I got my FPS back!

Short story: ACC used to run crappy on my senior PC, now it doesn't. I'm not gonna explain a thing because it's all well written here in plain english: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

You need to see hidden folders for this path:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Copy and paste this in the very bottom, thanks for the beer.

[ConsoleVariables] r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1 r.DistanceFieldAO=0 r.HZBOcclusion=0 r.LensFlareQuality=0 r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0 r.SSR=0 r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24 r.DetailMode=0 r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1 r.AllowLandscapeShadows=0 r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0

1 lap at MISANO, SUNSET
COMPARISON.png

Cattura.PNG

DEFAULT: Avg: 56.9 - Min: 43 - Max: 70
MODDED: Avg: 62.3 - Min: 46 - Max: 78

FPS Diff.: Avg: +5.4 - Min: +3 - Max: +8

Thanks @2stains for the AO suggestion.

Last edited:
r.RefractionQuality=2 set, is this removing rain drops?
This line forces raindrops to be visible, so you always saw the rain on the windshield. But you're forcing the refraction quality via the engine.ini, I'd prefer to delete the line if it's not for FPS boost and just let UE4 manage the remaining settings by itself.
I was using r.RefractionQuality=0 to improve fps even more, but I had no droplets. Now I'm losing around 10% performance overall, but at least I can see the rain again.

Last edited:
Recently I tried different new lines of code with minor results in FPS and graphics. Need more testing.

r.SSS.Scale=0 r.SSS.HalfRes=1 r.SSGI.HalfRes=1 r.CapsuleShadows=0

If anyone has some knowledge of UE4 let me know. I'm still trying to disable reflections and get some more performance out of shadows.

Last edited:
I suspect that the waving flags eat a massive slice of FPS.
Have a look at this static frame in the replay: I stopped the replay hitting the "pause" button and took two screenshots with the only difference being the replay speed. The image is static in both situations, but the flags keep waving. I'm referring to the black bollards with the GT Challenge logo on it and the many small flags on the grandstands. Maybe there are other dynamic objects. I wonder if there is a way to make them static.

COMP.png

Last edited:
A couple of waving flags in the distance can drop 14 FPS? Hmm, not sure but I doubt that, since
they look like small animations routines.
Well in AC a single overlay app without that many things in it can drop 20% or more fps.
The rendering of these overlays happens in the main cpu thread so when you're CPU limited, like most in AC, it has a massive impact.

I guess it's not only waves.. More like windmills, flowing water, waving marshalls, dynamic lights etc.

I've been testing Engine.ini files today taking screenshots and driving laps comparing FPS in clear weather and found this file to run highest FPS while adding AO that isn't there with the default Engine file and my current settings !!
ATM i have 5 different Engine.ini files renamed and swapping between them to find this to be best imo ;)
and this is my current "final" settings for 1080p triples on 1080Ti/7700k ;)
Worked also well for my 32:9 1080p running 8700k and 2080ti

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years