its a nice pasture to which to retire, but not a stepping stone.
edit: the only exeption is when the #1 flames out such as Schumachers broken leg which nearly got Irvine WDC until Ferrari had sudden and inexplicable floor pan issues, or such as Kimi partying too hard and losing interest and Massa nearly got WDC. You are the understudy in West End terms and thats all.

We here at "The Blown Diffuser" have been working hard with the Spanish – English translation service at Google. We have discovered that if you change just one or two assumptions held deep within their algorithms you can get very different results.
To understand what we mean first read the following translation of Fernando Alonsos comments at Singapore offered by the BBC.
Alonso said: "In my opinion we need to have a driver that respect Ferrari and the tradition of this team and that we work for the team and the red cars. This is the first priority.

"And second I have been working with Felipe three years now and [we have] a good relationship. If the team decide to change Felipe, whoever [comes in] has to be better than Felipe.

"And of the names that have been written I don't know if they have been written with the head or the heart. I don't know if you [can] compare what Felipe did in F1 with what they did…"

Our Blown Diffuser translation follows
“ I love Felipe in the team as he makes me look very very fast. Due to this people have now forgotten that Lewis Hamilton matched me in his rookie year in 2007. This perception has fuelled an almost god like respect from the top management at Ferrari and means I am paid more than anyone else in F1. The last thing I want is a fast and ambitious driver in a Ferrari . It took me two dinners and a coffee meeting with Luca De Montezemolo to come up with the excuse that Perez is too inexperienced. I can’t be asked to come up with more and more reasons to keep the fastest guys out of my team. Luca too has said that he will look like Mit Romney or Sarah Palin if he has to come up with such lame excuses for policy and that will hurt his possible electoral chances in the Italian elections."

signing out
David O'Brundle cheif F1 analyst for "The Blown Diffuser"

Hamilton never matched him in 2007 in equal conditions, he did with the support of the team that even put wrong pressures in Alonso's tyres different times during the season.

That lead to a fantastic season end in Brazil where Hamilton showed, oh surprise, that he was indeed a rookie :)

LOL seems like people have a really hard time grasping that a young british driver could take on the all-mighty freshly crowned 2-time world champion Alonso.

I take it you haven´t read much about the praise Alonso has given Hamilton on numerous occasions?

Hamilton matched and even beat a 2-time world champion in his rookie year.
If you exclude his off in China and the failure in Brazil he would have been a world champion in his first year.

I love Alonso but he has a history of choking when the teammate have the upper hand.

What this has to do with HAM?

I like HAM, but in 2007 Ron Dennis and McLaren put him as nr 1 when they realized how good he was, and was too soon because despite him being a genious of driving, he was still a rookie.

Hamilton never matched him in 2007 in equal conditions, he did with the support of the team that even put wrong pressures in Alonso's tyres different times during the season.

That lead to a fantastic season end in Brazil where Hamilton showed, oh surprise, that he was indeed a rookie :)
I would say it thaht extrem and I don't belive it happend that way.
Alonso didn't really fit into McLaren and didn't feel well in the team. If a driver doesn't feel that his own team supports him enough he can't reach his maximum performance.
Alono's handicap was psychologically (which at the same time was Lewis' adavantage).
I belive that if Alonso would have felt that well at McLaren like he does now at Ferrari, Lewis would not have matched him (which doesn't mean that he would have run circles around Lewis)

At least that is my own opinion :)

Yes.

Remember it was the black guy who raised concerns of not being able to race Alonso.
In fact it created such hysteria that the FIA started an investigation.

Nothing was found, whatever you read in spanish gossip magazines has the same credentials as Webber having signed with Ferrari, it's horse sh*t.

Equal cars, equal possibilities. Both were angry none of them were considered nr1.
One was a bit angrier because he has never handled a competitive teammate.
Last time one did he had to leave the team.

Do you really think Hamilton is nr1 at Mclaren today next to Button? of course not.
Because they never in history have had a nr1 and nr2 driver. Equal treatment is what defines Mclaren.
And ultimately hurts them when it comes to WDC´s.

Just wait and see if Hulk joins for 2013 or Di Resta.
Or even Vettel in 2014 if performance drops at RBR.

Im dying to hear the next batch of spanish gossip magazine "facts" when that person also matches alonso.

The above guys mentioned is NOT Massa...
Why do you think Alonso is soo comfortable at Ferrari?
Because his closest enemy is nowhere.

Had any of the above been in Ferrari today and been a couple of points from Alonso he would be shitting bricks.

Ron Dennis LOVED Senna, and not even he got special treatment, him and Prost had equal cars from day 1.

this sport isnt about equal driver status...its about who's more experienced and more consistent and mistake free to have a go at the WDC!!!...and win

if Mclaren had given Alonso N1 status in 07 he wouldve/couldve easily won the WDC that year FOR them
Instead they chose to promote their own countryman rookie(courtesy of genuis man Ronny Dennis)to equal status with 2xWDC champ Alonso(!!!!!!!!!!) and lost...deservedly so!:)

as they always do

i tell you: the most clever thing MS did in his career(aside from all the other ones) was to not drive for tHaT team....and these are the important choices u need to make to be succesfull

Now i have one reason to watch F1: i wana see the egg LH will produce at Merc...i cant wait to see the Legend at work:)

this sport isnt about equal driver status...its about who's more experienced and more consistent and mistake free to have a go at the WDC!!!...and win

if Mclaren had given Alonso N1 status in 07 he wouldve/couldve easily won the WDC that year FOR them
Instead they chose to promote their own countryman rookie(courtesy of genuis man Ronny Dennis)to equal status with 2xWDC champ Alonso(!!!!!!!!!!) and lost...deservedly so!:)

as they always do

i tell you: the most clever thing MS did in his career(aside from all the other ones) was to not drive for tHaT team....and these are the important choices u need to make to be succesfull

Now i have one reason to watch F1: i wana see the egg LH will produce at Merc...i cant wait to see the Legend at work:)

Yup Ron Dennis making his mistakes as usual, Kimi could of won for them if he only let Montoya slow a bit, again Dennis faults.

He should of known by putting an overrated brit driver on a brit car, for his own sake, was gonna have to have him equal or more than status to Alonso. Hence I laughed @ Brazil 2007 when Kimi won.

If Hamilton is overrated then Alonso is too, you simply can´t pick and choose there.

I don't think HAM is overrated, but McLaren completely screwed it in 2007 trying to make him win on his debut till the end, when if they would do normal with Alonso he would win the title with 5 races to go.

The team was against him and he was against the team, to the point he was happy to loose a WDC just if Hamilton and Dennis won't get it, he can't even avoid smiling in the press room :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%