Physics Hybrid torque curves & CVT gearboxes

I'm wondering if anyone has looked into how to accurately estimate the torque curves for hybrid cars, if different models work in different ways, if it's possible to construct a formula for estimating a graph like we do with convetional cars.
I'm not making any new cars, I have absolutely no 3D modelling experience. I'm just tinkering & understanding.. Again I'm not focusing on a particular hybrid car, trying to understand the theory behind estimating a torque curve for them generally.
I've never driven or worked with a hybrid so I'm working purely on numbers.

When I look for specs for hybrids I get a peak torque & power reading for both electric motor & petrol engine, I assume I need to combine the two together, question is how?
However I combine them I always end up with odd & surely incorrect results. I'm wondering if there is clever computer electronics at work limiting the torque on the electric motor so that it meshes neatly with the petrol engine, otherwise I end up with like a saw tooth on the torque curve where the electric motor starts to drop off above 3000 rpm and the petrol engine hasn't built up the torque to match it. Or I end up with way more power output than I would expect.

Also if the hybrid has a CVT gearbox, would I be better off to just use a single gear & let the torque substitute the need for lower ratios?
I've never driven a car with a CVT either..

Any help is most appreciated. Thank you.

Electric motors behave pretty close to an ideal conversion of electricity to horsepower, the one catch is that they're almost always electronically capped on torque so they won't break ****. The upshot is that their basic torque curve is gonna be max torque from 0 to X rpm, and then tapering off above that, so that it maintains the same horsepower above that point.

Just talking real world stuff, no idea how hybrids in AC work.

As for CVTs, I guess you could do that yeah, pick the longest ratio it achieves, and then at any rpm below that, increase the torque to compensate for lack of CVT.

I wouldn't know how to script it all to work properly in AC anyway, I was wondering purely from a torque curve perspective I could place in the power.lut file.

Both the elecrtic motor & petrol engine are simple enough to map individually, it's the interaction between the two that is causing issues.

I have on scribbles in front of me for instance a Toyota minivan. petrol engine 200nm@4500rpm & 150hp@ just under 6000. Plus the electric motor all I have is 410nm & 210hp, so if you plot the torque up the rpm range it gets to 210hp around 3500 - 4000rpm.
If I add both torque curves together I end up with a hybrid minivan outputting 550nm@3500rpm ish & 380hp@6000
Which can't be right surely?
Think of the vomit little ones would produce in the back seat of a 380hp MPV, you'd need wipers on the insides too..
It says that it shuts down the pertol engine at low speeds & at high speeds the petrol engine takes most of the load but I can't find any more detail than that. I'm wondering if that will reduce overall torque & power levels to those expected of a normal minivan rather than a sports car? But still have no idea how to predict the torque curve taking that into account, I just don't get enough specific details.

One thing going on in Toyota hybrids is that they use a planetary gear to combine three motors so the gear ratios are not the same between gas and electric, don't think it's really viable to model how it actually works in AC, but the outcome is that if the gas engine is stopped, the electric can only go up to a certain speed since the final speed is a blend of the motor speeds.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back