Idea for RD Club event (Trial and Premium)

I had an idea which struck me the other night, which would give drivers an opportunity to learn car types, setups, tracks, driving lines, and driving styles.

The event would be run on a bi-weely basis through GTR-Evo/STCC, running on tracks and cars decided on by the participants. Each event would use a different car, and would be running on a different track.

With the following in place, each event will focus on a different base setup, base driving style, and basic skills as per each vehicle/track. Over the course of the program, each driver that participates will gain knowledge that can be put towards racing in the RD club, fairly and skillfully.

As for event structure. I was thinking the following:

120 minutes of practice (to allow for individual consultation for setup/driving)
30 minutes of ghosted qualifying (each driver is asked to push their hardest)
45 minute race (One formation lap, with the grid reversing on the S/F straight. Leading to a rolling start)***

I will explain the method being the race furhter down.

Each event practice starts with the instructor(s) running for 5-10 minutes (depending on length of track), with each other driver watching to learn a bit about the braking/acceleration points, and to get an idea of where the car needs to be each lap.

There would be one instructor for each 8 people signed up (tentative until first event happens). The instructor would give each driver attention to their driving, and how the car is reacting. With each driver, the setup will not be given, but a quick briefing on which changes should be made and why, based on driver feedback and requests. After the car has been tweaked slightly, the instructor will proceed to watch the driver who is being consulted at the time. The practice session is basically a way of each driver learning and adapting to each car type's handling and the setup methods with the assistance of the instructor. I feel this will help each participant be a more solid all around consistent driver for running in the club enviroment in whatever cars are being run in the club events.

The qualifying is going to be an all out run for all drivers. They are asked to push 100% and try and score the fastest laps possible.

***The race is another training excercise in my mind. Lately passing, over aggresiveness, and lack of respect on the track has caused some turmoil in the RD racing club. Hence why the race will be reverse order to qualifying. At the start of the race on the S/F line straight each driver will be responsible for getting themselves in their reversed positions with the help of the instructors directions. The instructor will be on the sidelines with the correct order in hand and will call out where each person needs to be. Once the field is set the now new pole sitter will lead them off at a pace of 60-80km/h with a space of no less then 3 car lengths and not an unreasonable amount behind the car in front of you (similar to RDGTC). As the cars proceed out of the final corner that is when the race begins.

The idea behind reversing the order is to put the faster drivers behind the slower drivers for a fairly lengthy race. What this does in my mind is makes the faster drivers learn to pass cleanly, and remain patient. But also, the slower drivers have to keep focus as they are aware the faster drivers are coming and this will help them keep calm when being overtaken.

Its my opinion right now that not all the incidents of late in the RD club races are only the fault of the fast and impatient, but also of the slower drivers who are erratic while being overtaken. Hopefully this idea for an event can help solve that.

As this is simple a training exercise the winner of each event is everyone for participating. For if each is willing to learn and try new things, the knowledge gained will hopefully help you win a real racing event.

This is my proposal for an event, and I am 100% dedicated to making this work in anyway shape or form. I would gladly devote myself for these events to being an instructor, and would love to solicite the assistance of the legends of RD to also help out as driving instructors.

I am posting this now to get feedback and a show of interest from the club members who would participate in something like this. Any responses, questions, and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Keith Barrick

I am willing to help:

Time Zone: GMT
Preferred time/day: Flexible

If you want a hand hosting a server I can do it. I have 1 meg up which would be enough for quite a few (around 14) . Not sure what you have planned already though bandwidth wise :p

Thanks Oliver, your help would be appreciated.

As for hosting, that is not a problem but that you kindly for the offer. If anything changes I will let you know.

Keith Barrick

Depending on the date and time I will sign up as well !

Great idea !

I could defintely use you for driving instruction. I think with the races we've had recently there isnt too much you need I or many others could teach :)

You are a very fierce hard working racer and I respect you for that Ries. If you would like to assist, if this goes live I would love to have you.

Entries so far for test:

1: Dave Stephenson
2: Bob Miley
3: Eric Soeters
4: Lewis Owen
5: Kris Leeten
6: Manuel Abel
7: Tim Ling
8: Dave Gardner
9: John Bergqvist
10:

Now that the entries have built up for the test, I will be working out some date/times to test based on the input, and will post possibilities. Also I will be putting together a rough draft of how the event will run.

Thanks all for the support. I will post further updates as

Keith

• Eric Soeters

I think when using TS it is important that everybody checks his quality before joining the actual room. I have multiple experiences that quality is very poor due to bad microphone, *singing of sound* due to speakers instead of headphones, or shout/whisper settings.

Just my 2 cents.

lol, not good Manuel!

The TS client is free, and the ip is the server ip that RD uses. You may need to do port forwarding, try it and see. If it does, looks like you'll be doing a hard reset on your router :p

so does this mean i cant participate in this event cause i dont have TS :(

No you may still participate. Teamspeak be essential though if/when the event becomes full time. This is simply to keep the flow of the event going, and make things as simple as possible.

For this event, the structure is not in order yet and this is a rough trial. More info will follow as to how the trial will be run. But you may participate Manuel.

*** Added your name to the list John Bergqvist

No you may still participate. Teamspeak be essential though if/when the event becomes full time. This is simply to keep the flow of the event going, and make things as simple as possible.

For this event, the structure is not in order yet and this is a rough trial. More info will follow as to how the trial will be run. But you may participate Manuel.

*** Added your name to the list John Bergqvist

thats a relief :) now im back in and ready for training.
thanks keith :beer:

GTR-Evo: Check
T-Speak: Check
Motivation for this course: Double-checked! (and double-needed if you know what I mean)

Thanks for all the effort guys! Really hope this is the start of RD's most impressing event - RD Driving School!

Sorry for the late response, been away visiting family (festive joy of joys :p) ...
I would love to join this event if there is still a spot or two free and of course if the timing is right ...

If possible, I would prefer to be a student for the test runs (to help in my hunt for those tenths / seconds I need to catch ppl like Keith and Ries :evil:) ... but if required I could try to help on the instruction side too (gimme a couple of the newer/slower boys)

With a bit more speed, knowledge and confidence, as I said before, I would love to help out on the instructor side if this goes live.

I have a slight problem with TS in that my kids sleep right next door to where my gaming rig is, so I will need to keep my own voice prompts to a minimum :rolleyes:

Time Zone:GMT
Preferred time/day: Most days from 20:00
onwards

Thanks again to Keith for suggesting and setting this up :rotfl:

A spontaneous alternative I find very useful is to jump on an RD server that is already running with a few other folk who just happen to be kicking around (either slower/faster or a similar pace) and lap with them - you can learn a lot this way, even as the quicker driver you can see where mistakes will be made, where you can overtake cleanly, etc ... and as there is no real pressure to win or lose then messing up is fully in order, and it is a hoot (as long as you learn from why you messed up and remember it when properly racing).

This is not to detract from Keith's plan, but useful as it can be done almost at any time.

RD chat is a great tool for seeing who is around and who is up for a quick blast around a track somewhere with you :good:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 425 39.6%