I need some GPU schooling, 3080 ti , still running at 100%

I have tried to research, and experiment, but mostly just confused myself more. Thought I had lucked out when I got an RTX 3080 ti from Newegg Shuffle. Had been using an RTX 2070 Super.

Running triple 32” 2K monitors, figured with this card I’ll be running very high fps. Well, an improvement for certain, but nothing spectacular.

With the 2070 in ACC, global video settings on mid, resolution at 85%, was getting mid to low 70’s fps., GPU running at 100%

New card, global video setting on high, getting high 80’s, pushing up to low 90’s fps, GPU usage 100%.

Have been using MSI Afterburner, but still learning how to interpret all the information it can collect.

On Screen Display “LIM”, displays “power”. Occasionally also displays “voltage”, but that will go away, and it will only display LIM Power.
  1. Is this telling me my card is limited because it is not getting enough power?
  2. I’m completely lost here, if my GPU is running at 100%, how can adding more power help? 100% is as much as anything can do, is it not?
Experimenting with AC and ACC, manually limiting frame rate. In AC if I limit it to 170 fps, GPU usage drops to approximately 95%. Setting no limit to fps, frame rate jumps to over 200 fps, and GPU usage goes to 100%. What the heck, is fps unlimited? If I had a more powerful GPU, it would still run up to 100%, and keep increasing fps?

Ditto ACC, limit fps to 80, and GPU usage will drop below 100%. With no fps limit, GPU ramps to 100%, and I gain a little in fps.

I7-11700K
RTX 3080 ti
850W EVGA PSU - Did not have any of the original packaging for the PSU, so had to buy after market VGA cables. Using one EVGA cable that was connected to the 2070, two after market, so each power plug on GPU has a dedicated cable.

Using some online PSU calculator, it calculated I should need 650W PSU.

I know ACC is a resource hog, especially with triple monitors, but man, for the money that new GPU cost, I was expecting a huge jump, and in reading before the purchase, performance gains were said to be big.

I obviously do not understand how GPU’s work!

Thanks to anyone with some patience

your GPU isnt being 100% used when you're limiting it because you're not trying to get to its max. i suggest limiting the FPS to whatever the limit is for your monitors to save power and to not turn it into a heater for your room. get a more powerful power supply, download the GPU drivers, and optionally overclock it if the power supply you get can handle it. https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx GPU driver
For the afterburner just look up a youtube video on how to overclock a 3080TI correctly

using a driver basically just make your GPU run way better. DOUBLE CHECK YOU USE THE CORRECT DRIVER. i once downloaded the wrong driver for a CPU and it killed my computer, it will kill your gaming experience if you download the wrong GPU driver. The driver is the equivalent of swapping a V4 engine to a very efficient V8

limiting your GPUs FPS to the FPS of your monitor/monitors is the equivalent of keeping the GPU in 3rd gear on a road, you'll still be getting to where you need to while using less fuel going slowly but it's not the fastest.

no limiter is the equivalent of a supercharged car going from 1st-3rd, it will get there very fast, great response time, but you wont notice any difference due to your monitor

overclocking is like having a supercharged car with NOS on hand in 3rd gear. incredibly fast response time, but you have low MPG and it's usually over kill

Last edited:
Well, that was quite an experience.

I had already updated driver, but went to Nvidia page and downloaded one that was stated as being version 471.41 "game ready". Installed it along with some additional software - don't remember offhand what is was called - opened ACC from that Application, which was supposed to "optimize" my graphics for said game. What a joke. Did boost my fps to close to 150, but display was all jagged, truly awful.

Restored system to point before installation, and tried again to install this 471.41 version, this time without the additional piece of "optimizing" software. Installer does it's thing, prompt me to restart, I check the driver version in Device Manager, and it is the same as it was before the installation! And no difference in performance.

I suppose I should be happy Nvidia is trying to offer updated drivers, but for me it was a giant fail.

OK - done with my rant :)

A graphics card will always show a -nearly- 100% usage, because that's what a graphics card does. 100% usage doesn't mean there is no room left for more computing power. It's just a hardware state. You could probably get near 100% usage while playing Tetris on ultra settings.

