DiRT Rally I cannot setup my racing wheel on dirt rally

Good morning, I have a problem that I cannot solve with my racing wheel on Dirt Rally, running on Ubuntu 20.04.
The wheel is a cheap 90 degree lock-to-lock without force feedback, 6 axes, 12 buttons.
I use it without problem in Assetto corsa and in Grid Autosport.
In the options menu, under the "choose preset" menu, usually there are:

- keyboard
- keyboard (azerty)
- some gamepad preset
- direct input, with the possibility to choose between joystick, gamepad and wheel (by pressing F1)

If I connect my xbox (chinese copy) gamepad (8 axes, 15 buttons), I have all of these options, plus more gamepad preset. If, with the gamepad, I choose the preset with "wheel" direct input, and set the left stick as steer, the steering is immediate, direct. Unplayable with gamepad. And appear an "advanced wheel options" menu, where I can choose linearity from -10 to +10, deadzone and saturation.
If I choose the gamepad preset, appear an "advanced gamepad options" menu, where I can choose linearity from 0 to 100, deadzone and sensitivity.
With the gamepad preset (instead of wheel preset), the steering is not as direct as using "wheel" option, and is playable with gamepad.

If I connect my wheel, by default there are various gamepad preset, but there isn't the possibility to choose the direct input as with the gamepad (that's strange). Using the wheel with these settings, the game is unplayable (the wheel don't move as I want, is filtered).
So I try to open the "input" folder inside the game "common" folder, where there are various ".xml" files.
Here there are lots of preset for all of the supported racing wheels and gamepad. I try to delete all files except of:

- dinput_default.xml
- feral_paths.xml
- icons.xml
- keyboard.xml
- keyboard_azerty.xml
- mouse.xml
- paths.xml
- strings.xml

Now, If I open again the input options in the game, appear the possibility to choose "wheel" as direct input, but I cannot choose it: if I press F1 and set "wheel", when I go back it become "gamepad". When I set the command "left" and "right", the game read my wheel input as "left LS" and "right LS", appear the "advanced gamepad options" but not the "advanced wheel option.

I try to change the "Use your global steam input" on the in-game options on steam to "forced-off", nothing changed.
That wheel works correctly in Grid Autosport, and is recognized as "speedlink darkfire" (it is not a speedlink darkfire but PID & VID are the same). So I copy the "sl_darkfire.xml" in the grid folder and paste in the dirt rally folder, and modify "paths.xml" and "feral_paths.xml" by adding a line with "sl_darkfire.xml". I verify that syntax is the same (it is), nothing changed.
I try to modify these xml files in various manner, but I cannot see differences. The wheel is always recognized as gamepad.

I know that is a cheap wheel and maybe I must buy a better one, but this wheel works on all others games, so I don't know why in dirt rally not.
Someone could help me?

Thanks

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%