i9-9900k, Ryzen 9 3900X or..?

If you don't really need the fps, don't upgrade yet.
Two friends of mine had the 4790k.
One got into VR and wanted to stay above the crucial 90 fps at all times.
He overclocked his cpu to 4.9 GHz which was running pretty hot but still not really staying above 90 fps.

He then bought a 8700k and is very happy with it. Also runs at 4.9 GHz.

The other friend just wanted to have as high fps as he could with his 165 hz Asus gsync.
He got the 9600k and his fps are a lot higher than before.

But both CPUs only have 6 cores so might be not really future proof...
The 8700k isn't available anymore, with the 9600k you would lose 2 threads (gain 2 cores but you won't have hyperthreading..).
The 9700k is too expensive for what you would get and with the AMD CPUs you wouldn't really improve your single thread performance.

All in all I'd say wait for next gen. AMD might throw another punch at Intel and improve a lot or Intel might put out a nice upgrade due to the pressure from AMD.

I'd say next gen might be a very good time for upgrading. Right now it would only be a good upgrade if you'd really need the performance for something but it wouldn't be the "wow effect".

I'm still on my old i7 2600k that's running at 4.4 ghz for the same reasons. No VR, got a gsync monitor so the bad fps at starts etc don't really bother me.
When I upgrade I want to really feel the evolution.

That's exactly how I feel as well. My CHG90 is able to run GSync and I don't notice big issues at the start of races even when I drop to 60-80fps for that short period. Also, my 4790k & GTX 1070 is a pretty good matching pair. My only concern would be if I wanted to start streaming I would almost need to get an RTX card to have the NVENC benefits to take the load off my cpu. I went ahead and ordered a hyper 212 cooler and will try and bump my cpu up to 4.6-4.8GHz and and wait until next gen comes out before I upgrade my CPU.

I was interested in getting on track and driving...not sitting behind a PC tweaking clocks.

3900X - X570 - 3600 C14 and RTX2080 @1440p ...would not change a thing

Now though wait for next generations

Don't put too much into SSD either, you can get twice the space for same money with mid range drives

My 970 Evo plus @3.500mb/s ( in Crystal ... lol ) is ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT VS my Evo 860 @500 mb/s in loading running or copying/extracting sims archives

9900K +2080ti (or 3080ti) , you can't be wrong.
Oc+ 5ghz on all cores is a Ryzen killer.

5% in games ( certainly not all ) is a killer ? :O_o:

On average the 3900X was 6% slower than the 9900K when gaming. Results where the margin was less than 5%, you can deem those a draw considering the margin of error and that 1% lows are within the same distance. In terms of frame rates, for very low FPS (certainly not the case at 1080p with a 2080 Ti), 30 to 32 fps is a 7% increase, for example. Then at extreme high frame rates, a 5% increase is going from 200 to 210 fps, which is not a margin worth getting too excited over.

In other words if you use 4K or greater the margin is peanuts

Most people don't need the extra 5% , I leave my 3900X @ 4.2GHz
I even do encoding on my 3200G is quicker then my 8700 was

Sure if you struggling for every last fps to reach some magical figure get a 9900K

Also remember Ryzen 3 are still improving ... bios and chipset

I guess we all know that Intel must be a killer in sims as none have ever been tested :whistling:

Last edited:
5% in games ( certainly not all ) is a killer ? :O_o:

In other words if you use 4K or greater the margin is peanuts

Most people don't need the extra 5% , I leave my 3900X @ 4.2GHz
I even do encoding on my 3200G is quicker then my 8700 was

Sure if you struggling for every last fps to reach some magical figure get a 9900K

Also remember Ryzen 3 are still improving ... bios and chipset

I guess we all know that Intel must be a killer in sims as none have ever been tested :whistling:
it's 10% or more in many games...
I add that the 2080ti was +50% more expensive than the 1080ti, for +25% performance.
You understand that 1% more perf is expensive.

If you have the money, i9 9900K+ AiO Corsair + 2080ti.
If i have the money, no way AMD....

Last edited:
Sure if you can afford the choice is obvious, I doubt anyone would argue
However if that is the case why not wait for next gen which is what I said

Isn't 10% overclocked ?

