F1 2010 i-racing down shift v f1 2010 downshift

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I noticed that the williams in i-racing doesnt allow you to downshift really quickly like you can in f1.

Its as though you can only downshift once you have reduced to a speed that wont damage the gear box.

Maybe Im missing a setting in i-racing to disable this?

Does anyone know if a real f1 car has this feature and if yes are there any plans to implement something like this in f1 2011.

I know in richard burns rally there's something like shift protection and if you enable it you cant downshift before the RPM is low enough. But I dont think that's realistic in F1, just register and look at onboard laps @ F1.com and for example look at Hamilton downshifting in china the 2nd from last turn and he downshift from 7th to 1st gear in like 1-2secs :)

As long their downshift doesn't make the RPM exceed 16k RPM.

Even when they can, they wont do so. Because gearbox failure = DNF. :)

If you watched enough onboard video, you notice the driver dont rev as much as wheelchair racer. :D

To us, at most the engine just overheat and wear faster.

To them = DNF if anything goes wrong with the engine by over-revving.

I feel that in f1 2010 its only really possible to get a good lap time if you pull off ridiculous downshifts at certain corners.

On a couple of corners at SPA I`m not even touching the brakes as Im using the downshifting of the gearbox to slow the car.

Some people have learned to exploit this feature of the game to their advantage, and I think many people who havent have the tendancy to come on here and cry "cheat".

Im sure I read somewhere that this is maybe going to be addressed in 2011.

I dont really have a problem with it either way to be honest

Are you saying engine braking isn't realistic, or that F1 2010 makes it produce more deceleration than is feasible? I don't see how it could be exploited unless it was unrealistically modeled, since engine braking is a valid real-world technique for dropping speed.

I think that the real world (Moto GP Bikes for sure F1 cars most probably) have a "Slipper Clutch"
It will allow slippage if the engine braking is so stong (-over rev) that it will either lock up rears or over rev or both.

Im saying that on certain corners i bang it down through the gear box as fast as is humanly possible, using the gearbox to slow the car in a way that no real f1 driver would ever attempt.

Because of engine wear and 'fear factor' though? Because we do plenty of things in-game that while feasible would cause undue stress on an engine that has to last 2+ race weekends IRL, and nobody reacts the same to risk when they're in a real car, racing or not - even military UAV pilots experience a sense of detachment that can't be shaken.

Although guys lets not forget that the rear axle can only handle so much retardation B4 losing traction and locking up. Its already dealing with KERS harvest which creates extra retardation and teams have to already adjust brake balance fwd to deal with this factor. There is a fwd weight transfer under heavy braking and the rears are already getting light and on their limits. Their available traction is a finite thing and good brake bias setup should be at that limit. I'm starting to become convinced that the Mega fast downshifts possible in-game are because of a coding error that wheel lock up will only be caused in-game by brakes. The F1 Brakes have huge power and can lock up all 4 wheels easily, there is in my view little need (in real F1) to create engine wear by using a very peaky (uneven) and transient form of rear wheel only retardation when there are two already (Brakes and KERS harvest).
Pehaps Codies worked out that in Manual transmision many of us would be spinning into the weeds to often under braking/downshifting.

The whole KERS deal is going to be something I'll be looking to see Codies get right in 2011; if they completely ignore the variable harvest settings and their effects on brake balance it'll be a crying shame. It's already at the stage in 2010 where I tend to leave my brake balance at 50/50 simply because bias doesn't apply to every corner on the track in same way, and it isn't worth the inconsistent response. A click or two forward helps with some situations, but about the best use I have for rear bias is on tracks like Interlagos with many downhill braking zones - rear bias seems to help a lot there, but again it always compromises some other sector in terms of braking distance.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%