I have to do something to increase FOV width

Using FOV calculator, I am too far in to see the exit of corners. I have gotten used to everything except that, and it drives me crazy, I can't see when to get on the throttle when exiting a corner.

Thinking of going VR rather than triple screen to increase FOV width (or at least be able to look towards the exit of the turn).

My priorities are:
1. FOV
2. no blurryness when moving
3. "sweet spot" sensitivity
4. refresh rate - maybe tied with resolution

The HP reverb G2 seems to fit the bill, but one article on using it for SIM racing stated that their RTX 2080 ti GPU was only just barely enough to run the reverb to the levels that get the most from the unit. Less than that, you have to start reducing video settings.

My PC is i7-4790, with a RTX 2070 Super GPU.

Do you agree that the G2 needs more than that to run optimally?

I could pick up a Oculus Quest 2 for a fraction of the price, seems like what I would lose mostly with it is FOV. From what I can find out, Oculus FOV is 92 deg. vs 98 deg with the G2.

I have a 2080ti and the G2, the G2 is epic for sure but I would agree my gpu doesn't unless all of its potential but neither would an RTX 3090, I would personally recommend it for you still provided you don't want to play ACC as that's a real shimmery **** show in VR. If you play AC, RF2, AM2 then I think you'll enjoy the experience. Also if you race a lot of open-wheel cars the immersion is unreal

Upvote 0
Thinking of going VR rather than triple screen to increase FOV width (or at least be able to look towards the exit of the turn).

Neither VR nor a triple-monitor setup is an option for me, because my living situation is such I cannot allow myself to become too immersed in any activity -- including sleep, unfortunately! -- nor do I have space for a triple monitor setup. Plus, I'm on a fairly tight budget, so my options are limited by that as well. <sigh>

For now, my solution was to switch from a 16:9, 27" monitor to a 21:9, 34" monitor (alas, I have neither the space nor the budget for an even wider monitor, let alone a 32:9 format one) and also considerably increase the "look to apex" setting available in RaceRoom (and, I assume, other sims as well?)

With both of these steps combined, I'm now able to actually see the apex entering, say, the final corner at Laguna Seca, instead of guesstimating its location and turning in basically blind.

Also, using Crew Chief when racing significantly improves my awareness of other cars around me. I find it too distracting during practice sessions, so now use it for races only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My rig stands in the living room, using the TV set as a display. (Was a console user before I became fed up with their walled garden.)
Thus, dialing in the correct FOV was kind of a task, and triples were never an option. Before I went for VR, I was very happy with headtracking, retrieving the best experience with a DIY EdTracker.
I used the yaw and roll axes only, with a slightly progressive curve for yaw:
1615812860137.png

(Read: turning my head about 55° to the sides resulted in a 90° change of direction in game.)
It took surprisingly little training to get used to the movement translation.

The result looked like this:

Upvote 0
I was unable to make that work for me. My "hand" on the steering wheel was humongous, no way I could adjust to fit that.
I am using triple monitors, so can't adjust FOV, just adjust distance to screen.

However, I did make what I think is significant progress. I double checked my distance to screen (was only off by 10mm), and set my seat position more forward. In AC there is no zero, or neutral point for forward and back. ACC does have a zero position.

I had been running my seat position back quite a bit, trying to give myself more view out side windows in an attempt to see apexes better. That worked, but moving my seat forward was kind of a wow moment, made me feel more like I was sitting in a car and looking out the windshield. Definitely decreased my FOV, but first time in my short time in SIM racing where I really had an ah-ha moment.

Upvote 0
I was unable to make that work for me. My "hand" on the steering wheel was humongous, no way I could adjust to fit that.
I am using triple monitors, so can't adjust FOV, just adjust distance to screen.

However, I did make what I think is significant progress. I double checked my distance to screen (was only off by 10mm), and set my seat position more forward. In AC there is no zero, or neutral point for forward and back. ACC does have a zero position.

I had been running my seat position back quite a bit, trying to give myself more view out side windows in an attempt to see apexes better. That worked, but moving my seat forward was kind of a wow moment, made me feel more like I was sitting in a car and looking out the windshield. Definitely decreased my FOV, but first time in my short time in SIM racing where I really had an ah-ha moment.
you could try trackir, it's fairly cheap and gets the job done. i used to use it when i raced on monitor. now i've switched to VR

Upvote 0

If you tell the triple screen setup tool that you're seated a little closer than you actually are, that increases FOV. Making it 15-30 mm closer will give you that slight FOV edge.

The method posted by @Berghe will only be correct if the modeled steering wheel diameter matches your sim rig's steering wheel and your hands are the same size as the model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back