Idea to get more use from servers???

POST REVIVED AFTER A FEW MONTHS - SKIP TO PAGE 4 (Post 39) - OR SEE BRAMS STICKIES ON THE TWO NEW CASUAL SERVERS FOR RACE CLUB MEMBERS AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM - THE SERVERS ARE THERE FOR YOUR USE - ANYTIME FOR RACES WITH OTHER CLUB MEMBERS - PLEASE USE AND MAKE THEM A SUCCESS!!!

Original Post -
I have noticed that very often servers are up and running for club events for (often) hours and hours before and after events. Last night after getting a disconnect at Watkins Glen I asked on the thread if its ok to use the servers if there still up? Of course the answer came back, yes its ok.

My suggestion is this - Why not unlock the server for All or at least a wider selection of cars, until the actual event start, the server would still be passworded, but any RD member wanting to join and have a go on that track is free to do so and can see before clicking join, or checking the forum that the Server is not in an organised event. This could help us all get time in on different tracks, in different cars, in servers with other like minded players - which is what most of us are here for. If at first this seems impractical think about it a little more - we want servers full, we all want to race with non-wreckers and opening the range of cars up for these 'extended practice sessions' can help with that - it could also help to level the playing field by stopping the practice of people doing 200 laps before the event practice even starts because more people would be there utilising the server, in different cars slower or faster..

A final word of warning, and just to prove I have thought about this a bit, different car classes on the same track mean you have to be extra mindful and aware of slower traffic and different handling characteristics or this might happen - the first is an in car video I found, the second some amazing quality photos from the event, the actual accident, and lower down the wreckage back in the pits, Evo's and Small Pugs on the same track, combind with overexhuberant right foot of an overly focused (on cars in the same class) driver.....

Good idea Dave and a very good post. I think you are right that we should use the servers more. Ill create two new sticky topics with two servers running int he lobby with more or less "public server settings" for a quick casual race.

Good skills for bringing this up Dave - I'd certainly use the RD servers and become ever more involved in the community here if it was possible to get races with you fellas easier. I find it hard committing to the Race Club because of the times races are organised for and how that conflicts with work etc.

Had my first race with the Race Club last week and had a ball - The rest of my time is spent on publics where there are far too many crashers. A casual RD server would be a god send.

good idea, one (new) server running all tracks for actual week with all car classes planned for those events

I think you may just have hit on a GREAT idea there Dario - What if one server had ONLY the tracks and cars for the events running that week?

That way people could join in their car choice and then VOTE the server through to the track that most of them wanted to race on - I like the idea of Democracy on the server!

Note - Democracy not to be confused with what we have here in the UK and Europe - DeMockEry - I mean no one in the UK voted for Gordon Brown (he was given it by Blair and his party) and whats all this about a President of Europe? Who decided on that? Any people out there in Europe actually had a vote on this??? OOPS - there I go agin flying off on a tangent, sorry.. Makes me laugh though, here we are in Afghanistan ramming the concept of democracy down their throats when we can't even get it right ourselves, and then we wonder why some of them want to blow us up......

i just wish there was someone on the servers, whenever i look theyre empty, but do have a good variety, WTCC08 all tracks, nice. I guess i'll go in there on me own then :waiting:. Would be nice for this huge racing club to have a few more active racers rather than just turning up for planned events. I only like the online side of it, i dont bother with offline racedays or championships against AI because i can beat them on 100%. I know i do a lot of TA mode, and i upload some of my fastest laps, but there aint many that even do that in the club, i recognise so few names on the top 100 times, so where is everyone? :starving:
p.s. i know Caterham aint that popular, but its nice every now and then for the variety, they are still very cool, like minis, and the US cars, different!.

Hang in there Gareth and please DO keep visiting the servers, even if they are empty - I don't think its going to be an overnight thing and what you have to remember is while there are lots of us here at RD - not all visit the forum every day, and not all have Race On yet - so it may take time to filter through as people get to know about it - also the UK release of the Boxed Race On is today - my local GAME has them in at £29.99 - so (hopefully) we should see an increase as people buy the boxed sets.

To everyone else who already has it - cmon people - Bram has gone to some trouble here to set this up for you all, least we can do is thank him by utilising the servers more and building thc community spirt - GET IN THOSE SERVERS THERY ARE THERE FOR YOOOOOOOOO!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.1%