Idea for RD Club event (Trial and Premium)

I had an idea which struck me the other night, which would give drivers an opportunity to learn car types, setups, tracks, driving lines, and driving styles.

The event would be run on a bi-weely basis through GTR-Evo/STCC, running on tracks and cars decided on by the participants. Each event would use a different car, and would be running on a different track.

With the following in place, each event will focus on a different base setup, base driving style, and basic skills as per each vehicle/track. Over the course of the program, each driver that participates will gain knowledge that can be put towards racing in the RD club, fairly and skillfully.

As for event structure. I was thinking the following:

120 minutes of practice (to allow for individual consultation for setup/driving)
30 minutes of ghosted qualifying (each driver is asked to push their hardest)
45 minute race (One formation lap, with the grid reversing on the S/F straight. Leading to a rolling start)***

I will explain the method being the race furhter down.

Each event practice starts with the instructor(s) running for 5-10 minutes (depending on length of track), with each other driver watching to learn a bit about the braking/acceleration points, and to get an idea of where the car needs to be each lap.

There would be one instructor for each 8 people signed up (tentative until first event happens). The instructor would give each driver attention to their driving, and how the car is reacting. With each driver, the setup will not be given, but a quick briefing on which changes should be made and why, based on driver feedback and requests. After the car has been tweaked slightly, the instructor will proceed to watch the driver who is being consulted at the time. The practice session is basically a way of each driver learning and adapting to each car type's handling and the setup methods with the assistance of the instructor. I feel this will help each participant be a more solid all around consistent driver for running in the club enviroment in whatever cars are being run in the club events.

The qualifying is going to be an all out run for all drivers. They are asked to push 100% and try and score the fastest laps possible.

***The race is another training excercise in my mind. Lately passing, over aggresiveness, and lack of respect on the track has caused some turmoil in the RD racing club. Hence why the race will be reverse order to qualifying. At the start of the race on the S/F line straight each driver will be responsible for getting themselves in their reversed positions with the help of the instructors directions. The instructor will be on the sidelines with the correct order in hand and will call out where each person needs to be. Once the field is set the now new pole sitter will lead them off at a pace of 60-80km/h with a space of no less then 3 car lengths and not an unreasonable amount behind the car in front of you (similar to RDGTC). As the cars proceed out of the final corner that is when the race begins.

The idea behind reversing the order is to put the faster drivers behind the slower drivers for a fairly lengthy race. What this does in my mind is makes the faster drivers learn to pass cleanly, and remain patient. But also, the slower drivers have to keep focus as they are aware the faster drivers are coming and this will help them keep calm when being overtaken.

Its my opinion right now that not all the incidents of late in the RD club races are only the fault of the fast and impatient, but also of the slower drivers who are erratic while being overtaken. Hopefully this idea for an event can help solve that.

As this is simple a training exercise the winner of each event is everyone for participating. For if each is willing to learn and try new things, the knowledge gained will hopefully help you win a real racing event.

This is my proposal for an event, and I am 100% dedicated to making this work in anyway shape or form. I would gladly devote myself for these events to being an instructor, and would love to solicite the assistance of the legends of RD to also help out as driving instructors.

I am posting this now to get feedback and a show of interest from the club members who would participate in something like this. Any responses, questions, and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Keith Barrick

Just to keep some perspective on this topic, I feel I need to make one important point.

At Racedepartment, we have one overiding priority.
Clean and safe driving

So any training program supported here must meet two criteria:

1. Teach people how to drive cleanly and safely. (Racecraft, RD Rules, Situational awareness, patience)

2. Teach people to be faster. (Setups, driving lines, pedal controls).

These are in order of importance.

What da man said :good:

One note on format: it can easily be changed (and should be) if it doesn't work.
Think the overall concept of what is attempting to be done here is what is important ... main problems I see are, commitment, organisation, and keeping it fun rather than getting too "classroomy".

Only way to find out is set one up and see what happens :highfive:

What da man said :good:

One note on format: it can easily be changed (and should be) if it doesn't work.
Think the overall concept of what is attempting to be done here is what is important ... main problems I see are, commitment, organisation, and keeping it fun rather than getting too "classroomy".

Only way to find out is set one up and see what happens :highfive:

Organization will improve over time, as the admins and instructors find what works and what doesn't.

