GT5 I took a chance and bought a used PS3 slim......

And now the fan is not working and system freezes. I should of just bought a new one,it not like i didn't have the extra money for a new one i simply made a wrong choice :mad:. My first bad experience in buying used consoles! Never again. i'll see about replacing it soon.

If it's old, out of warranty, and there's no chance of a repair or replacement from whoever you bought it from, then why not crack it open and take a look inside? If the only issue is that fan is broken and its overheating causing the freezes, then I'm sure you can fix it yourself. Chances are you can get a replacement fan somewhere, and even if it's not an 'official' one you can probably replace it with a PC cooling fan instead. Better to try that than just give up and lose your money.

As an aside though, I would never buy a second-hand console even if I were desperate. It's one of those products that just isn't worth it because you can never tell how much it has been used and abused. The same goes for racing wheels and various other things.

At this time i'm concerned about just getting my GT5 out of the unit for it won't eject for the short amount of time it powers up. Time to take it apart. I'm thinking about just getting a new one, Future Shop every other week drops price down from $249 to $219. My girlfriend got me a gift card from there for my BDay worth $400 towards a new laptop that i want. I'm thinking about which i want more, A HP Pavillion 17.3inch DV7 or another PS3?. No warranty on PS3 btw .I was going to break it apart yesterday because i was so mad, but my gf stopped me on that:D . I'll take it apart for now, try and get game out and go from there. oh yeh i also wouldn't mind getting a 60 inch Plasma tv for the living room so i'm sort of suck on what i want to do.

Don't know if this is too late, but here is some instruction on getting a disk out manually from a PS3 slim.
Judicious cut and paste from the EU playstation forum follows...

The process of manually ejecting stuck disks from the new G-chassis, 120GB PS3 console.

The new PS3 120GB console houses a feature which will allow users to manually eject disks that have become stuck due to power failures, faulty drives etc. This new feature should eliminate stuck disk issues and can be executed as below:

Before attempting this procedure, please ensure that the system has been turned off and the power cord been removed.

1)
With the front of the console facing towards you, carefully turn the console over so that the reverse side is now facing upwards. Locate the HDD screw cover

2)
Lift and remove the HDD screw cover and insert a cross headed screwdriver into the location on the right.
The screw on the left holds the HDD in place. This should not be opened if attempting to eject a disk.

3) Once the corresponding groove is found, turn the screwdriver anti-clockwise (see below) to begin the release mechanism. The disk will slowly be ejected:

4) Remove the disk and replace the HDD screw cover.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%