i Racing A.I. game

I remember seeing a post, pretty sure from RD, saying IRacing was coming out with a Offline a.i. game, much like Race Room, buy cars & tracks, wondering if this is true & when it's being released. Sounds like something I would be interested in. Thanks for any replys !!!!!!

It won't be a standalone game, they are just adding AI to their service. It should come out in 2019 with one of the quarterly releases :thumbsup:

Edit: Because of the nature of iRacing, this will very like still require you to have an Internet connection while racing/setting up the session

Never had iracing, but I thought their game was online only, so if that's true, why would you need a.i. instead of real people?

Several reasons.....
-Adding more features to the.
-For those like myself......My routine is practice and tune during the first half of the week than race on weekends to maximize participation as the grids are larger.
You could speed the tuning process up by setting up test session with ai to judge and tweak your setup.
--bring life to old content
- small private clubs can fill the grid with ai
--if you don't feel like racing humans you can set up your own race however you want :)

By the sounds of things the ai "should" make it into the title for the March build according to the high ups.

https://www.bsimracing.com/iracing-tony-gardner-talks-new-december-2018-build-update/

My opinion, I think iracing is missing out on an extra money maker. Probably most Sim racers race off line only, like myself. If they'd come out with an off line game, like Race Room, the'd be making more money with people like myself buying cars & tracks.i'd buy into it. No desire to race on line, Not good enough, to old, plus if I accidentally run into an a.i. car, I don't hear anyone bitching about my driving. Lol. Just my opinion !!!!

Personally, if my plan was to only race offline against ai I wouldn't even consider iracing.
I just can't see too many new comers flocking to an offline mode and paying $25 for a single combo.

Why spend all that cash when you could pick up a game like AMS or RF2 for less than $10
And race ai till your hearts content.
Raceroom would also be another cheaper alternative to.

Don't get me wrong I am sure the iracing community would love to take your offline money to help further fund the online development :)

FYI: Raceroom is always online as well and if there servers go tits up you can't access the game, but I understand what you mean.

Last edited:
main reason given by developers was, they need ai for conferences and events trackside, so people can for example hop into a quick game with 30odd ai at daytona at the iRacing booth during the daytona 24h. that's what was missing and that's why they do the ai.
as was said above, for the average player it will not make much sense, the base content in iRacing is fine but hardly breathtaking and buying/renting new stuff for about 12 euros one piece is hardly appetizing either. the iRacing guys - like me - pay the money to do online racing, fullstop.
just finished a great gt3 race at monza, lowest grid of seven, each grid consisting of 30 players, the amount of players is still unbeaten by a long long shot. even an ultra-slow chap like me gets gridded with chaps in a range of +1.5 to -2 secs off my time, so really close competition. finished the 40 min session with never a player making a stupid move on me but with a couple of nice, intense, fair fights. lowest grid is actually quite clean because most of us there know how dumb we are, lol. in the middle grids people overestimate their skills and - blam!

No desire to race on line, Not good enough, to old, plus if I accidentally run into an a.i. car, I don't hear anyone bitching about my driving. Lol. Just my opinion !!!!
i shall yet make thee a believer: i am the slowest chap out there but have been racing online for over twelve years now, first in Live For Speed where the atmosphere online was usually relaxed and people did not bitch too much if you accidentally whacked them, then league racing here at rd from the day it was started and these last seven years at iRacing. best money i ever spent on racing games. as i said above: in the populated series even slow guys will find a grid of like-minded and equally sparsely talented competitors and about 85% of the races i cannot complain about rude or stupid behaviour.
try out a one or three month trial period and see how you like it. for me, playing against ai has become so sterile compared to racing real life competitors that i only ever do it in rally games or if i fancy picking a car/track combo that iRacing cannot offer me, so about once a month in RRE.
oh, yes, and i never use a headset, so the bitching - if it ever occurs, can't remember an incident in 2018, for instance - is just on type chat, far less hurtful than a real voice.

i shall yet make thee a believer: i am the slowest chap out there but have been racing online for over twelve years now, first in Live For Speed where the atmosphere online was usually relaxed and people did not bitch too much if you accidentally whacked them, then league racing here at rd from the day it was started and these last seven years at iRacing. best money i ever spent on racing games. as i said above: in the populated series even slow guys will find a grid of like-minded and equally sparsely talented competitors and about 85% of the races i cannot complain about rude or stupid behaviour.
try out a one or three month trial period and see how you like it. for me, playing against ai has become so sterile compared to racing real life competitors that i only ever do it in rally games or if i fancy picking a car/track combo that iRacing cannot offer me, so about once a month in RRE.
oh, yes, and i never use a headset, so the bitching - if it ever occurs, can't remember an incident in 2018, for instance - is just on type chat, far less hurtful than a real voice.

