I.O.M TT 2014

You have to crawl into a racers brain to get any understanding of why they keep attending these races. They don't earn any $$ for it, and they know that any race can be their last. They average 2 deaths a year and with the passing of Karl Harris and Bob Price they are already on the usual average. R.I.P both.

However I don't feel any sorry with them, they do what they love to do the most and they know that every race can be their last.

You should read this to get a better understanding of their thinking.

http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=372615

Whilst I put the race in doubt at the same time I love watching these daredevils racing trough these tiny mountain roads. They do what they love to do the most and unfortunately road racing its a dangerous sport in which riders die (not just the TT alone). However I can name a lot more sports daredevil stuff in which daily people die, should we all ban that as well?

Oh, I feel that was partly a response to me.

And to clarify, I don't want to see these events go, I don't even want them sanitized, they need to live. They are awesome.

Nevertheless, when two have died, even if it is the average, it hasn't been "great" so far. It's been good, but a tiny bit sad, or something along these lines ;)

Oy my comment was actually a bit meant as in general because these doubts are raised every year. If you even look at the fatalities, the last year that they didn't had a fatality during the whole event was back in 2002 or 2003 or something. Hence they even had years in which 7/8/9 people died.

On the other hand you have to put things in perspective as well I think even though its a dangerous event it contains what? ~ 10 races or so with their practice sessions with between 50 to 70 drivers contesting in different classes bikes, sidecars on a 37 mile track. So yeah chance that something happens in these 2 weeks is also a lot higher then in a normal event with one race over a 300km distance. If you get what I mean, doesn't take away that it is a dangerous track though. But the road racing just itself is also a dangerous event if you look on what type of courses they race.

Looking at it that way it is perhaps indeed not that great. I actually have no idea on how to value this event really, everyone has his own opinion about it. I can see that you think that it is not great if you have a few fatalities every year, but in some kind of way everyone over there and living in that road racing world just accepts it.

However I just watched the 132.3 mph onboard lap from Bruce Anstey, and whilst watching that I know that guy is in full control of the bike even though it looks so volatile yet at the same times it makes you wonder how incredible idiotic it is that they can manage these speeds and lines trough this whole course. Crazy people really.

Last edited:
While Isle of Man is an awesome thing, and I hope it'll last for decades. I feel 'great' is an overstatement, seeing there has been two fatalities already.
I obviously was not rejoicing in the fact two people have died, i don't know why you thought that was what i was referring to when i used the term 'great'. I was talking purely from the racing perspective unfortunately as Mark has already stated, death or the risk of goes with the territory of road racing. It was in the context of John McGuinness not winning every race and some decent battles on track.

And yes i totally agree Mark, Guy Martin needs to ditch Tyco Suzuki if he ever wants to win a T.T race.

However I just watched the 132.3 mph onboard lap from Bruce Anstey, and whilst watching that I know that guy is in full control of the bike even though it looks so volatile yet at the same times it makes you wonder how incredible idiotic it is that they can manage these speeds and lines trough this whole course. Crazy people really.

The lap record from Anstey was actually far from a clean lap. He was held up by one or two backmarkers on occasions and completely messed up a certain corner by outbraking himself, probably losing 2-3 seconds. So perhaps he could have even gotten close to 133 mph?

The lap record from Anstey was actually far from a clean lap. He was held up by one or two backmarkers on occasions and completely messed up a certain corner by outbraking himself, probably losing 2-3 seconds. So perhaps he could have even gotten close to 133 mph?

Yes i know, he was a bit raggid in places you could tell he was realy pushing the bike. And comming down from the mountain he indeed had a big mistake barely keeping the bike out of the barriers. 133s are definatly in reach if everything fits togheter that is.

I could write a thesis about how good the TT is, or road racing in general. No other motorsport gets close to it in terms of commitment, risk and excitement for me personally. Yes it's very sad about the two guys who died over the last few days and lets not forget Simon Andrews who passed away a few weeks ago due to a crash in the Northwest 200. But overall the TT has been just incredible, and pretty much every year it's the same.

Michael Dunlop has been amazing, and the race yesterday showed that he has matured as he sat behind Anstey for most of the race and didn't take any unnecessary risks - really commendable. Really feel for John McGuinness with his wrist injury, otherwise I'm sure he'd be giving Dunlop a closer run for his money in most of the races. Also, it still looks like Guy wont be winning his first TT anytime soon, something which I'd absolutely love to happen. He's one of my favourite sportsmen and I've not seen a better character than him in all my life pretty much, which says a lot. What an absolute legend!

SES TT Zero, for electric bikes (Source)

2.jpg

Winner lap and new lap record for TT Zero from John McGuiness:

Yeah wish there was just a bit more competition in that class.

MD just set new lap record in the TT senior race with pit in still a 131,6 :cool:
Big kuddo's for newcomer Peter Hickman setting a new laprecord for newcomers at 129.2:confused:

Last edited:
Nice to see McGuinness finally have something to cheer about winning the TT zero. And the Senior race was pretty amazing.. just watched the highlights there. Really glad that William Dunlop is okay after that crash. He still has a broken leg but around here it could so easily have been much worse.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.8%