I can't go faster than AI!

I'm a newbie come ton Race series. I'm play with AI at 90% and novice difficult. In race day, i can pass AI easily. But in practice and qualifying, I'm always in the end. I can't pass AI's laptime. I think if i can pass AI in race day, i must faster than AI. What's my problem? Thanks for your help!

The AI will go around a second quicker in qualy, but the best racing experiance you can get is here at RD. Once you feel comfortable driving the cars then sign up to the club and start racing online. That should help you improve :)

Hey skyline,

I have the same problem.
I'm racing at 96%
in qualification is 11th place a very good result for me
but in race I have a much higher pace compared to the AI.
I still haven't figured out how that's possible.
It feels unrealistic.
Btw, it's the first time I know that someone else is complaining about it
other than myself.

Nice to know I ain't the only one

I have exactly the same problem as Skyline and Tim. I'm usually reasonably near the back in Qualifying but in race day I win, most of the time.

It's really annoying, AFAIK this is the only game it happens in, in rF it's no problem.

EDIT: Punctuation and spelling lol.

Ok here is how you change it:

Go open up the track folder and go into a file called "AIW"
Scroll down a bit untill you see a line called "Race/Qual Ratio"

WorstAdjust=(0.8500) // Used for 70% AI strength option
MidAdjust=(1.0900) // Used for 100% AI strength option (note that AIs now use full throttle above 95% AI strength option)
BestAdjust=(1.2000) // Used for 120% AI strength option
RaceQualRatio=(0.9950) // Used to slow down AI slightly in race compared to qualification
CheatDelta=(0.0000,0.0000,0.0000)

If at 1 the Qualifying pace will be at identical pace to the Race pace. 0.9999 or less qualifying will be quicker if above 1 race pace will be quicker than qually pace.

Hope this helps :)

The standard is 0.9000 I think. I have already edited that one a while back because the same problem was bugging me.

I think its just trail and error to see what level you want the ratio at. Personally I like it just under 1.

Always a bunch of people dicouraging a threadmaker about AI by telling him to go online instead of helping out. Way to go.

I think nobody wants to discourage anybody, but it's all about fun isnt it? You have more fun racing against real drivers.

The AI, as good as it might be, still behaves strangly in some situations and you can not learn from them because you never know whether they are fast or not, as it is track dependent. Only when you race against other drivers you will gain an understanding what's fast and what's not fast.

I understand very well from where the query is coming, as everybody when getting into this does not want to be embarrassed by becoming last in a race or being lapped a couple of times (felt the same).

But the important message is, it does not matter! You anyway will be lapped, even when you beat the AI at 100% (the group of people with enourmous talent who win race right from the beginning is very small). You need to gain driving experience to become faster, but you only gain experience if you participate in race which you prepare with training sessions, but that way you have an aim.

One thing that I tend to use the AI for is trying to follow a car, but even that does not work very well. As in many (if not most) of the cases as a beginner the AI bets you in the corners but on the straights you are faster than they, so when you manage to follow them in the corner you bump them easily off while exiting (so it is a good training session to not bump them off :) ).

• Jake McCloy

Ok here is how you change it:

Go open up the track folder and go into a file called "AIW"
Scroll down a bit untill you see a line called "Race/Qual Ratio"

If at 1 the Qualifying pace will be at identical pace to the Race pace. 0.9999 or less qualifying will be quicker if above 1 race pace will be quicker than qually pace.

Hope this helps :)

I have the Steam version of GTR Evo installed (I also have the disk version but choose to opt for the Steam install due to convenience) and don't seem to be able to locate these files? Where are they?

I believe you'll find them in the Race On\gamedata\location\<track name> folders.

I'm at work so I cant check the exact location, but from memory that should be it.

I've not done this myself, but it seems from what Matjaz said it will be necessary to do it for each track individually.

@Karl: I appreciate what your saying, but encouraging people to get online and play is not a bad thing. The AI is weird, because it has to drive in an unreal way to stay on the track. And RD is a great place to learn :)

• vmagics

I disable the qualify session when racing the AI and instead just set my starting position to somewhere around 2/3 of the way back - ie. in a race with 15 cars on track, I start at position 10. This gives me plenty of cars to overtake and a few to threaten me from behind.
Karl, to be fair Skyline86 was concerned that he was doing something wrong. Several people confirmed that it was an inherent problem with the game, not his fault and Ross kindly offered a solution. What's the problem?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%