Keeping it fun will be harder. Students must not expect instructors to know all the answers, or that they will become Aliens after 1 or 2 lessons. Instructors need to remember that people learn and race at different speeds, so patience will be a prime quality for them.
Everyone also has to be extra polite during these sessions, and keep any gripes about someone else to themselves-no gossiping or sniping at people behind their backs please.

Commitment is probably the toughest one. Instructors are offering their time to do a very hard job. Can you stay the distance? This will be a 24 hr, not a sprint race.
Students have to listen and learn, not get frustrated after 10 minutes. Remember, the instructors are helping us voluntarily, we need to do our bit to make their job enjoyable, so we can all have fun.:victory:

Organization will improve over time, as the admins and instructors find what works and what doesn't.

Keeping it fun will be harder. Students must not expect instructors to know all the answers, or that they will become Aliens after 1 or 2 lessons. Instructors need to remember that people learn and race at different speeds, so patience will be a prime quality for them.
Everyone also has to be extra polite during these sessions, and keep any gripes about someone else to themselves-no gossiping or sniping at people behind their backs please.

Commitment is probably the toughest one. Instructors are offering their time to do a very hard job. Can you stay the distance? This will be a 24 hr, not a sprint race.
Students have to listen and learn, not get frustrated after 10 minutes. Remember, the instructors are helping us voluntarily, we need to do our bit to make their job enjoyable, so we can all have fun.:victory:

Well another reason this idea has come about is because I have actually done racing/driving instruction courses before in real life. I did this one day a week for roughly 6 months, and there was 2 courses per day, totaling 12 hours each event.

I myself am willing to commit, and dedicate the time to something like this, and would stay the course as long as it is ran.

If nothing comes of this, I would probably host one on my own time to anyone who was interested.

Thanks all for kind words and ideas, time will tell where this goes.

Keith

i'd be up for this.

i think my racecraft and awareness of others on track is pretty much spot on,as i'm sure warren and a few others will testify,but i could do with a few pointers on car set up,ideal braking points etc.

so,yes,very interested.

Dave

• Richard Birchall

I was Thinking (hurts :D) for Race's, especially through a full season is having Teams of 2 drivers. Rather than 1 driver Winning the season at the end, its a team effort.
Same car obviously :D But rather than 2 of the best drivers in the same team you would have 1 good driver and a rookie per team say for the club events?? My thought for the day :D

I was Thinking (hurts :D) for Race's, especially through a full season is having Teams of 2 drivers. Rather than 1 driver Winning the season at the end, its a team effort.
Same car obviously :D But rather than 2 of the best drivers in the same team you would have 1 good driver and a rookie per team say for the club events?? My thought for the day :D

i understand the idea Richard but its not a season in that sense. the basis of the event is to reduce to some extent the competetive edge which can get in the way of of people exhibiting good clean driving techniques. mixing the 2 is the art and generally around here is reserved for leagues. although club nights are competetive there is a limit to how far it goes for the enjoyment of everyone. more important for people to get over the line than to win, along with having a few nice battles along the way.

I am guessing teamspeak would be essential to this so anytime after christmas would be fine as santa is bringing me a headset (fingers crossed).

Team speak would play a big part in this as it would be key for keeping the organization running smoothly.

To Rok Prosen, Dave Gardner, pillowhead4000 thanks for the kind words.

As for Final word. I am more then willing to organize and run this with the asssistance of RD if they deem it to be a worthwhile event. Right now (XMAS/Holidays) It is a little hectic, so my thought is anything to become a WIP would have to be after the holidays.

Lets just keep the feedback coming, and see how many more interested parties there are. I think that after one event, the word would spread among friends and it will become a high demand event.

Keith

• Eric Soeters

I'm always eager to learn from the pro's... I find it hard to see that some of the guys are way faster than me. Although I think setup plays a big part in it...

RD is our community, so if their is enough call for something, the admins will have no problems putting up a server for this - about this I have no doubt.

I have no doubt about this Lee. However, it would be nice for an admin to give some comment, even a "don't worry guys, it's in hand for the new year. Just be patient while we sort it out" would be good mate.

For people like nyself who are constantly 3+ seconds slower even than the midfield runners, racing is frustrating, even boring when you're on your own because you can't keep up. Not knowing what it is you've got wrong just makes it worse: is it the setup? Or is it the lines you're driving? So you end up messing with the setup until it's really screwed, and brake sooooo late you're in the barrier every other corner.

That kind of racing makes you think of giving up, selling your wheel and going back to CoD4.

Sorry to be persistent guys, but please give us some feedback.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back