I miss the automatic got-to-last-read-comment logic

Shovas

Premium
I recall in the past there was some forum logic that would take you back to the last comment in a thread that you had viewed

But now it never seems to work

I had noticed this for quite a while but definitely confirmed it with the GTR Revival thread (and confirmed it again just now)

I've read that thread to about page 6 or 7 (and it's now at 10) but when I click over to it I'm put right back at page 1 at the top of the article

Would be nice to get that logic back as it makes reading much nicer

Reactions: F_B
Hmm, do you mean the news article https://www.racedepartment.com/news/gtr-is-set-for-a-revival.770/ ?
If so, then I suspect what's going on is that the article-handling system unfortunately isn't yet behaving the way we'd ideally want (i.e. like the regular threads). I believe that @Bram Hengeveld has been discussing this with the creator of the relevant forum add-on.
In a thread (like this thread), the behaviour you describe does still work correctly I believe, and you also get a "Jump to new" button at the top of the page which will take you there.

In a thread (like this thread), the behaviour you describe does still work correctly I believe, and you also get a "Jump to new" button at the top of the page which will take you there.

Ah, yes, I miss that. Thanks

PS. Just noticed the typo in the subject *facepalm*

Dont wanna make a new thread, so i post here :)
On download page of a mod, wth are there new articles first on the right, idfc about that, the mod info for the download in question should be first. Edit2: i remember this being better before big site overhaul
Do i really have to make ublock filter for that?
edit: typo
:
1664440404644.png
1664440488083.png

Last edited:
I've not been around RD much over the past couple of years but the usability has certainly taken a step backwards;

• As per this thread, in the past clicking the thread title would take you to the first unread post, now it just dumps you at Post #1
  • There used to be a little icon next to a thread title which did the same as above "Go to first unread" or something like that, it's vanished
  • News articles for specific titles are not in the section devoted for that title any more, why? they are hidden in some other section so you have to trawl through other links to find the news article you were reading only to try and remember what Page you read up to because of the points above....!

Change is always a risk as you can't please everyone, with these changes add me to the "not pleased" list. thanks

I've not been around RD much over the past couple of years but the usability has certainly taken a step backwards;

• As per this thread, in the past clicking the thread title would take you to the first unread post, now it just dumps you at Post #1
  • There used to be a little icon next to a thread title which did the same as above "Go to first unread" or something like that, it's vanished
  • News articles for specific titles are not in the section devoted for that title any more, why? they are hidden in some other section so you have to trawl through other links to find the news article you were reading only to try and remember what Page you read up to because of the points above....!

Change is always a risk as you can't please everyone, with these changes add me to the "not pleased" list. thanks
Don't you still get the "Jump to new" button in normal forum threads like this one?
The "news articles" (see above), which have /news/ in the URL, are using an article-handling add-on which sadly doesn't yet have the feature to bring you to the latest unread reply.

I see that button in this thread but most of the threads I'm viewing don't have that I guess because they're front page /news/ threads.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back