As soon as you want 5GHz all cores, and yes AMD is no different you outlay more for motherboard, memory, cooling , PSU ....so yes I understand bang for buck drops

Yes for gaming only, racing simulations are the priority

Really needs someone with both to test all simulations
Till we know that it's pure guess work, some games AMD is faster, who says that does not apply to sims ? ;)

One thing I notice some others mentioned is the smoothness I get with 3900X in sims but again I can't compare to 9th Gen, only 8700 down and every Intel I owned never felt as smooth but this could be placebo effect or too much coffee :coffee: p

I don't know how big the performance gap would be between a stock 9900K and 3800X but the price difference in the UK is a massive £200. £514 vs £314 - that's 32gb of ram@3600 AND a couple of case fans. The 9900K might be faster but not £200 faster, not a chance.

German mindfactory:
9600kf = 199€
9700k/kf = 395€
9900k = 523€

For simracing you might gain 5% between each of them, if at all (same slightly beyond 5 ghz oc of course and not the artificial default restrictions on the i7 and i5).
And the next i5 will probably be 5% above the 9900k for simracing...
Double the price for 2 cores. Don't really know what Intel is trying to do with this pricing...

If next gen ryzen can finally reach the same single thread performance while being loaded on 2-3 cores, I'll upgrade!

If i had the AMD motherboard, of course no need to change to Intel, and If you had INTEL no need to change for AMD.
If you want a new config, and you want to save money, AMD is the best choice.
If you want the top even it's only 5%, you have to buy the i9.

why not wait for the Core i9-10990XE with 22 cores :) ? +150% better....

about sim racing, ACC, pCars 2, and the new AMS 2 are heavilly CPU demanding.....the old DX9 which needs the fastest single core from raceroom is outdated.

Last edited:
If i had the AMD motherboard, of course no need to change to Intel, and If you had INTEL no need to change for AMD.
If you want a new config, and you want to save money, AMD is the best choice.
If you want the top even it's only 5%, you have to buy the i9.

why not wait for the Core i9-10990XE with 22 cores :) ? +150% better....

about sim racing, ACC, pCars 2, and the new AMS 2 are heavilly CPU demanding.....the old DX9 which needs the fastest single core from raceroom is outdated.

Yeah I really see that acc is heavily CPU core demanding...
So outdated that everything more than 4 cores is the same/can be classified as measuring fluctuations.

And with ht on the CPU performance becomes worse...

For pcars 2, sadly a bit old:

There's a difference going from 4 cores to 6 cores but 4 cores with ht is worse than only 4 cores. Sadly they didn't test 6 cores without ht.
The difference between 6c/12t and 8c/16t looks like margin of error again.
Anyway it seems that ht is worse for simracing so the 9700k might be better suited for acc and pcars 2 than the 9900k.

Ams2 is the same engine as pcars2 so just another Sim that won't need more than 6 cores.

And my point wasn't about waiting and waiting. It was about that you can buy more than 2 9600k for a 9900k so if you want the maximum fps for simracing, just upgrade more often with the cheaper cpu.

Well, for those saying AMD wont be any good for sim racing...Just did a test run on a customer build, R5 3600 and a 5700XT. ACC, all settings on Epic.....running over 140fps on 1080p.....should do the trick :roflmao:

Well, for those saying AMD wont be any good for sim racing...Just did a test run on a customer build, R5 3600 and a 5700XT. ACC, all settings on Epic.....running over 140fps on 1080p.....should do the trick :roflmao:
They aren't bad, just not the best. The 3xxx ryzen are very close, the older ones are definitely lacking.

Throw some vr and a full ai grid in AC1 or rF2 at it and you might struggle to keep it running without asw kicking in.

Also the graphics settings in acc barely hit the CPU. Nobody said the 5700xt wouldn't be superb for its price :)

I have idle (except for downloading steam games) temps of 3700x about 65c, wtf :O_o:
What cooler and TIM?
This is my temperature with a slightly modified Hyper 212+ cooler
Verify your cooler is sitting flat on the die.
IDLE.JPG

Last edited:
What cooler and TIM?
This is my temperature with a slightly modified Hyper 212+ cooler
Verify your cooler is sitting flat on the die.

Stock cooler and paste for now. I have noctua nh-d15 from the old setup but I'm waiting for the am4 adapter to arrive.

When gaming it got to 78c max, maybe it's ok until I can put the noctua on.

E: Now sitting at 45-50c idle without downloads on

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back