Edit: Don't worry about your PSU, it's fine! With your config you have plenty of watt's left. You could use a 3090 with ease with that 850watt supply. Especially if it's Gold or Platinum.

Last edited:
So much only half-correct or plain wrong information in here...

- a driver can't kill anything. A wrong driver simply won't do anything, since it's not fitting the hardware ID (like installing an amd driver for Nvidia GPUs). And if you don't have a fitting driver at all, windows will either download some drivers or use the plug and play standard driver with 60 hz and crappy resolution.

- a driver can give you more performance but as long as your driver is newer than the game you're running, it will be fine.
Gains aren't much anyway as long as the newer game isn't using anything really special.
With the 30xx cards however, Nvidia let the cards fluctuate their clock speeds very aggressively and some PSUs did shut off from the spikes.
This shouldn't happen with any 850W psu though!!!

- 850w are plenty enough!

- question: you're talking about some extension cables? Can you explain this a bit better? Did you just lost the original cables from the psu or is the psu so old that it doesn't have the fitting cables normally?
This could be crucial...

- the load you see is a bit tricky. It scales with the clock speed.
Like in desktop mode the cards only run at 200-1000 mhz and at 200 mhz, playing a YouTube video will cause maybe 70% load.
But when your card goes into 3D mode at 1800 mhz, it will only be like 3% load.
So the load is only interesting at full 3D mode clock speed! (1700-2100 mhz for 30xx cards).

- when a card gets close to 100%, it will try to boost higher though. Like when a video playback would cause 99% gpu load at 200 mhz, the card would go into 3D mode and the load would drop.

- limit: power means that your card is trying to clock higher but it is already taking maximum power. This maximum power is set in the vBios of your gpu. You can raise it within a small range via msi afterburner but not by much. (And it doesn't hurt your card, that's why there's the limit in the vBios!)

- power limit: I'm not sure what would happen if your PSU doesn't have enough watts but I'm very sure that it would shut off instead of limiting the power delivery to your graphics card! Tests with a 3090 and 650w PSUs showed that.
So lim = power means you have enough psu power but your card can't take more

- with 30xx gpus, this is totally normal. They all run into the power limit. It's just how they are built! A little issue with this is that when the card hits the power limit, the clock speeds are reduced. As soon as you drop below the power limit, the card will boost up again.
Remember what I said about the power spikes with early drivers? Nvidia tamed this behavior a little bit with newer drivers!

- jaggy visuals: well, you installed geforce experience and probably overread the "adjust game settings for optimum performance" part.
The settings that Nvidia thinks would be best are often bad. This happened to you. It simply lowered your graphics settings.

This has nothing to do with the newer driver. You just need to uncheck this awful game optimization in geforce experience. Or set your settings back to how they were before the update.

- underwhelming performance in comparison to your 2070:
Well, you raised the graphic settings in the game, raised the resolution by 15% and got 15-20% more fps.
Did you look at tests about how much performance gains you could expect?
I'd say it makes sense and isn't underwhelming. It's only one generation.

It's like buying a new car with 150 horse power instead of 90 HP but then it's an suv instead of a hatchback and you take 4 people with you (raising settings and resolution scale).
So it almost feels like having a weaker engine than before.

Anyway:
I would always recommend to limit your fps at the point where your gpu load drops to about 90%.
This keeps the card definitely in 3D mode so the 90% are accurate, not like with the YouTube video load in 2D mode!
This way you won't have the spiking from the power limit and you also keep some headroom for more demanding moments where you will need 100% load.

Then there is undervolting, which can give you higher average fps.
You lower the voltage and the clock speed to a "sweetspot".
Nvidia makes sure that the card runs stable but you always have some headroom and the card can run on lower voltage.
This way it will take less power, not fluctuate due to the power limit, which stabilizes performance and in theory, it can clock higher until the power limit is reached again.

