Hurricane Patricia Causing F1 Havoc

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
austin.jpg
Torrential rain and strong winds caused chaos with Formula One's Friday Free Practice sessions, severely limiting running during the morning session and causing a compete washout of the second session, with fans and staff track-side advised to stay indoors due to the severity of the conditions.

With weather forecasts from the area promising little relief for the rain soaked fans at the circuit, could Formula One be facing a qualifying washout at this weekends Grand Prix?

Paddock rumour has it that F1 may have to postpone Saturday’s proceedings altogether, rescheduling qualifying for Sunday morning when the weather could be better. This would not be a first for Formula One, with a similar situation presented itself during the Japanese Grand Prix in 2010 and qualifying was moved to Sunday morning before the race.

Steffen Dietz of Ubimet (F1 weather service) had the following to say “It looks as though the rain will increase now. “It could mean there is no qualifying at all. We are expecting local flooding in and around Austin.”

Although causing problems in Texas, Patricia has struck the Pacific coast with wind speeds reaching up to 325kph leaving many F1 fans concerned about the prospects of an uninterrupted event next time out in Mexico at the newly updated Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez.

Mexican driver Sergio Perez said,
"Since the start of the first session this morning, the conditions have not been ideal, so we have only been able to complete a handful of laps. It's a real shame for all the fans who came to see the action. At this moment, however, my main worry is for my country. Mexico is being hit by the largest hurricane in its history and all my thoughts are with my people. I am praying for everyone to be safe"​

With rain disrupted practice sessions and the potential for qualifying to be delayed to Sunday morning, we could be looking at a topsy-turvy grid for Sunday's Grand Prix. Lets hope it's a safe weekend and the race provides plenty of thrills and spills for us fans to enjoy.

Who do you think will win the US Grand Prix this weekend? Leave your comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a safety issue they can cancel the race yes. If they decided to run it on the Monday I don't know? I would think they have to up sticks and setoff for Mexico so it would be declared a null and void event.

To be honest I'm not too sure what the regulations state for this situation. Anyone got a rule book handy?

To be honest I'm not too sure what the regulations state for this situation. Anyone got a rule book handy?

FIA Doesn't allow Re-Runs on monday since Malaysia 2009 due all the shipping and money involved.

so If the race gets canceled then Mr.Hamilton will be crowed championship (Sadly enough) :(

FIA Rulebook

My concerns aren't really about whether or not we have a race. At least the latest I'm hearing re: Patricia is that it's weakening significantly, but the welfare and safety of everyone that could be affected here is of the utmost importance.

I'll be honest, I didn't even know there was a 'Hurricane Patricia' when I tuned-in and heard them talking about it during my recording of Free Practice... I work too much.

I would like to see a 'wet-race' this F1 season, but not at the expense of safety for those involved.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%