I Am Tired of This

Is planning your own pit-stops still necessary nowadays?

I am just back from a race. It isn’t important to know in which sim exactly, as this problem is a widespread issue among simracing and not present in just one title. I've spun twice during this race, as it has happened other times in similar conditions. Want to know why that happens? Because, I was more focused planning my future pit-stop rather than driving. I had to make 2, per mandatory rules, and I spun twice, one per each. It is pretty obvious, considering that driving competitively requires pretty much all of your focus, and be there thinking and calculating, multiplying and dividing how much fuel you should get aboard, which tires with which levels of pressure, when to enter, etc., is basically a recipe for disaster.

This happening frequently as I said, it got me thinking: is it really necessary? I want to simulate being a racing driver, not an engineer, and while I may understand the thrill of it, if I wanted to play some strategy game, I’d be playing some Total War, Civilization or else, which are all titles I very much enjoy. Even Motorsport Manger is on the table, as an option to mix strategy with motor racing is available nowadays. I don’t want to spend time thinking about stuff that, honestly, doesn’t compete to any racing driver in the world (aside from rare exceptions). As well as a crew chief, I want an engineer taking care of me while racing.

However, how to do so? Well, it is 2020. We are no longer in the early ’00. An AI running in the background, automatically and arithmetically calculating how much fuel I have left, how many stints do I still need to do, which tires would be best to fit on and telling me when to box, while it has taken care of all these details, is something very much doable today, I believe. Of course, it could be optional. Nobody needs to have it forcibly on if he/she really doesn’t want to, but the option should be there. Again, it’s 2020. I want to focus on driving, modern PCs (and consoles) have more than enough juice to run such an AI taking care of this stuff for me while I drive. Yes, it might make a mistake, ruin my race, but after all isn’t this what happens in real races too? It’s part of the game. For sure it will be better, however, than having to do something that I shouldn’t really be doing, as far as a simulation of being a racing driver is concerned. Most likely instead, it will do better than me in pretty much every case and scenario.

Simracing has made incredible jumps forwards in physics, graphics and sounds, but an aspect like this of the simulation is still anchored to the very origins of the genre. I think that it is time to change.

I would very much like to hear our readers thoughts about the subject, however, as I think it could make for an engaging conversation. Let us know what you think!

forza_ms7_pit.jpg

Vettel had to do this driving a real F1 and with a full team, and we can't do it while driving in a sim?

Pit strategy needs to be planned BEFORE the race, while racing you just need to do minor adjustment, due to traffic and fuel saving.

There are a lot of driving games or racing series whit no refuelling, drive something else!

Modifying a pre-planned pitstop strategy on the fly during a race is a PITA.
I even purchased a small programmable keypad to have better input options, but even then you have to take your attention away from the race to do it of course. More than once I screwed up the corner entry after a long straight because of that. Long live Paul Ricard and the Mistral straight ....

You can shop via Alexa nowadays, why not use voice inputs to make commands to a race engineer that supports you during the race? Heck I would like to see an AI race engineer make suggestions on strategy so that I concentrate on racing.
Allow for team mates to adjust your strategy on driver swap events (not possible in ACC).

Racing and engineering at the same time is stressful and tiring.

For games that support it SimHub has quite a few ways to calculate how long you have left on your current fuel load and how much you need to put in to make it to the end, whilst you still have to scroll the pit menu to whatever level it means you don't have to do the mental calculations yourself. I would think it would be easy enough to make something that predicts good tyre pressures using track temperature too.

I do wish more sims had an option like RaceRoom though where you can select from Safe, Normal and Risky fuel amounts that the game has worked out in the background.

Last edited:
I have no problems doing that
I think NR2003 did this automatically, don't remember if tires were included (if it'd suggest to pick only 2 for example) but fuel for sure was set automatically counting the moment you are in the race, so if you dont need full refuel to the end it just gave you the correct amount

If you found this difficult imagine if you raced in my leagues back then that had FCY (GT3) lol... it could mess up with your strategy so bad, but it was too much fun really

Last edited:
Not sure which game it is and not sure if i'm missing something here, but those that don't enjoy the pit-stops can turned it off.
The option to have control over it is good for those who want to do it, so it shouldn't be removed.

Pre-race it feels natural to plan my pitsstops "together" with my engineer. While racing I completely agree with you, it should be like real life where they adjust the plan for you if required with of course the option to change something you don't like.

The biggest hassle is driving on a constantly changing track where you have to adjust tyre pressures for every stop, especially if it is a track without proper straights.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 93 13.7%