I am pulling my hair out!

dear friends and fellow racers have had my copy of GTR EVOLUTION for about 3 weeks now..and all is well except 1 major stumbling block!!!. The issue is that when i try to set up my own dedicated server so that my friends can join my game i cannot get any of my friends to join ,this is because when they hit the ok button in the required field it goes dark then reverts back to ok and no one can join i have a ping of + 5000 and (why i have no clues ) i'm about to bin the bleedin thing .I am on a router i have cleared everything on the firewall so thats not the issue have port forwarded all relevant ports have even tried using himachi as a vpn all with no success PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yield:

• Morgan Sowerby

In order to host a server you need some massive Upload bandwidth. Most home connections don't have enough. That's why most people rent servers to host games.

sounds like a similar problem that happened with gtr2 when you tried to host and run a game from the same ip address in that the router did not know which pc to forward the ports to, to cure it you had to up the port range on the server to fix it.
Have a look in the server ini file for a line telling you which port range or port begin and change it to suit and then do the same with the router.

Evo support pages lists the ports to be forwarded for LAN and internet games. Both sets of ports must be forwarded no matter which kind of game you are hosting - internet or LAN.

I cannot stress this enough. If you don't forward ALL the ports, you will get the massive pings.

TCP+UDP 48942 – 48957

UDP 26900-26907 and 48958-48973

oh by the way running a quad core 6700 at 2.8 mhz with a nvidia 9800 gtx occ 512mb gpu with 4 gb of ddr2 ddram on a asus formula striker 2 mainboard think it's plenty strong enough just believe it's shitty steam!!! bit like going back to the bad old days with gamespy HELP!!!

the nature of racing games needs high voulumes of data to be successful online. port forwarding is a must. available bandwidth will be drastically cut with each person that joins.

imaginesending all the data from your car. the full realtime telemtry and track position info to the server so that it knows where you are.your server has to send all that data plus that of everyone else to every other user simultaneously. it soon adds up. you might get better results during off peak times when network congestion is less of an issue, but realisticly you will never get a meaningfull amount of people into a server on an average domestic broadband connection.

Ping of 5000 usually means not all ports are forwarded correctly.

Make sure you forward the necessary ports on your router and also on any software firewall e.g. windows firewall, zonealarm etc. A lot of people forget the software firewall.

ports are the first thing to check, which sounds like you have aready. But the biggest issues with R07/GTRE is Routers/Modems.

I had a great router that hosted GTR2 and rF and every other game that I tried, but not R07/GTRE after much surfing the web found that my router would never work. got another router of another brand (Linksys/Cisco) and worked perfectly with ports opened...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 379 39.6%