I can understand the AI had a bad day, but why does it take it out on me???

Óscar Melero

Foxtochop
First of all, I've got to say that I'm spanish and my level of english is actually good but I might fail on some words or expressions. Also, I'm kind of a rookie in racing sims so don't take me too seriously because I might say something stupid. If so, pls tell me what's wrong with me and how to do it right. Now, my thoughts:

I was looking forward all day to race this afternoon against the AI at RedBull Ring, but things went like nightmare (again) on the first, second, third, fourth... (etc) turns. I start on the right side of the grid, so I keep right till I reach half-first lap and trying at my BEST not to crash or, if I can, touch any car. The thing is: it's actually impossible for me to do that. I keep watching videos, gameplays to hopefully see (I do not) what I'm doing wrong and how to do it right. AI keeps wrecking me out at any turn so many times that I finally thought that the poor guys just had a bad day and try to overtake me by brute force.

I did NOT set it at Adaptative and I did NOT set it at 120. It's at 100 and, not best driver in freaking world but I do actually well at practice like most of you guys.

I KNOW I'm doing something wrong. What. Why. How can I do to race the most pacefully posible? Thx for reading.

PD: I'm not, I repeat: not, blaming S3 guys, they just did a really good game and I can understand it's in beta state, but i do not understand what I'm doing wrong.

No AI behavior expert here, and I might say something plain wrong, but I believe that the regular slider for AI's difficulty extends to its consequential level of aggression. Translated into simple words: if you raise the difficulty not only their laptimes get better but they become more aggressive to achieve that particular timing.
In your case since they're not ADAPTING to anything, if they see a slower car on a particular turn is more feasible for them to just ram it out instead of slowing down or change trajectory cause they've sort of a "preset laptime" to achieve.
They probably adjust to minimal discrepancies: for example if you're just slightly slower than their actual pace they might just mildly bump you, but not sure at all.
I found that the best way to race in SP against the AI is the AAI. 8/10 gives you just the right challenge for your current skill.
Try that one, or simply, lower the difficulty slider to 95-96 ;)

No AI behavior expert here, and I might say something plain wrong, but I believe that the regular slider for AI's difficulty extends to its consequential level of aggression. Translated into simple words: if you raise the difficulty not only their laptimes are better but they become more aggressive to achieve that particular timing.
In your case since they're not ADAPTING to anything, if they see a slower car on a particular turn is more feasible for them to just ram it out instead of slowing down or change trajectory cause they've sort of a "preset laptime" to achieve.
They probably adjust to minimal discrepancies: for example if you're just slightly slower than their actual pace they might just mildly bump you, but not sure at all.
I found that the best way to race in SP against the AI is the AAI. 8/10 gives you just the right challenge for your current skill.
Try that one, or simply, lower the difficulty slider to 95-96 ;)
Ok, thanks man :) But what do you mean by "8/10"?

Exactely! 80% of time the races with the AAI are challenging and fun. Just remember to do Practice & Quali to teach the AI your trajectories and laptimes, so they do better during the Race session.

Also, before starting to play against the AAI, go in your C:\Users\XXX\Documents\my games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1 and delete the file aiadaption.xml so you're sure you're starting off with an updated AI (this because they've released the new patch this month).
Have a good race!!

This lack of respect / overly-aggressive AI has been a problem since they introduced it. I think it got a little better with the November update but it needs to be better.

Solution: AI should brake harder to avoid contact just like real drivers would drive in order not to cause so much havoc.

..bad days :D

do think aswell they try to achieve a specific laptime and bump you out to achieve it. Depends on car and track also...ADAC i can take easily 105%. Canhard -> back to 90% (!), Other car, maybe 100%... pretty unbalanced atm. trying to find the best ai strength, but recognized, it's useless as end-user...ai with tracks just needs balancing, they ain't that bad at all.

for a good race against the ai , the AI either needs a good day or me atleast three if not five "restart race" :cautious:

Exactely! 80% of time the races with the AAI are challenging and fun. Just remember to do Practice & Quali to teach the AI your trajectories and laptimes, so they do better during the Race session.

Also, before starting to play against the AAI, go in your C:\Users\XXX\Documents\my games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1 and delete the file aiadaption.xml so you're sure you're starting off with an updated AI (this because they've released the new patch this month).
Have a good race!!
Thx!! I didn't know about that .xml file. I'll delete it and test again, sure they have improved it.

..bad days :D

do think aswell they try to achieve a specific laptime and bump you out to achieve it. Depends on car and track also...ADAC i can take easily 105%. Canhard -> back to 90% (!), Other car, maybe 100%... pretty unbalanced atm. trying to find the best ai strength, but recognized, it's useless as end-user...ai with tracks just needs balancing, they ain't that bad at all.

for a good race against the ai , the AI either needs a good day or me atleast three if not five "restart race" :cautious:
I noticed that too. For certain car i have to tone down the Ai. My only complaints about ai there is a weird physic thing happening when you touch someone. The cars starts spinning for no reasons, Even the slightest touch will send you into a spin. Thats one of the reason i don't like racing the Ai.
Ill stick with leaderboard hot lap and online racing.

I noticed that too. For certain car i have to tone down the Ai. My only complaints about ai there is a weird physic thing happening when you touch someone. The cars starts spinning for no reasons, Even the slightest touch will send you into a spin. Thats one of the reason i don't like racing the Ai.
Ill stick with leaderboard hot lap and online racing.
About AI settings in different cars, it's the same for me too.
But I think this has something to do with how good you are in that car.
At least, I can relate higher difficulty to cars I'm more used to or prefer.
Cars I haven't spent that much time with, I have to lower 10 units or more.

But spinning after bumping into AI is nothing i'm familiar with, I can bump and get bumped without spinning out.
It happens, but not that often or exaggerated as it sound like for you.

But spinning after bumping into AI is nothing i'm familiar with, I can bump and get bumped without spinning out.
It happens, but not that often or exaggerated as it sound like for you.

Ill check some of my replay's and see if i still have the last race.

@Heppsan

there you go i did have a recording. Watch it at about a minute in i start using slow motion and you can tell it was really odd. ( watch at 60fps )

Last edited:
Ill check some of my replay's and see if i still have the last race.

@Heppsan

there you go i did have a recording. Watch it at about a minute in i start using slow motion and you can tell it was really odd. ( watch at 60fps )
I don't know, but it looks like it was a pretty hard hit.. (you where traveling in very different speeds when you hit) Imagine this crash in real life. ;)
And the AI was spinning out as much as you, so at least it wasn't an unfair spin in that manner.

I don't know, but it looks like it was a pretty hard hit.. (you where traveling in very different speeds when you hit) Imagine this crash in real life. ;)
And the AI was spinning out as much as you, so at least it wasn't an unfair spin in that manner.
i dont disagree but the spin is initiated in a weird way, I have experience this many time with AI even when i get push from behind i start spinning. Like i said its not always but it happens and its odd.
That is ok, i have never been a big fan of racing alone anyway, Well i do like leaderboard but i am challenging someones time or myself thats different, beating a AI to me brings me no joy. So leaderboard and online is for me.

I keep watching videos, gameplays to hopefully see (I do not) what I'm doing wrong and how to do it right. AI keeps wrecking me out at any turn so many times that I finally thought that the poor guys just had a bad day and try to overtake me by brute force.

Hello Foxtochop,

As a general hint try to race at the beginning with a reduced grid-size.

On the Red-Bull-Ring, you have to take special care of the second corner, the AI tends to acclerate into you if you are to slow. Since i am taking another line in the second corner (which is also faster) i am almost never rammed there.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 76 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 48 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 105 13.8%