I absent-mindedly turned off the main power switch while PC was in sleep mode.

I am never using Sleep Mode again.

Now my PC will not shut down unless I shut the main power or hold the power button. It does not do it by itself.

Should I...

System Restore?
Disk check?
Reconfigure other settings.

I use Windows 7 Pro.

If you are familiar with Windows, then you can open up msconfig from the run command and see what all is starting with your system. You could then prevent anything that isn't essential from starting and see if the issue persists. Once you get the system to shut down properly, you could then start adding things back to the startup and shutting down after each to see which one is preventing your system from shutting down properly.

After doing that, it would be a matter of just uninstalling the faulty program and reinstalling if you want it and all should be good.

BTW, this typically happens when a piece of hardware either isn't designed properly or a driver gets corrupt due to running sleep mode and is not something that happens because you hit the power button to turn the system off. In sleep mode, nothing should be writing to the disk so there should be no possibility to get corruption from shutting down from sleep mode.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back