I dunno why I quoted your post as it was the one before where you hit the nail on the head, when you're slowish you'll have the best races it's only when you practice, put efforts in to "hit gud" that the annoyance sneaks in. Its epic fun with some awesome moments!

I ended my iRacing 5+ years membership in 2018 :)
Mainly because I became fed up with iRacings lousy abrupt on/off grip tire model.:rolleyes:
But I agree with Glans comment that "playing against ai has become so sterile..."
But I have much fun reading as example Raceroom users who describe their "races" against AI - just like the AI drivers was human beings.
Because using Raceroom myself its very easy to recognize that there are not much "Intelligence" in the AI cars.
And because this AI situation is the same in other racing games too(IMO) I dont think iRacings announced AI cars will change that.:D

My opinion, I think iracing is missing out on an extra money maker. Probably most Sim racers race off line only, like myself. If they'd come out with an off line game, like Race Room, the'd be making more money with people like myself buying cars & tracks.i'd buy into it. No desire to race on line, Not good enough, to old, plus if I accidentally run into an a.i. car, I don't hear anyone bitching about my driving. Lol. Just my opinion !!!!

If you only want iracing for offline races against AI, IMO you are wasting your time and a lot of money. Last season was my first full season and I purchased over 40 pieces of content at $12 a car and $15 a track minus multi purchase discount. To date I've spent over £300 on subscriptions and content to be able to run in different championships. iracing isn't another racing sim like the others, for a start if I don't keep up the subscription I lose all access to all the content I have purchased. When the servers go down for maintenance you can't access your content. iracing is for people who want the most serious online racing experience, it's not for messing about with computer controlled cars. If I just want to set up an offline race against AI I use AC, R3E or rfactor2. Which as someone who isn't very fast is more than enough to satiate my racing needs.

This season I haven't turned a wheel in an online race in iracing as I'm getting sick of trying to maintain a decent irating due to the worst tyre model in sim racing. If all you want is offline AI racing I'd advise Project Cars 2 over iracing and that is as damning a reflection on iracing as I can give.

If you really want to try iracing for the first time. Save yourself some money and use the promo code for new members on Matt Mallones Twitch channel. You won't be any worse than the majority of rookies you will be racing against.

https://www.twitch.tv/mattmalone

I'm getting sick of trying to maintain a decent irating due to the worst tyre model in sim racing.
Just a comment of this irating thing - and the constant irritation of loosing it by getting rearended and divebombed too often.
I have been advocating some code/SW solution where the game should be able to punish the most obvious idiotic and braindead behaviour by maniacs using other cars as targets.
But have realised that if such algoritms was inserted then probably a lot of other issues would be introduced.
Because such an algoritm had to be veeery clever to destinguish between intentionally wrecking and unintentionally.;);)

Well I'm looking forward to AI for the reason that if u want short sprint races then it will be online to keep up participation for my iracing credits, then on the weekend I'll be able to setup my own endurance race which is my preferred racing. I own all the other sims but iracing works the best for me in regards to FFB, VR,
and looks, just hope the AI is good.

Well I'm looking forward to AI for the reason that if u want short sprint races then it will be online to keep up participation for my iracing credits, then on the weekend I'll be able to setup my own endurance race which is my preferred racing. I own all the other sims but iracing works the best for me in regards to FFB, VR,
and looks, just hope the AI is good.

I could be mistaken or misread your post :p......but I don't think iracing will be adding ai to the official online servers to help populate low numbers nor will you get participation credits for racing against ai.

My understanding last I heard is ai will only be available in test mode and private sessions.

Could you imagine the uproar of safety rating and ruined races due to ai :)

good plan ozzy, really convincing argument for introduction of ai, it gives you endurance racing without having to join a team and setting up communication with the team etc. makes sense.
for me, doing nascar races against ai will be fun, the guys who are on the online servers are all so much better than me and i miss my nascar4 days. hope one will be able to save games mid-race, but i bet this won't be possible. i loved to do full 500 miles distances in six or eight little bits each evening.

.but I don't think iracing will be adding ai to the official online servers to help populate low numbers nor will you get participation credits for racing against ai.
My understanding last I heard is ai will only be available in test mode and private sessions.
Could you imagine the uproar of safety rating and ruined races due to ai :)
You are correct.:D
I think it was iRacings Steve Myers who garanteed people that AI will never be introduced in online races.
Hehe but to the contrary I consider even a modest AI driver to be a more consistent opponent than a lot of human iRacing drivers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: As NR2003 is still hidden inside iRacing its interesting to know that in good old NR2003 you could add AIs to online races.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 379 39.6%