Here's the setting in Geforce Experience:

photo_2021-08-09_19-48-29.jpg

And here's a testing result for performance:

3080 TI: 100 fps
2070: 56 fps
2070 super: 64 fps

Let's say the increased settings take 20% more performance plus the 15% resolution scale:
100 fps - 20% = 80 fps. -> 85fps - 15% = 68 fps

Maybe the increased graphic settings take more performance than 20%. But your fps do make sense I'd say.

You could try to put all settings like they were with the 2070 and then see if it's scaling correctly.

Last edited:
What RasmusP said.

It would also be good to know what the refresh rate of the monitors are that you're using are. The refresh rate is what determines the maximum possible number of frames you can display per second, regardless of what the video card is capable of churning out. Which 32" monitors are you running?

What a joke. Did boost my fps to close to 150, but display was all jagged, truly awful.
Reason is that a new driver resets everything so you lose any changes in NVCP or Nvidia Inspector you have made

Do inspector profile for every sim you run, then export them to save for next fresh driver

Just took a quick and dirty screen grab of Dan Suzuki's 3080 3090 review benchmark in ACC using high preset (as he said Epic is too high to be playable for even a 3090 at triple 1440p) Epic was something like 45fps on a 3090 lol!

A 3080ti should be around a 3090 just shy of it, so 80 fps on High preset on triple 1440p is about right.

Again aligns with what Rasmus said above.

I'd lower the settings to get higher FPS, surely you'll get well over 100fps on medium, or tune them to your preference?
1440p triples are very demanding in this game. 11million pixels which is 3 million more than 4k.

1637074975692.png

This game seriously needs optimising though surely? The answer can't be a $3-4k 700w gpu...

1. Get the new driver released today (I think). Has DLSS support for ACC.

2. Quick tutorials on how to OC your GPU with Afterburner/X1/etc.

Last edited:
1. Get the new driver released today (I think). Has DLSS support for ACC
Interesting. DLSS needs to be applied via the game software and cannot be applied via a driver. If the driver notes state that then the game must be updated. They must have paid the Nvidia tax. Pretty big news.

Kunos has to enable DLSS in the game correct? Has that happened?

The driver notes on the driver released just now do say exactly this. The game needs to be updated though as the driver just optimises support for the game. Checking it out now...

BTW if you don’t have an RTX gpu the other way you can apply scaling is to use the lossless scaling tool (on steam) where you set the game to a window lower resolution to your game and apply the tool to scale up to the monitor full screen. It’s paid for however. 5 quid I think.

It was recently updated with AMD FSR scaler, (competitor to DLSS) which can be used on Nvidia or AMD gpus 10 series and not sure how far back AMD. It’s open source I.e free for developers to adopt. I’ve had mixed results in various games scaling to 4K on my 6900xt, but its pretty good going from 1440p to 4k actually, but not used it for sims at all yet but might be worth exploring especially here.

I’m getting a triple 1440p Samsung g7 setup soon so might put some effort into seeing if it works or not when I get them. First though. I have both a 3090 and a 6900xt to play around with.

Yeah unless I've missed something the ACC update with DLSS has not been released to the public yet. It's just the driver is ready for its release "this month". Should make a big difference. Does make me wonder if it works with triples or not though...
I do suggest others on Radeon or pre RTX gpus look at the lossless scaling tool which as I said the full version has AMD FSR built in now.

What RasmusP said.

It would also be good to know what the refresh rate of the monitors are that you're using are. The refresh rate is what determines the maximum possible number of frames you can display per second, regardless of what the video card is capable of churning out. Which 32" monitors are you running?
Sorry - thought I was getting notification on this thread :(

Dell gaming monitor, 165 Hz refresh rate.

Sounds like I am getting good performance from this card. I am happier with it now that I have used it for a while.

Apparently my expectations were too high. I did get a nice boost, but it certainly cost a lot of $ to get that boost!

Thanks for your reply.

Update due November 24th according to this Steam news bulletin.

Also it includes both DLSS integration as well as FSR integration. Both at the same time means everyone wins here. FSR works on all gpus from AMD 400 and up as well as 10 series and up.

Will see if either work together with a triple setup. I really hope so otherwise this will be frustrating. It took ages to get triple support in ACC after launch, I would not be surprised if a DLSS / FSR implementation only works for single screens. Better to be ready for disappointment than the other way around.

