I have no money! How to travel to an onsite eSport event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
money-2724241_1920.jpg

Image credit: pixabay
The questions / remarks have been posted a few times already on the official forum. 'Why do I need to pay for my own travel', 'I am not very wealthy, how do I come to an onsite event' etc. Might sound difficult to travel to onsite events in theory but it's a lot easier in practice. Easier than you might think at first at least!

The word you are looking for here is sponsoring. If you are fast enough to qualify for an onsite round of the SRO E-Sport GT Series through the online (SILVER) qualifier-system it means you have the potential to win the series' Grand Finale, which makes you a special talented driver. For talented esporters there is always a budget available to get a full paid sponsorship somewhere. But you need to be persistent and creative. Think of:
  • Family support. If mom and dad (or your kids if you are my age :D) support you in pursuing a career in motorsport or esport (this is the shortest way of getting your bum into a real racing Lambo!) they might be able to chip in for a flight to one of the four onsite rounds. Just explain them the concept and you might be surprised by the outcome.
  • Friends support, see family support. But don't forget to brag about your qualities as a racer.
  • Local sponsorship. Have a look in your own local community. Maybe the local gamestore, bakery, butcher or LAMBO DEALER (!!) might want to support you. After all you are the upcoming global star of esports racing remember? Sell yourself to the world!
  • Industry sponsor. If you are a monster talent there is always a simracing company willing to support you, just ask them and show your impressive CV!
  • Patreon support. Ask your online racing buddies to chip in!
  • Online fundraiser. Dedicate a page to your mission of becoming the next esport Senna!
  • Lastly: get a job, work hard and invest it in a cheap EasyJet flight, hostel and off you go.
10 years ago when we ran the Virtual World Touring Car Championship which was also an online/onsite series of events and those that were really dedicated pursuing a career into esport or motorsport all found a way to come to the events and that was in the middle of "the financial crisis". That said PRO esport teams also pay for their own expenses and travel costs.

Motorsport is and always be expensive but those that are smart and creative always find a way to race, whether that's online, onsite, virtual or in real life.

Good luck chasing your dreams, it can be done and now the route to get to the ultimate end goal is the shortest in esport history! 1) qualify yourself online 2) win the onsite round 3) win the final 4) test the Lamborghini and get picked by the team! Simple right? :thumbsup:

Do you have any other tips how to fund your travel to the onsite events? We're happy to read them in the comments below!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media by hitting the buttons below!

Lol why the hell are they not doing it the Mc laren shadow way ( online qualif + race) then on site final with transport and hotel paid by the organizer ! are they really that poor ?

For me, who come from far, very far, (Madagascar) i found in esport an unprecedently open sport to everyone in every continent where i thought only talent count, especially us in Africa where motorsport is nearly impossible due to cost or even if you have race car there is no circuit !, and now then back to the same story !

Lol why the hell are they not doing it the Mc laren shadow way ( online qualif + race) then on site final with transport and hotel paid by the organizer ! are they really that poor ?
Think that question is not really that hard to answer. This is a whole different type of esport which includes travelling to various onsite events (and enjoying the actual real series as well!). I think you are underestimating the costs involved if you have to fly in everybody a full season long to various locations.

That said my article still applies to you in Africa as well. If you are truly the hottest talent (or at least know how to sell your skills to interested sponsors), getting to an onsite event isn't impossible, on the contrary. Make enough fuzz and the sponsors will find you nowadays.

For me, who come from far, very far, (Madagascar) i found in esport an unprecedently open sport to everyone in every continent where i thought only talent count, especially us in Africa where motorsport is nearly impossible due to cost or even if you have race car there is no circuit !, and now then back to the same story !

I'd argue this is likely not the only esports series they're gonna have because of its obvious shortcomings and exclusivity. (especially if they want to continue down the "make motorsports more accessible through esports" road) However as an extra for some race week-ends it is a good thing, provided there is more to come for those of us who can't get money or are past their "race driver material" age. :)

The idea of spreading it out all over the world is very odd. Why not have the lower level semi-finals online, and only have the finals somewhere (like Spa). Not that it concerns me

Because an arena with simulators has an entertainment value for on-site visitors as well.

We are lucky we know what simracing is however not all motorsportfans (and professionals) know about our great hobby and such events are a great way to welcome more enthusiasts to our niche.

Without exception all who go on board of a simulator are infected with the same incurable virus we luckily already have ;)

Sure, but who the hell can afford chasing a globe-trotting eSport tournament at their own expense. Even one trip to Spa at their own expense would be an investment for many students

Getting sponsors is required in many sports. But this will limit a lot of talented drivers from even trying. Many on-site visitors don't necessarily go into every race in Blancpain, but attend only the local one (or travel to something like Spa) and watch the rest from their screens at home

Last edited:
Think that question is not really that hard to answer. This is a whole different type of esport which includes travelling to various onsite events (and enjoying the actual real series as well!). I think you are underestimating the costs involved if you have to fly in everybody a full season long to various locations.

That said my article still applies to you in Africa as well. If you are truly the hottest talent (or at least know how to sell your skills to interested sponsors), getting to an onsite event isn't impossible, on the contrary. Make enough fuzz and the sponsors will find you nowadays.
"On site" and they called it "e-Sport", I think of it as amenities for the people that was actually going to attend the races anyways, better approach and eyes on it if is like the other one (Granted, Leaving the Tablet stuff out of it). If a player have the money to follow around this series, may as well have the money to try and do it in real life.

Many on-site visitors don't necessarily go into every race in Blancpain, but attend only the local one (or travel to something like Spa) and watch the rest from their screens at home
I think you misread the concept then. You don't need to attend at all four rounds and the final. It's fine at attend at just one and then qualify for the final. Nobody needs to visits four onsite events and a final.

The four onsite events (Monza, Paul-Ricard, Spa-Francorchamps and Nurburgring) are considered semi-finals with the winners going straight to the grand finale in Barcelona.

There is even an alternative way to reach the grand finale, but more on that later when the time is right. **Cough**

I think you misread the concept then. You don't need to attend at all four rounds and the final. It's fine at attend at just one and then qualify for the final. Nobody needs to visits four onsite events and a final.

The four onsite events (Monza, Paul-Ricard, Spa-Francorchamps and Nurburgring) are considered semi-finals with the winners going straight to the grand finale in Barcelona.
Oh ok, Thanks for the clarification, living in Dominican Republic I can only watch, LOL

I look at it differently.
If you're truly that good and believe you can win you just have to get there then Lamborghini foots the bill after correct?

A flight, hotel, and food.
A quick search from any major airport here in the states shows I can be standing in Monza with a full belly and a hotel room key for $1000 USD.
Surely we all can find a grand?

I genuinely wish the very best of luck to anyone that is ambitious and dedicated enough to enter this fantastic opportunity. Fully appreciate that generating the funds can be very difficult, but if you want it enough and believe in your abilities enough you should be willing to do what you can to secure a race seat.

Hmm......as I work for an international airline, I see a potential side business arising transporting gamers to esports events :)

Edit: I also won't make you sell your sole for a sponsorship and be someone's puppet...just a piece of the pie if you win.

Kurupt Esports is now recruiting! Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%