Idea for RD Club event (Trial and Premium)

I had an idea which struck me the other night, which would give drivers an opportunity to learn car types, setups, tracks, driving lines, and driving styles.

The event would be run on a bi-weely basis through GTR-Evo/STCC, running on tracks and cars decided on by the participants. Each event would use a different car, and would be running on a different track.

With the following in place, each event will focus on a different base setup, base driving style, and basic skills as per each vehicle/track. Over the course of the program, each driver that participates will gain knowledge that can be put towards racing in the RD club, fairly and skillfully.

As for event structure. I was thinking the following:

120 minutes of practice (to allow for individual consultation for setup/driving)
30 minutes of ghosted qualifying (each driver is asked to push their hardest)
45 minute race (One formation lap, with the grid reversing on the S/F straight. Leading to a rolling start)***

I will explain the method being the race furhter down.

Each event practice starts with the instructor(s) running for 5-10 minutes (depending on length of track), with each other driver watching to learn a bit about the braking/acceleration points, and to get an idea of where the car needs to be each lap.

There would be one instructor for each 8 people signed up (tentative until first event happens). The instructor would give each driver attention to their driving, and how the car is reacting. With each driver, the setup will not be given, but a quick briefing on which changes should be made and why, based on driver feedback and requests. After the car has been tweaked slightly, the instructor will proceed to watch the driver who is being consulted at the time. The practice session is basically a way of each driver learning and adapting to each car type's handling and the setup methods with the assistance of the instructor. I feel this will help each participant be a more solid all around consistent driver for running in the club enviroment in whatever cars are being run in the club events.

The qualifying is going to be an all out run for all drivers. They are asked to push 100% and try and score the fastest laps possible.

***The race is another training excercise in my mind. Lately passing, over aggresiveness, and lack of respect on the track has caused some turmoil in the RD racing club. Hence why the race will be reverse order to qualifying. At the start of the race on the S/F line straight each driver will be responsible for getting themselves in their reversed positions with the help of the instructors directions. The instructor will be on the sidelines with the correct order in hand and will call out where each person needs to be. Once the field is set the now new pole sitter will lead them off at a pace of 60-80km/h with a space of no less then 3 car lengths and not an unreasonable amount behind the car in front of you (similar to RDGTC). As the cars proceed out of the final corner that is when the race begins.

The idea behind reversing the order is to put the faster drivers behind the slower drivers for a fairly lengthy race. What this does in my mind is makes the faster drivers learn to pass cleanly, and remain patient. But also, the slower drivers have to keep focus as they are aware the faster drivers are coming and this will help them keep calm when being overtaken.

Its my opinion right now that not all the incidents of late in the RD club races are only the fault of the fast and impatient, but also of the slower drivers who are erratic while being overtaken. Hopefully this idea for an event can help solve that.

As this is simple a training exercise the winner of each event is everyone for participating. For if each is willing to learn and try new things, the knowledge gained will hopefully help you win a real racing event.

This is my proposal for an event, and I am 100% dedicated to making this work in anyway shape or form. I would gladly devote myself for these events to being an instructor, and would love to solicite the assistance of the legends of RD to also help out as driving instructors.

I am posting this now to get feedback and a show of interest from the club members who would participate in something like this. Any responses, questions, and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Keith Barrick

Yes, YES, YES! (Don't worry folks, my pants are dry :) )

This sounds great to me, it's just the sort of thing I could do with, and would help teach everyone some self discipline.

Although I couldn't help teach people to drive, I'd be happy to help where I could.

This sounds like a great idea for a "club night"
I am well up for learning more and in turn passing on what I know (or what I think I know :D), whilst getting to know other people in the club better and having some fun whilst we are at it.

An additional idea might include pairing up drivers of similar or even different speeds in the practise sessions, and getting them to try to follow each other round at race pace without contacting each other, then practicing overtaking each other, etc ... and if they do punt each other off, they will learn why and how this happened and hopefully what to look out for in a race.

I been lucky to have done a lot of this with some of the BVM boys, and it has helped me tremendously.

Great idea Keith, and tbh I think this type of positive approach rather than imposing more rules will help allieviate some of the current issues RD seems to be facing ... :good:

It will be very hard to manage, particularly at first untill people get used to it and its format, but it will get easier as less people involed are new to the idea. This isnt really a bad point as with everyone in these kind of things, instructors and participants alike you only get out what you put in.

I'd be more than willing to participate and to help you out with it anyway I can. Im no alien so im unlikely to be an instructor in all of this but would happily devote some time to the management of it too since I've got it to give if you need it.

All in all a good idea and well thought through. I'd be interested to here more on what people think specifically about the format of the night itself.

