F1 2014 I have been playing F1 2014 for more than two weeks, my Review

F1 2014 The Game (Codemasters)
This my own opinion about the game (The final release version)

The game is not completed, its full off bugs and it feels rushed, But if you are baying it you cant hold it on anyone since the devs are saying its a WORK IN PROGRESS
I was expecting more but they did not deliver and i truly think this a huge set back for the series

Some info i collected for you guys

The BAD

-Most cars have the same steering wheels, which only shows the gear your on
-Some cars only have one Rear view mirror (EX: Ferrari on right side only)
-Some cars are extremely over powered unlike real life (EX: Ferrari)
-ERS, is not working in the game yet (Codemasters said that its delivered auto, but i honestly didn't/couldn't see when its applied!)
-No real life branding on some cars (EX: Martini branding and the red stripe on the Williams are not there) Codemasters had to remove all alcohol advertising!
-No Young Driver Test, you only have a one quick test (3 or 5 laps around Monza, very easy to beat)
-No classic content in F1 2014
-No helmet camera
-No DRS
indicator is shown in cockpit view infect almost nothing important showing on cockpit view
(There is a green button on the steering wheel that suppose to indicate DRS but its not working on my end) you can only hear a bip in DRS zones.
-No formation laps
-You cant control the car when pitting
-Fuel management is very easy (The fuel seems to take 2.5 laps to reduce that +1 fuel you get on the start on Rich setting and it regenerate really fast on lean settings) Yes we all know the new V6 is fuel friendlier than before but in this game its not right.
-Tire management is very easy (There was only one thing i liked about F1 2013 tire management, but in the new game you can abuse the tires)
-You cant take more than +1 lap fuel with you even on cautious strategy
-You cant change the gear box settings! (F1 2014 rules says that cannot change gear box setting only on Australia, and one more final time in Spa) But in this game you only get in the Quick setup the option to choose between Dry option or Wet option, if you move it to Dry it will give higher gear box ratio and if you move it to Wet it will give you lower gear box ratio) BUT this option is meant for wins setups, if you choose setup for a wet conditions it will raise the wins more aerodynamics .
-Same graphics, Some changes on a few tracks
-Same old animations (Codemasters said that there is new animations BUT there is nothing new)
-All teams are unlocked from the start so you can shoos any car in carrier mode right from the start (it took some of the fan away from the game, you start in slow team but you have to prove your self for faster teams...Not in 2014!)
-the game Still cant do any loading while Auto-saving
-Some Steering wheels are buggy or not working (Cannot confirm yet but i saw some posts about steering wheels being buggy! )
-The sounds are annoying (other cars, People sheering, Tires sounds) after a while you will find your self going to the audio option and reducing some sound. and there nothing similar to real life about it.
-Penalties and warnings, lol they are still the worst, now there is some corners you cut w/out any penalties and some other corners you cant even touch the apex or you will get a penalty
-Dry or Wet conditions are almost the same, nothing sim about it

There is too many things but im honestly tired ....

The GOOD
-New cars with New engines
-New physics
-New Tracks (We all know the new tracks :))
-New AI... not too different but they are a bit aware sometimes too aggressive, but they are fun
-New Game Pad settings (0% Dead Zone, And the made it feel better and there no twitching using joysticks, you can even get good times using game pads, in other words they re-worked the settings from the start)
-New challenges and time attacks
-New driver evaluation system (Honestly i didn't see any difference) maybe in Challenge season but its messed up, when i played through it i used the Cathrem, the first race i finished 7th on Legend , the next race i finished in 1st place with 6 seconds ahead of everyone.

Well that's about it really nothing new the game is basically Work in progress which could mean that they are working on next gen or they are going bust... or they just didnt care any more!
And unfortunately the game is still arcady more than a sim and still have the same exact texture as F1 2013, i believe this whole thing could have just been a DLC for less than 10$

So is it worth buying
yes and no, yes because we all are F1 fans and will end up buying it any way for mods, because mods are everything when it comes to this series, but i dont think the game is worth 49.99$ on steam and around 40$ for consoles, at least not for now, maybe if they fix all issues and release free DLCs...

This my own opinion about the game so you can have a different opinion its totally fine :)

Last edited:
At first: i'm with you in a lotta things they needed to improve to make a cool F1 game, but they failed again.
Handling is crap, i go purple on first two sectors @ melbourne with a FW36, last sector, i lose 2 seconds, the car is undriveable in the last sector, tried that in a Merc., same thing. I use a Bodnar set up, i don't know why am i failing in the last sector, is not that i wanna make the pole position in the first race at career mode, but it seems unfair, so i tried with an xbox 360 controller, same stuff, same problem at the 3rd sector of melbourne.
Liverys and stuff, well, you guys have made a great work with the original ones and not the s**t codemasters sold us for 49 dollars -which in my country is a lotta money-. I downloaded some mods and now the game has something fun to play: cameras: i use the cockpit camera, i need that camera, i don't use another to play, they should've taken the helmet cam from nfssu2 and the vertigo from it, make it realistic as f*ck and let us play.
I think those options will come in 2015, as same as making your own character, more realistic crashes, i don't mean beamng, but if it's possible, cool then.
I might be asking a lot for them, but they're charging us 49 dollars for a game that doesn't go with our expectations, is a mere arcade game in a PC, PS3, PS4, XBOX and whatever console system is out there.
I need realism, i need tyre lock, i need camber, caster, roll bars, front wing angle, not single numbers from 1 to 11, i need a more technical stuff, like Grand Prix 2, or rFactor.
Just needed to say that, but the game is kinda fun to play, except for the AI, sometimes i think stupidity is spelled AI.