I cannot think of any other game that has both DLSS and triple support (and by triple support I mean games that have 3 independent projections not a stretched single projection) so this will be a precedent.

Will see if either work together with a triple setup. I really hope so otherwise this will be frustrating. It took ages to get triple support in ACC after launch, I would not be surprised if a DLSS / FSR implementation only works for single screens. Better to be ready for disappointment than the other way around.

I cannot think of any other game that has both DLSS and triple support (and by triple support I mean games that have 3 independent projections not a stretched single projection) so this will be a precedent.
source

"Q: Where does DLSS provide the biggest benefit? And why isn’t it available for all resolutions?
A: The results of DLSS vary a bit, because each game has different characteristics based on the game engine, complexity of content, and the time spent on training. Our supercomputer never sleeps, and we continue to train and improve our deep learning neural network even after a game’s launch. When we have improvements to performance or image quality ready, we provide them to you via NVIDIA software updates.

DLSS is designed to boost frame rates at high GPU workloads (i.e. when your framerate is low and your GPU is working to its full capacity without bottlenecks or other limitations). If your game is already running at high frame rates, your GPU’s frame rendering time may be shorter than the DLSS execution time. In this case, DLSS is not available because it would not improve your framerate. However, if your game is heavily utilizing the GPU (e.g. FPS is below ~60), DLSS provides an optimal performance boost. You can crank up your settings to maximize your gains. (Note: 60 FPS is an approximation -- the exact number varies by game and what graphics settings are enabled)

To put it a bit more technically, DLSS requires a fixed amount of GPU time per frame to run the deep neural network. Thus, games that run at lower frame rates (proportionally less fixed workload) or higher resolutions (greater pixel shading savings), benefit more from DLSS. For games running at high frame rates or low resolutions, DLSS may not boost performance. When your GPU’s frame rendering time is shorter than what it takes to execute the DLSS model, we don’t enable DLSS. We only enable DLSS for cases where you will receive a performance gain. DLSS availability is game-specific, and depends on your GPU and selected display resolution."

I think it's up to Kunos to implement DLSS in such a way, that it works for their game in the Unreal 4 engine. Since triple support is a regular feature in ACC I would guess that Kunos will try to make it work. If not, there is a technical issue going on, of which I'm sure they will at least apoligize and try a fix in the next update.

Myself I'm looking forward to test this. I run 7680*1440 in a triple config on a 2080ti / i7-9700. And need to use the High graphic preset because the Epic preset is a little too much. My aim is 60-80 FPS, where 60 is at race start with as many visible cars as possible. When going Epic I think the DLSS should work nicely for my situation. The announcement on NVIDIA's website for ACC looks very promising.

Last edited:
Ha thankfully ACC 1.8 turns out the DLSS works just fine for triples. FSR as well.

However not keen on the slightly blurry / soft looking image of DLSS and it has some ghosting as well where things are moving very fast. But you are getting a nice framerate boost. Getting something like 120-130fps in high preset DLSS balanced now using triple 1440p, whereas it was around 90fps before. (while using a 3090FE watercooled boosting to 2070-2100mhz and a 5800x).

Tuning the settings though I'm getting 140+ with FSR balanced. I'm sure can get it higher with some more tuning of the graphics settings. Sure its technically not as good an image as DLSS but for some reason it seems a lot nicer seeing things in motion with FSR.

I am getting somewhere close to 120 fps also, on high graphics setting, and DLSS.

I've always been a little annoyed at blurry background, unsure if I can tell the difference yet in background blurriness between non-DLSS.

I somewhat recently bought a 10600k to replace my 7700k thinking i was going to hold out on my 1080Ti for a while longer, well i just couldn't help myself and grabbed a RTX 3080 last week. Well i see in some places that the 10600k cant keep up and im wondering if i should swap it out for a 11700k? Would i see any improvement getting that bit faster single core or would i be better going for faster RAM from my 300 c15? I have a z590 so can get the 11700k and not willing to now swap to 12th gen.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back