• Kyrill Verheij

Seems like a briljant idea for me. I also would like to get a help about setup and about driving. I know theres a setup document maded, but whit a guy helping you whit it is much better :D

It all sounded good to me, and GTRe/STCC would be good with the limited places available on the grid. A rough calculation would set a 5 to 1 or 7 to 1 student to instructor ratio (3 instructors + 21 students=24 slots or 4 instructors + 20 students=24).

The race format is interesting. I guess the easiest way to arrange the reversed grid is to start with a static grid, then at the green light get the last placed man to drive through the field, followed bye the next guy etc. until everyone is running (sorry Bob, no sitting out quali this time :D). It will certainly force faster guys to be patient, especially at tracks like Pau, and will force others to increase their situational awareness, and learn how to block fairly.

One of the bigest problems will be getting people into TeamSpeak. Once there though it should be easy(-ish) to organise things using whispers, channel commanders and seperate rooms.

It all sounded good to me, and GTRe/STCC would be good with the limited places available on the grid. A rough calculation would set a 5 to 1 or 7 to 1 student to instructor ratio (3 instructors + 21 students=24 slots or 4 instructors + 20 students=24).

The race format is interesting. I guess the easiest way to arrange the reversed grid is to start with a static grid, then at the green light get the last placed man to drive through the field, followed bye the next guy etc. until everyone is running (sorry Bob, no sitting out quali this time :D). It will certainly force faster guys to be patient, especially at tracks like Pau, and will force others to increase their situational awareness, and learn how to block fairly.

One of the bigest problems will be getting people into TeamSpeak. Once there though it should be easy(-ish) to organise things using whispers, channel commanders and seperate rooms.

Thanks for your input Tim.

I agree at first it will be a little difficult, but as would anything of this nature. Once a few events have been done, the process will be very simple and all the rules/procedure will be in place for any new comers.

Keith

We used to do this type of thing in TimeRacingClub in Forza, really helped everybody gain the few extra tenths. Guys who came new into the club easily gained a second or so over a few nights. It wasn't an arranged thing like this though - more impromptu discussions than anything else?

Maybe if as many people as poss used TeamSpeak it would also help, instead of losing your chat amongst all the others.

Just to keep some perspective on this topic, I feel I need to make one important point.

At Racedepartment, we have one overiding priority.
Clean and safe driving

So any training program supported here must meet two criteria:

1. Teach people how to drive cleanly and safely. (Racecraft, RD Rules, Situational awareness, patience)

2. Teach people to be faster. (Setups, driving lines, pedal controls).

These are in order of importance.

This sounds like a really good idea. If everybody could learn from the best, then with practice we could all enjoy closer and cleaner club nights with all the fun that would bring.

I am always open to learning new things and will always accept help when given so i would sign up for something like this in a flash.

Just to keep some perspective on this topic, I feel I need to make one important point.

At Racedepartment, we have one overiding priority.
Clean and safe driving

So any training program supported here must meet two criteria:

1. Teach people how to drive cleanly and safely. (Racecraft, RD Rules, Situational awareness, patience)

2. Teach people to be faster. (Setups, driving lines, pedal controls).

These are in order of importance.

I think that is one of the overriding reasons for this idea Warren. Right now, the only cars I see are lapping me :disapointed:. To be in the middle of the pack fighting for my place will force me to be more aware of what's going on around me, and will be a damn sight more fun than running what amounts tp practice laps :laugh2:. Getting round the track faster will be nice, but racing is about more than going fast.

I think this will benefit RD as a whole too. There will be more people able to race hard, and more importantly, race clean. With this in mind, the instructors need to be very aware of their driving in every race. It should be "do as I do", not "do as I say"

I look forward to being able to be more than a moving chicane :p and acheiveing the mid-field finish I deserve :D

I think that is one of the overriding reasons for this idea Warren. Right now, the only cars I see are lapping me :disapointed:. To be in the middle of the pack fighting for my place will force me to be more aware of what's going on around me, and will be a damn sight more fun than running what amounts tp practice laps :laugh2:. Getting round the track faster will be nice, but racing is about more than going fast.

I think this will benefit RD as a whole too. There will be more people able to race hard, and more importantly, race clean. With this in mind, the instructors need to be very aware of their driving in every race. It should be "do as I do", not "do as I say"

I look forward to being able to be more than a moving chicane :p and acheiveing the mid-field finish I deserve :D

Very kind words Tim, thanks for posting.

I do agree with Warren though that the Clean and Safe driving take priority in this club, and I think it should be top priority should this event become a reality.

Keith

Great idea.

I would be grateful if i could join as a studen.
This way you can really take full advantage of
learning new tricks from experienced drivers and
on the other hand they learn to overtake cleanly.

Although i think that also "students" should learn
how to overtake without much trouble, so it would
be nice if that would be taken into considurantion as well.

Great idea anyway! Online driving school ;)

Cheers

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 188 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing