I just picked up Automobilista

For $8 during the winter sale on steam and I am utterly staggered at how good it feels.

I always thought I'd get to it eventually staying busy with rF2 and others, but out of the box this is the most natural and linear virtual driving experience I've ever had.
The FFB is without a doubt the best I've felt to date in a sim, very similar to rF2 but it feels more refined.
I can drive much faster and have more confidence for some reason with AMS.
I guess better late then never so now off to the mod section to find some holiday cheer.

Any recommendations as to where to start or must haves for mods?

Last edited:
For $8 during the winter sale on steam and I am utterly staggered at how good it feels.

I always thought I'd get to it eventually staying busy with rF2 and others, but out of the box this is the most natural and linear virtual driving experience I've ever had.
The FFB is without a doubt the best I've felt to date in a sim, very similar to rF2 but it feels more refined. I'm aware they use the same engine/physics but I can drive much faster and more comfortably for some reason with AMS.
I guess better late then never so now off to the mod section to find some holiday cheer.

Jason, in my opinion this is the ultimate AMS resource. Patrick is a track guru !! He has updated and added to the pack in addition to these tracks. You have many hours of driving before you get close to exhausting the official vehicle content. Dont forget the sale on the DLC's either. There is some brilliant content in those.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/automobilista-ultimate-trackpack-28-tracks-41-layouts.125715/
By the way, try the MCR 2000 at Bathurst (MT. Panorama) at night. Amazing combo

Welcome to AMS. The new will not wear off. Greatest sim on the market for all the reasons you already discovered. And Jamie is spot on----get everything Patrick has produced. His tracks are as good or better than Reiza content, and you simply must experience his CART Extreme and 911 RSR '74 mods.

Also, go back to Steam and get ALL the addon packs while they are on sale. Lots of great tracks and cars in those packs for 75 % off.

+1 to the above: get all the DLCs (there is one more coming, in addition to the Puma cars that will soon join the core game) and the tracks from Patrick. That will already give tons of content, with very different driving feel.

Yes you can basically get any rF1 mod in AMS. But I would not jump on mods straight away; you can get lots of fun with the original content, everything is well polished, with dynamic features that you won't get with mods. Brazilian tracks are pretty unknown but they are really worth trying, lots of hidden gems in there!

Except Patrick, no one knows how to add the dynamic road surface; I miss changing grip and condition with other add-on tracks. Same for cars: most of them don't have the features that Reiza added (dirty tires when you get of tracks). All the original content is really well polished and to the same standard; using rF1 mods won't be a lot different that our beloved old rFactor, you'll be missing all the work Reiza did to push the limit of this old game engine...

I echo the posts above: buy the DLCs while they're cheap, explore the marvellous and extensive stock content, download Patrick Giranthon's we-are-not-worthy track pack and also his 911 RSR '74 and CART mods. There are Formula 1 skins of all eras to be had at Race Department, plus V8 Supercar, MCR2000, Metalmoro and Boxer Cup, etc., skins that enhance the game's appearance. It's probably a good idea to join the Reiza forum, too.

Last edited:
Just a note that @Gringo has been further updating the tracks from the trackpack individually, with the latest shaders and textures, you'll find them in the DL section still under Patrick's name.
But as everyone else has said there is so much great content in the game itself you can well afford to wait before adding mods.
Yes get the dlc, it's the usual top quality Reiza standard.

Jason, in my opinion this is the ultimate AMS resource. Patrick is a track guru !! He has updated and added to the pack in addition to these tracks. You have many hours of driving before you get close to exhausting the official vehicle content. Dont forget the sale on the DLC's either. There is some brilliant content in those.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/automobilista-ultimate-trackpack-28-tracks-41-layouts.125715/
By the way, try the MCR 2000 at Bathurst (MT. Panorama) at night. Amazing combo

Installed and impressed with the ultimate track pack!
Now on to graphics, it looks very good and I'm getting 150fps on Ultra running a 1050ti paired to an ultra wide 2560/1080p.
Are there any good graphics mods and how are you racing Bathurst at night?
Edit: Found the time of day in setup.

Last edited:

The FFB is without a doubt the best I've felt to date in a sim, very similar to rF2 but it feels more refined.

Now you now why a bunch of us are so enthusiastic about AMS despite its aged foundation. The devs have massaged the right things to the right extent that matter for authenticity of racing. Other than prior-gen graphics, this is a better and more complete title than any other out there.

Help Reiza by spreading the word (and getting the full DLC pack if you haven't already).

Some great race combos. Opala 86 at Cadwell. Montanas at Brands, SuperV8 at Virginia. Formula classic at Imola 88. Obviously depending on your interests and style. BarberGP by ClimaxF1 is a great mod, check out his resources, Formula Trucks are a must, racing in them is so satisfying.

It's an absolute bargain.

How I describe it is that the cars feel like they have weight, which translates to being able to 'feel and being connected to the road'. You can even tell when you watching offboard and you can see how the car reacts to bumps and even when hitting solid objects.

I agree on the feel... but I can't for the love of GOD... get my usb converted Fanatic clubsport/McLaren wheel to not be seen as a JOYSTICk and it ALWAYS supercedes my Simcube and is placed as joy2, and con't use my OSW wheel!.... I have to UPLUG the USB and have no buttons!!!!!....ANYONE have a fix??

I agree on the feel... but I can't for the love of GOD... get my usb converted Fanatic clubsport/McLaren wheel to not be seen as a JOYSTICk and it ALWAYS supercedes my Simcube and is placed as joy2, and con't use my OSW wheel!.... I have to UPLUG the USB and have no buttons!!!!!....ANYONE have a fix??

I have no help for that I'm sorry, but having issues myself.
What AA settings are you all using I'm having terrible white shimmering going on.
Sweet FX set on Legacy Emulation AA set at High+/8x/4x.
PC is 1050ti/G4560 I'm getting 150fps.

Edit:
I've tried every setting available using Nvidia inspector, all forms of AA and all Sweetshade including a few mods. The best looking combination for me is Sweetshade off, advanced AA setting off, then 8x multisample.
It gives a very smooth consistent image @150fps. I hope this helps someone out!

Last edited:
I have no help for that I'm sorry, but having issues myself.
What AA settings are you all using I'm having terrible white shimmering going on.
Sweet FX set on Legacy Emulation AA set at High+/8x/4x.
PC is 1050ti/G4560 I'm getting 150fps.

I've tried going into Nvidia control panel to manually set but it keeps saying access denied and will not apply my changes.[/

Well I’m actually using AMD video card (one of the liquid cooled ones.). No issues at all... I do have another gaming pc that has a nvidea video card, I could check it out see if it works or if I have any issues. I will let you know what the skinny is

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/win-10-device-order-fix.159798/
With this tool you will fix your devices order, also check if in-game options, under the device list, there is a flagged option about dx input devices.
Enjoy!

Take a look at this tool for setting 32 bit programs (like AMS) to always see game controllers in a particular order. This together with JoyToKey, solved all my problems with Windows' random reordering of controllers and the six controller limit of AMS.

https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/win-10-device-order-fix.159798/
With this tool you will fix your devices order, also check if in-game options, under the device list, there is a flagged option about dx input devices.
Enjoy!

Agree with this! Although I fixed a similar seemingly intractable frustration by just changing which USB port on the back of the PC certain things were plugged into. I have multiple 3.0 and 2.0 options and it turns out the Windows numbering of devices plugged-in depended on which port they were in.

The alternative to some trial and error is the app mentioned above.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 442 39.6%