I need help dealing with a next-door neighbour.

My next-door neighbour is a drug-addict and alcoholic.

He usually asks me to take him for rides to places because he has no car, and, he watches my mom coming into our house from work. Though, he has not asked me for favours, even though he tells my mom, "I won't hurt Mo.", I would say no to him in an instant, but, the problem is, he gets quite angry if you don't accepts his favours.

A little backstory of him, his mom was my neighbour, and, she smoked cigarettes, but, did nothing hard; I used to visit her to see her dog, and, sometimes we would talk. She died of lung cancer on February 2010. Her son inherited the house and her car, which he totaled. I never suspected him of drug use, but, I did notice he drank a lot with his friends before. One day, he asked me to take him to the hospital because he had diabetes, and, I couldn't say no out of the goodness of my heart. So, he was discharged early because he wanted my mom to care for him, so, he was cared, and my mom told me not to open the door for him.

A couple months later, he committed a hit-and-run and fled the scene; police were after him and a couple of days before his court date, he lied to my mom about committing suicide and was sent to the psychiatric wing of my local hospital. The police told my mom and I to be careful of him and report him if he does anything unscrupulous. My mom and I are paranoid of him and I hope he goes back to court and is found guilty and sentenced to prison.

The worst part of it all, he has a pistol or even a rifle. I talked to my mom and pondered on the idea of training ourselves to use a pistol because I said, "If he wants to play by the gun, then, we can play by the gun too!" I believe people like myself with mental illness should not be allowed to hold a gun, but, that is not law in Alabama.

He does cocaine (a hard drug that creates problems), marijuana (almost harmless drug), and, of course, he drinks hard alcohol like vodka and tequila. Drug usage and constant drunkenness has been known to make people unstable, so, I am scared that one day, he might knock on my door, and, if I peek through the window and he sees my eye, but, I don't respond, he will get angry, lose sanity, and start trying to shoot me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any hard evidence of him smoking weed or snorting coke, that's enough to have his firearm priveliges revoked and most likely arrested on the spot. If you're really sketched out by him to the point of fearing safety I'd set up some sort of camera and point it at his balcony or w/e you can see, chances are you'll catch him doing something unsavory and they'll be all the hard evidence you need.

In the meantime you any go wrong with a 12 gague. Everyone comprendes that 12 gague racking sound if you have any fear of him standing at your door possibly armed that should be enough deterrent to get him to leave you alone.

I'd suggest get a Mossberg 12gauge pump-action Mohammed.
Distinctive sound to warn them off (as Miguel says), nothing is as scary looking as that big hole in the end of 12g barrel, easier to use in a high-stress situation than a pistol, reliable yet cheap because they've been making them for years & they must be good because that's what the police & military use.
But most of all, Mossberg are offering free defensive use classes at the moment to women & family members to those that buy one new in some states over there, get in touch with a dealer to find out more/if your eligible....
Get one with an 18 or 20inch barrel for using in close confines like a hallway or door-way & get one of those ultra-bright flashing LED torches mounted on it for dis-orientating those you might need to point it at.
Don't keep it by the door, keep it at a fall back point- no point next to the door if they've just kicked it in!
Never tell or show it to anyone or it'll be stolen one day.
And in the meantime, get a couple of those small camera's that also record in the dark to a HDD for additional security as well as documenting evidence if anything should ever go wrong.
Keep them out of view as best as possible but more so that your getting the best coverage of your property as possible as well as one which will get a view of their face(s) upon entry.
Don't do anything to antagonize him (such as obviously pointing camera's directly at his house), but don't let him have his way either as in his mind your then a push-over that can be used whenever he feels then need or want....
BTW, you don't strike me as having any mental illness that would/should strike you from owning firearms as we all have our little quirks & perks (Ive got a bit of an OCD with washing my hands & a paranoia of authorities), bit old matey sounds like a ticking time-bomb.
Good luck in your situation there & I hope it resolves itself soon with minimal drama to you & your family.

I have great news.

My neighbour has been trying to sell his house since late last year. Last night, there was a moving truck and some movers that hauled his stuff. I really hope it means the house is sold.

For six months, the sale on his house was pending, now, the movers hauled a lot of things and his friends are helping him move some things too.

I really truly hope the house is sold, and, I also hope my new neighbours aren't drug addicts, alcoholics, gun addicts, and/or racists.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 365 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%