I cannot shift into 1st gear when I start the race

It shifts well all the time but when I start the race, after the greenflag, I cannot shift into 1st gear. I am using t300 and th8a for my gear. When I try to, it just stays at neutral. The car is mx5 and rookie cup. It shifts well all the time again, only when I start the race, I can't shift into 1st gear.

This confuses me also, I'm using auto-clutch at the moment, with paddle shift.
I've jump started twice now, and I'm afraid of getting rammed from behind if I don't get off the line clean.
How do you make a start with auto-clutch?

This confuses me also, I'm using auto-clutch at the moment, with paddle shift.
I've jump started twice now, and I'm afraid of getting rammed from behind if I don't get off the line clean.
How do you make a start with auto-clutch?
Alternatively, you can skip qualifying and start in last place if this is a big concern. I did it many times when I was starting out.

Yeah, been doing that, up to D license now with nice consistent times, decent finishes - so time to get grid starting!
Waiting on shifter to arrive, another couple of weeks. Clutch pedal + paddle shift is unnatural and can't get the hang of it, so auto-clutch at least for a little while yet.

So what are you supposed to, revs up and just shift into 1st when the light goes green?

So what are you supposed to, revs up and just shift into 1st when the light goes green?
Best way to start with autoclutch is to press the brakes fully, get in first gear, when the lights turn red press the accelerator fully, when lights go green release slowly the brakes, and you're gone. Not the fastest but no wheel spin, no waiting, just a safe and consistant start each time.

Best way is to assign clutch to a button on the wheel. Engage clutch, select first and then rev up to around 6k, then when lights go green let go of the clutch button and away you go. Once I got out of Rookie I haven't used it as F488 Challenge races are rolling starts

Best way is to assign clutch to a button on the wheel. Engage clutch, select first and then rev up to around 6k, then when lights go green let go of the clutch button and away you go. Once I got out of Rookie I haven't used it as F488 Challenge races are rolling starts
That will work with low powered cars, like the MX5 and the Skippy, but releasing the clutch with a button will not work with more powerful cars, like the Radical for example.

And @alexSchmurtz I totally get what you mean about the Radical now.

I woke up this morning with a present from iRacing, a shiny new C License!
So I unwrapped it, bought a few tracks for the upcoming Season 3 of F488 Challenge but then thought I may as well check the C License filter...
Low and behold, the holy grail of Radical is now open to me!
I jumped in the car at Watkins Glen and had an amazing race.
People were actually racing each other, giving each other room, not deliberately taking each other out...
I can't believe it's just the license that does this, or maybe it is, but people seemed genuinely focused on having a good race and not spoiling anyone else's.

But yes, back to what you advised on the clutch... the button thingy that I said worked on the Mazda definitely doesn't work here...
Think I'll be reinstalling my clutch pedal this week!

Last edited:
But yes, back to what you advised on the clutch... the button thingy that I said worked on the Mazda definitely doesn't work here...
Think I'll be reinstalling my clutch pedal this week!
:D I was really thinking of the Radical when I wrote above. I've seen people just turn around as soon as the lights go green because they never practiced a standing start. If you use the clutch, spend a bit of time practicing your start. I stick to my method, much safer and consistent.

Congrats on the new license! I hope you'll enjoy the new series you can enter now. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 436 39.5%