Where do you think you're having issues in the final sector?

At first, I was losing a lot of time in the last 2 corners, but I realized I can break a lot later in the 2nd to last corner as it widens up, don't gear down as much as the V8s as you have ample torque. I've gotten through that bit in 2nd or 3rd gear and still had to modulate throttle or else it'll step out. After realizing that, I take it a gear higher than I would in the rest of the slow corners and gained a lot more pace. Try that. You have 8 gears, use them all.

I finished my first race not too long ago in the williams @25%. I was lapping in the 1:32-33s (which btw, is about the same speed as the real life Nico Rosbery's fastest lap in Australia) in qualifying where I got it on pole and I'm not even the fastest player out there by far. Then I tried a Mercedes in time trial and got a 1:28... not trying to brag but you get very quick and close to real world lap times. Just gotta take advantage of these years' cars.

Where do you think you're having issues in the final sector?

At first, I was losing a lot of time in the last 2 corners, but I realized I can break a lot later in the 2nd to last corner as it widens up, don't gear down as much as the V8s as you have ample torque. I've gotten through that bit in 2nd or 3rd gear and still had to modulate throttle or else it'll step out. After realizing that, I take it a gear higher than I would in the rest of the slow corners and gained a lot more pace. Try that. You have 8 gears, use them all.

I finished my first race not too long ago in the williams @25%. I was lapping in the 1:32-33s (which btw, is about the same speed as the real life Nico Rosbery's fastest lap in Australia) in qualifying where I got it on pole and I'm not even the fastest player out there by far. Then I tried a Mercedes in time trial and got a 1:28... not trying to brag but you get very quick and close to real world lap times. Just gotta take advantage of these years' cars.
Hey mate, i've read your thing too, i think it's a matter of time, but in game time, because i enter the 2nd last corner -previous to the last, the entry to the main straight- in 2nd gear, i try not to brake too late because of understeering and reach the grass, but i don't brake too soon in order not to step into the kerb and eliminate the apex, lose some speed and stuff. I'm now in williams, did a quite decent qualy but using 3 soft compounds to get into q2, i wasn't able to. In race, i'm in lean but reaching 1'33"5xx without drs open, while RBR's and MB's are getting into 1'29"8xx in the first laps of the event, quite too soon, but i have chosen legend AI. I'm not gonna use my bodnar setup anymore until they release a patch update in which times are significantly equal to 2014 standards, it seems anyone but me in the AI is running in V8's and beam wings.
In Q1 i reached the 1'30"250 approx, and it was a rich lap, new tyres, and a clean lap, a little bit oversteerie in the last corner, both bodnar and xbox controller.
cheers

Hey mate, i've read your thing too, i think it's a matter of time, but in game time, because i enter the 2nd last corner -previous to the last, the entry to the main straight- in 2nd gear, i try not to brake too late because of understeering and reach the grass, but i don't brake too soon in order not to step into the kerb and eliminate the apex, lose some speed and stuff. I'm now in williams, did a quite decent qualy but using 3 soft compounds to get into q2, i wasn't able to. In race, i'm in lean but reaching 1'33"5xx without drs open, while RBR's and MB's are getting into 1'29"8xx in the first laps of the event, quite too soon, but i have chosen legend AI. I'm not gonna use my bodnar setup anymore until they release a patch update in which times are significantly equal to 2014 standards, it seems anyone but me in the AI is running in V8's and beam wings.
In Q1 i reached the 1'30"250 approx, and it was a rich lap, new tyres, and a clean lap, a little bit oversteerie in the last corner, both bodnar and xbox controller.
cheers

Legends in game doesnt mean they will be like real life, They are meant for us guys who can get 1.22 and 1.21 once in Australia...(only before race, during race its scripted that you wont get too fast). nothing is real about it

Pro are similar to real life in terms of times, and you want reality rFactor 2 FSR,
im considering it my self once i have enough time

There are no updates.

The one and only patch was a release day patch (PS3 audio patch), there has been nothing since as far as I am aware.

There has been only one PC patch which added support for 3 steering wheels, just after release.

This game is essentially a touched up modified version F1 2013. (Which had 7 patches).

If they do use a promised new game engine in F1 2015 , then expect more patches than they had this year :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%